What other caliber to SBR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: What other caliber to SBR?

Post by QuietMike »

50 Beowulf would be a fun, but expensive to feed, SBR.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I wouldn't SBR a standard AR lower as a 9mm, since you can take the mag adapter out if you want to.
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Taking the mag adapter out is even more reason to SBR a standard lower in my way of thinking. Ability to use multiple uppers instead of just one 9mm upper if you go with a 9mm specific lower.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
keith13b
Senior Silent Operator

Post by keith13b »

idaho.jon wrote:I love my 9mm ar pistol, but mostly because it takes glock mags haha. I've always thought a Grendel would be fun in a 10-12" barrel.
My 6.5G is, and it loves the cheap wolf ammo, too!
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

TMD wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:.458 SOCOM is pretty efficient in 12" barrel lengths due to the large bore and fast powders used. +1 for 9mm, also efficient and way cheap to shoot.

But quite a bit more $ to build.

Good point, and you almost need a dedicated 9mm lower, I think there might be one kit that allows you to remove the block from the magwell.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by realtreehunter »

9mm does sound fun, but I was under the impression you had to have a special 9mm lower.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought to look to see what the lower is stamped as.

I thought about just building it as a 223 or 556 but I'm not sure I want an SBR in that caliber and as I understand the rules I would be required to build the upper to match what I had it registered as so that I could get it back to its original configuration in case the ATF asks.
realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by realtreehunter »

DoubleJ wrote:
TMD wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:.458 SOCOM is pretty efficient in 12" barrel lengths due to the large bore and fast powders used. +1 for 9mm, also efficient and way cheap to shoot.

But quite a bit more $ to build.

Good point, and you almost need a dedicated 9mm lower, I think there might be one kit that allows you to remove the block from the magwell.
Are most mag blocks permanent after installation?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Most mag blocks go in from the top, so you have to remove the bolt catch. If you have a lower that's got a set screw bolt catch, its not bad. Punching out the roll pin if you want to remove it is a pain though. Most of the good mag adapters cost as much if not more than a dedicated lower now days
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

If you did a 9mm sbr build you would probably want a dedicated lower. But they are a lot of fun. I have a few SBRs, and thought I would only build one. One is a 12" Grendel, believe it or not its a awesome round for short barrel. Most think as I did before that the grendel is only for long barrels, ITS NOT. I have a 18" grendel also, and im not really losing much in 6". Iv taking it out to 600 yrds pretty easy and im sure it will go further.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

If I was to do a 9mm I think I would do one of these 80% lowers from NFA, https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/c-9- ... tyle-mags/ uses Glock mags.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap