Newbie question SBR build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jec

Newbie question SBR build

Post by Jec »

Hello all.
I'm a newbie to the forum. I am also planning on building my first sbr.
In the process of getting my trust done.
So my question....

I was briefly overlooking the form 1 to have some understanding as to when I get around to having to complete it.
There are 2 boxes that ask "barrel length" and "overall length."
Now, I'm planning on purchasing a 9 1/2" barrel for the build.
Again this is my first time so I'm a bit confused and would appreciate some clarity on things I've read and heard.
When someone measures "overall length" is it from the tip of the barrel to the end of the stock collapsed? The collapsible stock has me confused. Do I take into account what muzzle device i'll be putting on the barrel?
ANy feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newbie question SBR build

Post by Sithlord »

Jec wrote:Hello all.
I'm a newbie to the forum. I am also planning on building my first sbr.
In the process of getting my trust done.
So my question....

I was briefly overlooking the form 1 to have some understanding as to when I get around to having to complete it.
There are 2 boxes that ask "barrel length" and "overall length."
Now, I'm planning on purchasing a 9 1/2" barrel for the build.
Again this is my first time so I'm a bit confused and would appreciate some clarity on things I've read and heard.
When someone measures "overall length" is it from the tip of the barrel to the end of the stock collapsed? The collapsible stock has me confused. Do I take into account what muzzle device i'll be putting on the barrel?
ANy feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Overall length is MAXIMUM LENGTH, with any collapsible stock FULLY extended (See https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-n ... 2/download, section 2.1.4): The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

If you have a muzzle device/flash suppressor, include it in the barrel length and overall length IF it is welded (ie, non removable). Otherwise, do not include it in either the barrel or overall length.

Ultimately, the barrel length and overall length have no bearing; There is no (current) rule or law that requires that you maintain these dimensions, nor do you have to inform the ATF of any temporary or permanent modification to these lengths.

HTH