Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Post by hardcase »

I have a Rock River AR 10. I like the rifle OK except for the weight, especially with a can hanging off the end of the barrel. I've toyed with the idea of making it a SBR.

Has anyone made an AR 10 SBR or know someone who has?
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Post by rpk47 »

I have not made a 308 sbr but before you go through the process, be sure your can is rated for as short of barrel as you are thinking about using. Sbr 308 is no joke on muzzle pressure.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Many carbine gas length 308 AR variants are way over gassed, too. If you use a short barrel that has a carbine length system (I don't know if you could do an SBR with a cut down mid length?) You may need an adjustable gas block with a can. I have a 16" carbine gas 308 bbl, it rips the rims of brass with the can on unless I chose the adj block to almost shut.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

rpk47 wrote:I have not made a 308 sbr but before you go through the process, be sure your can is rated for as short of barrel as you are thinking about using. Sbr 308 is no joke on muzzle pressure.
I suppose a call to Yankee Hill would be in order. My .308 can is a Yankee Hill Phantom, one of the so-called tent peg pounders that weighs 28 ounces.

I've been tempted to get one of their newer, lighter suppressors that are available now. One model only weighs 13 ounces.

It is the weight with my can forward that is the problem.

I wish the USA would get reasonable with the laws on suppressors. As the laws currently exists, there is not much of a market for used cans.
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

One of my buddies has one of those, I think it is only rated to a 16 inch bbl, but not 100 percent on that.
NannySlayer
Silent Operator

Post by NannySlayer »

Why would you want an ar10 SBR? A 300 will cycle subs and is lighter... A 30 Cal bullet that is subsonic is the same if it were fired out of a 300 AAC, 308 or a 300 win mag. Use the one designed for it.

This from the guy who has an AR10 and said meh to the 300 blackout.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

golfindia wrote:Many carbine gas length 308 AR variants are way over gassed, too. If you use a short barrel that has a carbine length system (I don't know if you could do an SBR with a cut down mid length?) You may need an adjustable gas block with a can. I have a 16" carbine gas 308 bbl, it rips the rims of brass with the can on unless I chose the adj block to almost shut.
i have a 16" carbine gas as well.. so this is good info. as is i'm on the line of being over gassed and deal with lock-time issues when handloading for it. factory ammo its rough on the brass - ejector swipes and such, so i can see this being a very valid concern.

the other thing is - if you plan to SBR your 308, please dont shoot it next to me unsuppressed! my 16" has enough bark to wake the dead and that's just with a flash hider. i have a buddy who has a brake on his, and its downright obnoxious. it'll rattle the fillings in your teeth if you're on either side of him in the gas redirect zone. :shock: :shock:

i get a never ending amount of grief from my father when i bring that thing out to play with at the family range up north. once i've put more than 5 or 6 shots through it, he'll come out of the house and ask me if i'm done yet. like hello.. i havent even gone through a box of ammo yet... i've still got another 100+ rounds on the bench here! heheh :mrgreen:
to help appease him a bit i did move the bench another 20' west of the house this past summer, so hopefully that'll help ease the percussion.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

NannySlayer wrote:Why would you want an ar10 SBR? A 300 will cycle subs and is lighter... A 30 Cal bullet that is subsonic is the same if it were fired out of a 300 AAC, 308 or a 300 win mag. Use the one designed for it.

OP never mentioned subsonic
NannySlayer
Silent Operator

Post by NannySlayer »

TMD wrote:
NannySlayer wrote:Why would you want an ar10 SBR? A 300 will cycle subs and is lighter... A 30 Cal bullet that is subsonic is the same if it were fired out of a 300 AAC, 308 or a 300 win mag. Use the one designed for it.

OP never mentioned subsonic
He mentioned the suppressor. I cannot imagine how loud a SBR 308 would be. I bet a 10" or 12" 308 is only marginally quieter than my 20" 308. Either way it still requires hearing protection with supers.

So, yes you can make it an SBR.
Check your can specs.
And I do not know anyone who has done it because the 300 has filled this spot.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

I went through this exercise on a different board, looking at an HK-type pistol in .308 with 12" barrel. Consensus was that it'd be useless. Too much added muzzle blast, and too much lost velocity. Just the wrong caliber for such a short barrel.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.