barrel length for sbr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Re: barrel length for sbr

Post by Netpackrat »

A-Game wrote:The idea of engraving a barrel instead of a receiver is that it gives you the option to unregister the lower receiver as a SBR. This is helpful if you were wanting to ditch the AR platform and sell this receiver.
It's my understanding you can have the receiver removed from the registry whether or not it has been engraved with maker's info. Whether you want to sell a receiver with your name or your trust name on it is a different issue, but I guess you could mill that off as long as you didn't touch the original manufacturer's info or the serial number.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Netpackrat wrote:
A-Game wrote:The idea of engraving a barrel instead of a receiver is that it gives you the option to unregister the lower receiver as a SBR. This is helpful if you were wanting to ditch the AR platform and sell this receiver.
It's my understanding you can have the receiver removed from the registry whether or not it has been engraved with maker's info. Whether you want to sell a receiver with your name or your trust name on it is a different issue, but I guess you could mill that off as long as you didn't touch the original manufacturer's info or the serial number.
Being the tightwad that in am, I thought about this. I had my info engraved on the inside of the feed lips of the mag well. You have to look for the information but it is clearly visible with a mag installed. The engraving was done by a shop who knows about the illegals of such. My trust name and city and state were not so long as to prevent this.

The more I've thought about it, I suspect stripping the lower of parts, sell the parts an take a hammer to the lower, then notify ATF I destroyed the lower might be simpler. My lowers when new only sold for $65.00.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

hardcase wrote:Being the tightwad that in am, I thought about this. I had my info engraved on the inside of the feed lips of the mag well. You have to look for the information but it is clearly visible with a mag installed. The engraving was done by a shop who knows about the illegals of such. My trust name and city and state were not so long as to prevent this.
Interesting. I never thought of this.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

A Boy Named Sue wrote:
hardcase wrote:Being the tightwad that in am, I thought about this. I had my info engraved on the inside of the feed lips of the mag well. You have to look for the information but it is clearly visible with a mag installed. The engraving was done by a shop who knows about the illegals of such. My trust name and city and state were not so long as to prevent this.
Interesting. I never thought of this.
This was the place that did it for me. http://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/i ... y&path=119