Cannot get thread on suppressor off

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

C. Chaos
Silent Operator

Cannot get thread on suppressor off

Post by C. Chaos »

I pretty much leave my can on my PDW all the time and now it won't come off. When searching around for something to put on the threads to help hold it on, I came across many suggestions saying to use thread tape...which I did. Now I fear it has melted and permanently attached the can to the barrel.

I have not tried a vise because it is on so tight I know I will break the upper. I have tried two people holding the upper and trying to turn it...nothing. And this was two strong individuals.

Now...I have not tried to shoot it to get it hot, then try to unscrew it yet. I have read that I should rather heat the can from the outside, rather than inside. However it is cerekoted and I would like to make that a last resort if I can.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Or just leave it?
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cannot get thread on suppressor off

Post by A-Game »

What Silencer is it?

Do not apply a torch to your silencer :lol:

You can try an oil filter wrench. If it is a SilencerCo Omega this will usually remove the outer tube.

Put the upper in a vise block or slip a reaction rod in the upper.

Try that first and see how it goes.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
MisterHelix
Silent Operator

Post by MisterHelix »

Squirt some Aero-Kroil so that it can penetrate the threads. Worked for me.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I second the use of a "reaction rod". Its use takes all the strain off the aluminum upper and can also be used when putting on and off other muzzle devices.
C. Chaos
Silent Operator

Post by C. Chaos »

MisterHelix wrote:Squirt some Aero-Kroil so that it can penetrate the threads. Worked for me.
Whole Bunches wrote:I second the use of a "reaction rod". Its use takes all the strain off the aluminum upper and can also be used when putting on and off other muzzle devices.

I completely forgot about a reaction rod. I'll try to hunt one down, if not, but one. I will definitely try the AeroKroll too. I"ll chime back in once I try these two avenues.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

...nylon belt strap wrench vice the rubber belt type.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If it's easy for you to shoot, I would soak it with some Kroil or a mix of keroesene and transmission oil. Then shoot half a dozen rounds of supers and try to pull it off while it's still warm.

If you can just step out the back door and shoot I would run a few rounds and try to unscrew it, then apply the oil while it's still warm and try again after it soaks a while.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

dellet wrote:If it's easy for you to shoot, I would soak it with some Kroil or a mix of keroesene and transmission oil. Then shoot half a dozen rounds of supers and try to pull it off while it's still warm.

If you can just step out the back door and shoot I would run a few rounds and try to unscrew it, then apply the oil while it's still warm and try again after it soaks a while.

Dellet is listing ingredients to one of the oldest firearm lubricant recipes that works extremely well.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

A-Game wrote: Dellet is listing ingredients to one of the oldest firearm lubricant recipes that works extremely well.
Dellet makes Ed's Red by the barrel instead of by the gallon. What does that tell you?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

A-Game wrote:
dellet wrote:If it's easy for you to shoot, I would soak it with some Kroil or a mix of keroesene and transmission oil. Then shoot half a dozen rounds of supers and try to pull it off while it's still warm.

Dellet is listing ingredients to one of the oldest firearm lubricant recipes that works extremely well.
Here's a more sophisticated version from Gemtech:
- Ed's Red (home made): Equal parts of Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Kerosene, and Automatic Transmission Fluid.

If you wish to clean your suppressor you may submerge it in one of the solvents listed above. Soak it for 24-48 hours, remove and allow to drain. Once drained, blow the inside of the suppressor dry with compressed air. This cleaning can be helpful in the case of pistol suppressors that are fired "wet" to help remove any buildup of ablative grease, etc. - See more at: https://gemtech.com/technical-support/# ... BVd3P.dpuf

More home brews and a better description of "Ed's Red" qualities.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.