AAR pistol to sbr question.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAR pistol to sbr question.

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Netpackrat wrote:Image

Nice star trek pic

Yeah, id rather not have to write and waste their time if I dont need to, maybe if I dont write them it will speed up form 1 and form 4 turn around times...lol.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

Straight from the atf website:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-sho ... ses-intent
This doesn't say anything about 'converting' a pistol into an SBR, and then back into a pistol. As I stated in my original reply, if you write them:

Make sure you emphasize that the item will continue to be an nfa item (ie, it's still registered with the ATF as an sbr) but you will be removing the stock (temporarily), with the intent of temporarily using it as a GCA firearm (non NFA), eg, to cross state lines or hunt.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Sithlord wrote:
ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

Straight from the atf website:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-sho ... ses-intent
This doesn't say anything about 'converting' a pistol into an SBR, and then back into a pistol. As I stated in my original reply, if you write them:

Make sure you emphasize that the item will continue to be an nfa item (ie, it's still registered with the ATF as an sbr) but you will be removing the stock (temporarily), with the intent of temporarily using it as a GCA firearm (non NFA), eg, to cross state lines or hunt.

True, i guess ill have to write anyway. Ill do some more research first.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
atar1

Post by atar1 »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:
True, i guess ill have to write anyway.
It looks like someone may have written that letter already.

https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

That doesn't specifically address the question, but it does seem clear that since the lower has been configured and registered as a short barreled rifle, then configuring it as a pistol would make it a "weapon made from a rifle" which is still an NFA item.
armydan

Post by armydan »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:My understanding...
Once you have registered the lower with NFA as a SBR, the lower itself is the NFA item...it will always be an NFA item unless you contact ATF to have it removed from registry...you may still shoot it as a pistol, but it will still be viewed by ATF as an SBR...
As i said, my understanding, but i think this is answer we came to once before when discussing something along these lines...
IIRC, as long as you have the ability to return it to an NFA configuration it is still under the purview of the NFA. I believe there is a difference between posession and direct control, legally speaking. And i think that ownership equates to posession to the ATF, just like posession equals constructive intent. But my memory is not what it used to be and all i probably accomplished was confusing everybody.
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter accusations.
RWA007
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RWA007 »

I agree with the ones that have stated that it would be better just to build another lower in the Pistol configuration.

I've had this exact discussion with my buddies and out of us I'm the only one that went the SBR route. They all built pistols. They have always said that with their pistol lowers they can transport across state lines and such with no ATF notification and paperwork.

If I ever want to take my 9" SBR upper across state lines, I'll just build out a pistol lower and take it instead and leave the SBR lower in the safe at home.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

RWA007 wrote:I agree with the ones that have stated that it would be better just to build another lower in the Pistol configuration.

I've had this exact discussion with my buddies and out of us I'm the only one that went the SBR route. They all built pistols. They have always said that with their pistol lowers they can transport across state lines and such with no ATF notification and paperwork.

If I ever want to take my 9" SBR upper across state lines, I'll just build out a pistol lower and take it instead and leave the SBR lower in the safe at home.
Having built both pistols AND SBRs (usually pistols while the SBR paperwork is being processed) and having other shooters shoot BOTH...

The stock on an AR make a world of difference. Not that a SIG Brace or Shockwave aren't 'ok', but if you truly use the pistol AS A PISTOL (even with two hands), it's just doesn't have the same appeal.

I would like to see the NFA law related to requiring permission to transport an SBR/SBS/MG across state lines revoked as unconstitutional (only items 'monitored' by the ATF seem to require permission to cross state lines, even when they are owned legally). Of course, I'd love to see the entire NFA revoked too; one thing at a time.