9mm SBR Thread

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm SBR Thread

Post by farm use »

Thanks for all the great info guys! I got a Thor hammer glock lower from runner runner guns in TX and a 4.5" barrel from joebobs. I efiled a form 1 for the lower yesterday. Pretty excited about the build. Thinking about a matrix side charger upper receiver and a nfa bolt carrier. Im still deciding if I want a carbine or mid length rail.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

You guys that have used a side charger upper what are you using as vice blocks to clamp the upper to install the barrel?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

farm use wrote:You guys that have used a side charger upper what are you using as vice blocks to clamp the upper to install the barrel?
2nd post on page 3 is a matrix upper.

I used a piece of carpet and a vice to put the barrel on.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

golfindia wrote:
farm use wrote:You guys that have used a side charger upper what are you using as vice blocks to clamp the upper to install the barrel?
2nd post on page 3 is a matrix upper.

I used a piece of carpet and a vice to put the barrel on.
I saw you used one, just wondered how you installed the barrel. I have upper vice blocked and barrel blocks but with a 4" barrel the barrel blocks won't work and the upper blocks won't work with the side charger. Thanks for the info, I'm considering the matrix upper. How do you like it, any problems?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

It works great, never had an problems with it. The side charger is much nicer to use, if they weren't so expensive I'd get more.

If you use a regular lower, you could use a mag block type holder in a vice. My lower is a dedicated 9mm. so carpet or a barrel vice were my only options. There's no brass deflector or forward assist on the upper, so a vice worked fine.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Thanks! No iv got a dedicated 9mm lower also. What bolt are you using in it? I was wanting to use the new frontier armory bolt carrier.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Bolt was from PSA, on sale.
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

farm use,

Instead of a upper block holder or barrel vise consider a brownell's barrel ext. torque tool, or a similar geissele product. No worry about twisting an upper or needing a barrel vise.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

DeadRaibead wrote:farm use,

Instead of a upper block holder or barrel vise consider a brownell's barrel ext. torque tool, or a similar geissele product. No worry about twisting an upper or needing a barrel vise.
No lugs on a 9mm barrel extension.....
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

golfindia,

Thank you for educating me. I have never had in hand a 9mm ar, and did not know about the different extension. Been toying with the idea of building one, and I am glad to have that information. Rules out a side charge for me.