300BLK sucks for IDPA

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

68Guy
Silent But Deadly

300BLK sucks for IDPA

Post by 68Guy »

Got your attention huh :lol: ? Soooo, I shot my monthly IDPA match last weekend and for the side match, we did rifle. I chose to use my 8" SBR suppressed 300BLK. I was first up (as RSO, we usually shoot first to validate the scenario). I ran through the course pretty quickly, made great head shots as the 300BLK has little recoil and minimal muzzle rise so that was easy. Got done and the RSO that ran me through said I must have shot TOO fast because.... the timer didn't record ANY shots! My 300BLK was too quiet... <snicker>. It was all in fun and doesn't count toward my rating anyways so no biggie but it was cool because most of the other contestants were shooting the usual AR or AK and a few brought the ear splitting .308 (WHY you would shoot lowly little paper targets at 20 yards with a monster like a .308 is beyond me). So of course, if I shoot this type of match again using my 300BLK, I will either have to use supersonic ammo (and what is the fun in THAT?) or, just do it for grins.

Don't say you haven't been warned.... :shock:
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300BLK sucks for IDPA

Post by Sharkbite »

Haaa. I feel your pain

I was doing some close range work at my indoor range last week. Its a pistol only range so i was using 208 gn subs at ~1000fps. I was doing good with the bare rifle, so i thought "hmm, how does the extra weight of the suppresor change my target transition time".

Can went on...timer went beep... Ran a drill. When i looked down at the timer, ZERO recorded shots.

All i could do was grin.
hoser
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoser »

I was going to shoot Saturday nights match with my 300. Seeing as how it was about 15 and snowing at match time I guess it is a good thing we canceled.

RO-ing a suppressed gun is easy if you remember to keep the timer close to the ejection port when it gets close to the last shot. And if the timer has a sensitivity setting, crank it all the way up.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

hoser wrote:RO-ing a suppressed gun is easy if you remember to keep the timer close to the ejection port when it gets close to the last shot. And if the timer has a sensitivity setting, crank it all the way up.
Well yes I suppose that is true except our course of fire involved movement and we (RSO) definitely don't want to be too close to rifle ejection ports as they can be "vicious" in slinging brass and basically don't want to get anywhere near the business end of a rifle. In reality, I don't think anyone knew how quiet my rifle would be so there were no adjustments to the timer made. This was more of a funny story rather than a true "you CAN'T use a suppressed rifle" tale. We had everything from my ultra quiet 300 BLK, to an old Russian 9mm short to a couple of guys shooting full power M1-Garands. All in fun. Like I said, side matches don't count anyways so it was all in fun for bragging rights. I made a clean run and had really good groups because of how easy it is to make follow up shots suppressed so that was good enough for me. Point taken though Hoser.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I ran my 11.5" .223 with an AAC M4-2000 at an indoor event last year and even with supersonic ammo, their timer could not pick up the shots. Those of us using silencers required the use of conventional stopwatches. :lol:

Next time, I will bring my AAC 9" 300 BLK with the 762-SDN-6 and shoot subs. Can't wait to see what they think then. :P
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

now THAT is a first world problem we would all love to have.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
BWE Firearms

Post by BWE Firearms »

When one of us is using a suppressor in our monthly subgun match the RO has to put the timer right up close to the ejection port to register the last round. The best way to get it to register is to make sure the fired brass hits the timer.
Richard Hoffman

BWE Firearms & Parts
Longwood, FL 32750
(407) 592-3975
[email protected]
www.bwefirearms.com
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Same experience here. I haven't competed with my BLK but outdoors on a range by myself I was trying to compare my SBR suppressed with supers against a 16" .223 rifle. Shot timer wouldn't pick up the shots even supersonic. I might try to secure the timer to my right outside biceps next time instead of on my belt.

Dang its quiet. So awesome!
Jmorrismetal
Silent Operator

Post by Jmorrismetal »

The R U Ready timers or the adjustable CED timers are the best for picking up suppressed fire.

I am not a big fan of the R U Ready but they are the best a picking up shots and avoiding echos, hands down.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

68Guy wrote: Well yes I suppose that is true except our course of fire involved movement and we (RSO) definitely don't want to be too close to rifle ejection ports as they can be "vicious" in slinging brass and basically don't want to get anywhere near the business end of a rifle.
As noted by others, suppressed guns aren't all that uncommon at subgun and other matches. The timer does not need to pick up every shot - just the last shot. No need for the RO to chase the shooter around, trying to keep the timer next to the gun at all times.

The RO usually knows when the shooter is about to finish the stage. So you wait until the shooter is firing his last few rounds to position the timer next to the ejection port. As long as the end of the stage is shot from a static position and not on the move, this is usually not very difficult.