Can I change registered SBR barrel length?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Pharlap

Can I change registered SBR barrel length?

Post by Pharlap »

I e-filed a form 1 to register my lower, but to process the form you have to put in a barrel length and a overall rifle length. I put in 9.75" (because I had a specific upper in mind) and changed my mind.

My intent was to register only my lower, but did I inadvertently restrict myself to a specific barrel length by filling out the barrel length portion of the form 1?

I would like to be able to mix and match multiple uppers to try out different SBR configurations on the single lower. Is this possible with how I filled out my form?

Penny for your thoughts. Thanks all.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can I change registered SBR barrel length?

Post by plant.one »

the way i understand it - as long as you have the ability to return to the original registered configuration, you can change to as many different length/caliber versions as you want. there is no notification in writing required for non permanent changes.

i believe if you make a permanent change (like sell the original length/caliber upper) you need to notify the AFT in that situation.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Yes, you can change barrel lengths and even calibers without notifying the ATF.

There is no law requiring ATF notification of anything related to SBRs except when transporting an SBR across state lines.

ATF 'recommends' notifying them of a permanent configuration change, or if an NFA item is no longer in the purview of the NFA (eg, you sell the lower as a Title 1 GCA firearm).

Source:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-sho ... ses-intent
Pharlap

Post by Pharlap »

so when I finally build my permanent rifle, I should update my configuration with then ATF. Got it. But I CAN build with a different length barrel on the initial build right?
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Pharlap wrote:so when I finally build my permanent rifle, I should update my configuration with then ATF. Got it. But I CAN build with a different length barrel on the initial build right?
If your stamp isn't approved yet you're probably better off waiting to until after it is before submitting any changes. Very doubtful the ATF would accept a change on a stamp that isn't even approved yet.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Pharlap wrote:so when I finally build my permanent rifle, I should update my configuration with then ATF. Got it. But I CAN build with a different length barrel on the initial build right?
Notify if you wish, or don't. Yes, you can build with a different length on the initial build. Wait for the stamp to configure as a rifle.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Don't worry too much about it. Having the approved SBR designation is the important thing.

As already mentioned, the SBR specifics (barrel length, caliber, overall length) can easily vary without legal issues.
ArmoredTransport

Post by ArmoredTransport »

Greetings....New Here
Was wanting to get into the 300 and saw the Tactical Solutions upper with the fixed shroud taking it to the 16" from the 11"barrel. My question is.....Is it legal to buy a 10" upper and weld on a shroud like T.S. does and be legal to not screw with the paperwork?? My apologies if this post is on the wrong place or out of line in any way......Thanks for your input.

Regards
Rick
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

There are procedures and requirements for pinning items so that they meet the 16" length requirement for GCA rifles.

You're approaching a viable length for the shroud to be considered a suppressor tube....

Not saying it's illegal... But sometimes specifics like that are best asked of the ATF directly.
ArmoredTransport

Post by ArmoredTransport »

Thank You