Form 1 status?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 status?

Post by Sithlord »

TMD wrote:
armydan wrote:Thanks for the replies. So sstatus should go Submitted/In process to Pending (approx. 30 days to go) to Approve? Of course this does not take into account any disapprovals or resubmissions. Does this jive with your experiences?
Thanks.
Like myself and others have said, if submitted correctly it will only show Submitted/In Process from the day you did it until its approved. If you did it last month and that's what its currently showing you can check daily for the next 3 or so months if you don't believe us. I take that back, you cant check on Wednesdays because that's the day their shut down for site maintenance.
Pedantic, but this is INCORRECT.

I submitted my 3rd SBR [Form 1, Trust] in late November. It was in Research/Pending for about 30 days, and I received an email notification in late December when it went 'Submitted/Pending'.

The specific difference? This lower (Spike Tactical Jolly Roger) apparently had never been submitted for SBR as a 9mm. So they had to do 'research'. It would seem if your lower receiver or caliber isn't on their list, they MAY have to research it first.

Whether this lengthens the overall time for approval by 30 days, I do not know. I'll tell you in 2-3 months...

Lastly, you can always check nfatracker.com for trends. Form 1 EFiles are at 120 days right now.
Brass Buzzard

Post by Brass Buzzard »

Sithlord wrote:
TMD wrote:
armydan wrote:Thanks for the replies. So sstatus should go Submitted/In process to Pending (approx. 30 days to go) to Approve? Of course this does not take into account any disapprovals or resubmissions. Does this jive with your experiences?
Thanks.
Like myself and others have said, if submitted correctly it will only show Submitted/In Process from the day you did it until its approved. If you did it last month and that's what its currently showing you can check daily for the next 3 or so months if you don't believe us. I take that back, you cant check on Wednesdays because that's the day their shut down for site maintenance.
Pedantic, but this is INCORRECT.

I submitted my 3rd SBR [Form 1, Trust] in late November. It was in Research/Pending for about 30 days, and I received an email notification in late December when it went 'Submitted/Pending'.

The specific difference? This lower (Spike Tactical Jolly Roger) apparently had never been submitted for SBR as a 9mm. So they had to do 'research'. It would seem if your lower receiver or caliber isn't on their list, they MAY have to research it first.

Whether this lengthens the overall time for approval by 30 days, I do not know. I'll tell you in 2-3 months...

Lastly, you can always check nfatracker.com for trends. Form 1 EFiles are at 120 days right now.

This is correct. If the item you intend to manufacture is not currently in the ATF tables then your application will immediately transfer into "PENDING RESEARCH" status.

For example, I've previously submitted three eForm 1 applications to manufacture suppressors. Each was assigned a unique model name by me. Because each had a unique model name, and subsequently weren't in the current ATF tables, all three applications first went into "PENDING RESEARCH." After approximately two weeks, each of the applications was transferred into "SUBMITTED" status.

I was not contacted by the ATF to verify anything. The delay is added onto the overall wait time.
armydan

Post by armydan »

I aprreciate all the replies and apologize if i come across as ungrateful or otherwise like an ass. It is hard for me to just forget about it for months until it is approved or rejected. Until this is finalized i am probably going to worry that I have screwed something up. I check the status weekly just to make sure i can react in a timely manner and maybe because by some miracle it will be approved. I figure that 3 1/2 out of the 4 months is probably waiting for the examiner to pull it up. The next 2 weeks are for them to make sure all paperwork is correct and run the prints and call NICS then send me an approval. If something is wrong they will send a disapproval and start the refund. I have read on a forum that if your status is listed as pending its basically a heads up that you will be approved.
I guess I'm hoping that someone has seen behind the curtain and will chime in so I know what the possibilites are. Something more specific than the broad brush strokes. That being said, I understand that using the experiences of others i can get a pretty accurate idea of what can happen
Pending research seems to be for irregularities.
Submitted/In progress is the "normal" status
Pending is when it is actually with an examiner? I am guessing that there was something wrong it would go from submitted to disapproved.
Approved/disapproved is self explanitory
Thanks again.
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter accusations.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

The 3-4 month wait time is simply the backlog.

It's been reported (and listed in 41F) that it takes about 15-20 minutes for the ATF to go through and approve the paperwork.

The first NFA item is always the worst. You will get an email from the ATF indicating when it changes status. The next status is either APPROVED or REJECTED.

Note, even if it is rejected, it is usually a simple correction. Most have been able to work with the examiners to get the correction made in a timely fashion (hours, not weeks).

My last SBR had an issue with the printed form; to the ATF, everything was correct, but the printed form didn't contain my trust name, so there was nothing to 'prove' that it was mine. Even though they approved the SBR, everyone decided it would be best to disapprove the existing form, get a refund, submit a new form, and have it fast tracked.

The fast-tracked, correct form was approved in less than a day.

In short, yes, it takes forever, and yes, you MAY have put something wrong on the form. But they ARE willing to work with you to correct it.

Cheers!
armydan

Post by armydan »

Thanks!
armydan

Post by armydan »

Approved! finally! Just like Sithlord described, nothing then email saying approved. i wonder if the one I dropped in January will be approved next month. At this point it doesnt matter, I got my cherry busted. Now how many more?
Wanabgunsmith

Post by Wanabgunsmith »

Gratz i should get my suppressor the end of this month(ish) thatll be 5 months since pending. Sico omega. Gonna try to sbr a lower after that, even though i love my (possibly 50 state legal) pistol

a66.tinypic.com/opz7e8.jpg