New silencer owner tips

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dolphmiller

New silencer owner tips

Post by dolphmiller »

Hello,
I've been a long time reader of this great forum but I don't post very much. My old username was millejr but was probably deleted since I haven't posted in several years.

Anyway, I've finally gotten the great news that my AAC SDN-6 and Liberty Centurion cans have gotten out of jail (Pending June 1, approved Feb 16, got stamps in this week). I'll be getting them this weekend and was looking for advice on how to get started. I know I need to check concentricity for anything I mount them to as well as checking any loads for stability at close range prior to firing with cans on. Any other advice? Must have cleaning tips or tools? Tricks to mounting 51T mounting device? I've started on some sub loads but had poor results with the first batch. I now have some 1680 and 4227 that I will try next but there is a lot of loading info here on the forum so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks in advance as I'm really looking for anything you experienced guys think would be useful in setting up!
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: New silencer owner tips

Post by TMD »

No need to clean sealed rifle cans. If you shoot a bunch of subs a half dozen supers will burn the carbon right out
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Buy a precision machines rod for alignment of the silencer.
Make sure that the AAC silencer fully engages all the way on the muzzle device or your can will fly down range.
Reloads are stable before attaching silencer
If you shoot with optics get a silencer cover to reduce heat mirage.

Enjoy!
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

A-Game wrote: Make sure that the AAC silencer fully engages all the way on the muzzle device or your can will fly down range.
Words of wisdom. You can cross thread the can pretty easily without a good understanding of it the first time and it will feel secure. But, it will not be secure. AAC has fantastic customer service, btw.

Here's a good place to find reasonably priced rods.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/2086.htm
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

On that AAC can, make sure you hold the locking ratchet thing down when screwing it onto your 51 tooth muzzle device. If you let it ride along the teeth, it will wear out super quick. Even though AAC said they fixed this issue, don't trust it. Better to play it safe than sorry.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
dolphmiller

Post by dolphmiller »

Great info guys, thanks!

It looks like the rods are out of stock, so I'm debating buying some precision rod from McMaster Carr to do the same thing. I don't remember if I saw the trick on this forum or elsewhere, but I'm hoping that will achieve the same result.

I've heard mixed reviews on the 51T mounts as well so the ratcheting trick is smart.

How should the muzzle device be fixed? Torqued only or some blue loctite as well? I've just torqued my flash hider and STD so never really had an issue.
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

dolphmiller wrote:How should the muzzle device be fixed? Torqued only or some blue loctite as well? I've just torqued my flash hider and STD so never really had an issue.
I'd suggest torque only or Roksett, but I don't think Loctite is worth using for this purpose. I've torqued them without issue. Generally, if I believe I'm mounting a device more or less permanently for the life of the barrel, I will use the Roksett. If I'm not sure, I'll just torque it.

Holding the release button while mounting the can is good advice. I've done it ever since the "unintended launch." :shock:
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

It seems nobody has spoken up with the most important tip for a new can owner.... Start saving for the next one, they are addictive!

Kind of like Pringles potato chips, you can't have just one (or two, in your case, since you just got your first and second!)
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Make sure there is a gap between the handguard and suppressor when mounted . My 9-inch barrel with the 8-inch rail was .100 too tight . the locking latch was not all the way engaged and kept coming loose . Had to remove and mill the rail .120 , problem solved .
Chris
redmo

Post by redmo »

As mentioned, make sure your can is screwed on tight. And check to ensure it stays tight ever so often. My SDN had a near baffle strike due to it working loose/not being perfectly tight. I have loaded hundreds of subs with 1680 but have now moved to AA#9 and in my opinion it is a little quieter and much cleaner. Are use rockset for most mounting but have used locktite before with good results as well. Good luck and get ready. It's hard for me to shoot anything other than SUBS now!