SBR build, e-file or paper with a trust?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Predator257

SBR build, e-file or paper with a trust?

Post by Predator257 »

Like the subject says. I for some weird reason like the idea of a real $200 stamp on paper, in my hand. An electronic copy emailed back to me just seems kind of cheap.
What are the differances if any? I did this once before without a trust in paper form. Is electronic quicker or just easier or what. As far as uploading my trust, scan it and attach and upload or what? I need to do before the 16th, will complete it this week. If I do paper, do I send in copy of my trust?
Please give me the low down so I can have it correctly completed one way or the other by weeks end.
Thanks!
Predator257

Re: SBR build, e-file or paper with a trust?

Post by Predator257 »

Also, there is stood chance that my home address will change to another state while I wait for the stamp, unless this goes pretty quick. Will that affect anything, or just let the ATF know when and where I move so they can send me the stamp ( if I do paper form) and not e-file.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Form 1's submitted today will probably be 8-9 months for e-file and longer for paper submissions so it will be a while either way. With an impending change of address I would wait until after the move. Not sure if an address change would cause a disapproval or not. You have until the 12th to decide. On the 13th, passport photos and fingerprint cards will have to accompany the paper Form 1. If you e-file, the trust is uploaded and attached as part of the application.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

For my two most recent I used paper forms, because a paper form can in theory be sent back for correction if there is a mistake (at least for some mistakes), while an e-form is just disapproved if you made a mistake. Oh, and since anything submitted since April or so will come back after July 13, if your form is disapproved you get to jump through the 41F hoops for something you thought you had filed on in time. A paper form that gets sent back for correction will still be the original form that was filed prior to the deadline, so you shouldn't have to mess with that. I e-filed for an SBR on April 9 before I realized that paper forms might be the better way to go, so I am hoping I didn't make any errors on it.
rb288
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rb288 »

I have form 1s to submit before the 13th.
I decided to mail them with signature required just to make sure things get there and is trackable.
I guess I just feel better having an actual hard copy with a stamp.
I also think that if there is a mistake, which I doubt, but you never know, it will be easier to correct with a hard copy as opposed to an efiled.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
Predator257

Post by Predator257 »

Thanks, was thinking the date was the 16th, but I guess I was wrong. Will get it in this weekend or first of the week, before the 13th, paper copies and signature required.
What about the move? Will that screw things up mid process?
I'm a little confused about the part pertaining to the manufacturer. I put down the name that is on my lower, along with the complete series number. Is that correct, or is it my trust name? Also, I put the caliber as 300 instead of the 5.56 which is stamped on the lower by the serial number as I am building a 300blk. I'm not wanting any mistakes.
With the trust, I only need to attach my passport photo, no law enforcement and no fingerprints, correct? Just leave blank, put N/A?
Overall length is stock fully extended plus receiver, barrel and suppressor? Or just barrel? Suppressor will be in the rail only showing a couple inches at the end.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

E-form is the only way to go. With all the drop down menus, you really have try hard to mess anything up.

300 isn't the caliber, 308 is. But I've seen stranger things get approved. Just don't put letters in the caliber box.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

golfindia wrote:E-form is the only way to go. With all the drop down menus, you really have try hard to mess anything up.

300 isn't the caliber, 308 is. But I've seen stranger things get approved. Just don't put letters in the caliber box.
As I said in another topic a few days ago, I used 300 on my Eform and it was approved.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

steven11b wrote:
golfindia wrote:E-form is the only way to go. With all the drop down menus, you really have try hard to mess anything up.

As I said in another topic a few days ago, I used 300 on my Eform and it was approved.
You could have also put .299 or .301. These would also be approved. They still don't accurately denote what caliber your rifle is....
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

steven11b wrote:

I used 7.62 as the caliber for both of my lowers and they were approved.

Also, as to the change of address... Maybe get your forms in and at some point before you actually move, call ATF and see what they recommend... I am sure that's a common situation they have dealt with before.