Pilot 2

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Pilot 2

Post by afshirt »

So the local shop just got some Pilot 2 cans that were missing the take down tool. They are selling these for 150 bucks rather than send them back to AAC. I have a few 30 cal cans but no 22 caliber. For 150 (plus the tax stamp of course) is that a good deal?
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pilot 2

Post by tallburnedmidget »

afshirt wrote:So the local shop just got some Pilot 2 cans that were missing the take down tool. They are selling these for 150 bucks rather than send them back to AAC. I have a few 30 cal cans but no 22 caliber. For 150 (plus the tax stamp of course) is that a good deal?
Not sure but I can say it is $130-$200 less than any place I can find online so I would assume it's a heck of a deal.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

For $150 I'd definitely buy another one. I've had my Pilot II for about 2 years now and it's actually a great performing can for the money. I do have a gripe about it though. I purchased it on an impulse when I was buying my SDN-6 can. At the time I figured I might as well get a rimfire can at the same time if I was going to do all the paper work for one can might as well do it for two (I didn't have a trust at the time). Now back to my gripe, not doing much research at the time on rimfire cans I knew I wanted one that could be disassembled and picked it on a whim. The first baffle in it is stainless steel but the remaining are aluminum. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it limits options for cleaning. You cant use the acid dip it an ultrasonic cleaner because it may damage them. Also if using it on a pistol it needs to be cleaned every two to three hundred rounds or you may not get it apart.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

A few months I stumbled across this article recommending using dot 5 brake fluid after cleaning to prevent leading. I was a bit skeptical but thought after 3 hours of cleaning, what the heck. Guess what, it works. After trying it I purposely took it out attached to my Ruger 22/45 Lite and put 300 rounds of Blazer ammo through it which isn't plated and exceptionally dirty. Sans a few spots on the first two cones all the leading wiped right off. It cut my cleaning time down from two hours to about 20 minutes.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I'd jump all over it.
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

TMD wrote:For $150 I'd definitely buy another one. I've had my Pilot II for about 2 years now and it's actually a great performing can for the money. I do have a gripe about it though. I purchased it on an impulse when I was buying my SDN-6 can. At the time I figured I might as well get a rimfire can at the same time if I was going to do all the paper work for one can might as well do it for two (I didn't have a trust at the time). Now back to my gripe, not doing much research at the time on rimfire cans I knew I wanted one that could be disassembled and picked it on a whim. The first baffle in it is stainless steel but the remaining are aluminum. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it limits options for cleaning. You cant use the acid dip it an ultrasonic cleaner because it may damage them. Also if using it on a pistol it needs to be cleaned every two to three hundred rounds or you may not get it apart.

A few months I stumbled across this article recommending using dot 5 brake fluid after cleaning to prevent leading. I was a bit skeptical but thought after 3 hours of cleaning, what the heck. Guess what, it works. After trying it I purposely took it out attached to my Ruger 22/45 Lite and put 300 rounds of Blazer ammo through it which isn't plated and exceptionally dirty. Sans a few spots on the first two cones all the leading wiped right off. It cut my cleaning time down from two hours to about 20 minutes.

Dot 5 brake cleaner. That is pretty cool. Does it have to be clean first then just wipe down the baffles or will it clean already dirty ones?
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

afshirt wrote:
TMD wrote:For $150 I'd definitely buy another one. I've had my Pilot II for about 2 years now and it's actually a great performing can for the money. I do have a gripe about it though. I purchased it on an impulse when I was buying my SDN-6 can. At the time I figured I might as well get a rimfire can at the same time if I was going to do all the paper work for one can might as well do it for two (I didn't have a trust at the time). Now back to my gripe, not doing much research at the time on rimfire cans I knew I wanted one that could be disassembled and picked it on a whim. The first baffle in it is stainless steel but the remaining are aluminum. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it limits options for cleaning. You cant use the acid dip it an ultrasonic cleaner because it may damage them. Also if using it on a pistol it needs to be cleaned every two to three hundred rounds or you may not get it apart.

Dot 5 brake cleaner. That is pretty cool. Does it have to be clean first then just wipe down the baffles or will it clean already dirty ones?
Dot 5 brake fluid not cleaner. And yes it's best to clean and remove the carbon and lead buildup off the baffles first.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Paid $524 including stamp for mine so I would say it is a good deal at $150 plus stamp
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

It's a great deal and of course contact Customer Service and they will send you the tool, I'm sure.