Space between rail and suppressor on your SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Space between rail and suppressor on your SBR

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

So I have a 9" barrel, and am considering getting a SOLO 8.5" rail. http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=857
Admittedly, I know nothing about suppressors and QD attachments, but I want to plan for the future when I do have one, hopefully in about 10 months. This rail will be custom cerakoted to match my upper so I wanna get it right the first time. I'd hate to have to dremel it down after it's been coated.

So my question is: what is a safe spacing from the rail to the suppressor, with a muzzle brake mount? Would a 8.5" rail and a 9" barrel work? I know it's kind of a vague question with all the options out there, plus a year from now, who knows. Most responses I've seen say about a 1/2" would work fine, and I'm aiming for as little space as possible for a close fit. I don't know what suppressor I will end up with, but so far I like this one https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... 0122977805
How is everyone else's set up?

Anyway, as always fellers, I appreciate the knowledge.
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Space between rail and suppressor on your SBR

Post by plant.one »

if you want to stay outside of your rail, you'll need to at the very least stay behind the threads.

if your mount choice goes behind the base of the threads, you may need to stay back further.

i put a 7" handguard on my 9" barrel and think it looks pretty good

i do however have a direct thread mount so i could have gotten closer if i wanted to, but i got a good deal on this foreend and its close enough for govt work :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If the measurements are correct, you will need to break out the Dremel.

The breech end of the barrel will sit just under the rail of the upper. The threads will be 1/2" long. If the rail on the guard is a true 8.5" you will come up short. It might come down to how thick of a peel washer you need to time the brake.

Dead Air is supposed to have great customer service, I would contact them and explain what you are doing. What you need to know is if the suppressor mounts flush with the brake and shoulder of the barrel. If it sets forward it will probably work, if the brake becomes recessed into the back of the suppressor it might be trouble.

They may actually be able tell you exactly how much barrel/clearance you need from the end of the handgaurd.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alex Wilson »

To bad Dead Air has to fight with Suppresorshop. I tried to buy a Ghost for months before 41F, but they were only available with random dealers that wanted $150 more than Suppressorshop sold them for. Anyway, back on topic. It's going to depend on what suppressor you buy. A direct thread will probably cause issues and you'll have to trim your rail back as Dellet said.

I have a Rugged Surge that spaces off the muzzle brake. There is about a 1/4 of space so you'd be good with that suppressor. The Razor should do the same thing.

I also have a Liberty Cosmic. I just got it, and haven't looked at it, but I think the fixed barrel is going to cause you issues.

Basically you're gonna have to try a couple of suppressors and see what fits. Hopefully you have some Form4 friends!
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

dellet wrote:What you need to know is if the suppressor mounts flush with the brake and shoulder of the barrel. If it sets forward it will probably work, if the brake becomes recessed into the back of the suppressor it might be trouble.
I see what you're saying. I'll give em a call and see if they can clarify if it's recessed or not.

Thanks, guys. I'm heading down to SLR tomorrow morning to get a gas block and was hoping to pick a rail. I really like the look of that one in the link, the next size down in that model is 7 1/2". I would prefer an 8". They do have another I kinda like in 8", might be a safer bet.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Just spoke with Dead Air, as you said dellet, great customer service. They told me the 8.5" will probably work if I used the flash hider but it would be close, and it may work with the muzzle brake. Maybe a flash hider is a safer bet on that length barrel anyway. Apparently the suppressor recesses a bit more on the brake than the hider on the Sandman-S. And that either would 100% work with the 8" rail, worst case scenario I'd end up with 1/4" - 1/2" spacing.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

A Boy Named Sue wrote:Just spoke with Dead Air, as you said dellet, great customer service. They told me the 8.5" will probably work if I used the flash hider but it would be close, and it may work with the muzzle brake. Maybe a flash hider is a safer bet on that length barrel anyway. Apparently the suppressor recesses a bit more on the brake than the hider on the Sandman-S. And that either would 100% work with the 8" rail, worst case scenario I'd end up with 1/4" - 1/2" spacing.
You could always go to a 10" barrel and have it cut to length or just get a barrel done the length you need.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

dellet wrote:You could always go to a 10" barrel and have it cut to length or just get a barrel done the length you need.
Yea. I already have the 9" barrel though, and I'd like to keep it as short as possible. I did consider going to 10.5" at one point though. I know that extra inch and a half isn't much difference in performance. I think 8" rail and 9" barrel will be fine. If not, I'm pretty handy with a dremel :mrgreen:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

More then likely youll need about 3/4" of difference from rail length vs. Barrel length. If you have not looked into SLR industry, on their website they have tons of different lengths and types. I have built a few different AR's with there rails and gas block and they are my top choice now.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne