Application to Transport Interstate - ATF form 5320.20

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Shooter54

Application to Transport Interstate - ATF form 5320.20

Post by Shooter54 »

Now the Pistol to SBR conversion is stamped, I want to shoot it at my club and in-laws across the State line.

A couple of item questions on the 5320.

3 From date and To date: Can I put in a date in May 2015 and then May 2016 for multiple intermittent trips throughout the year as I can get time to shoot? How have others filled this out for multiple unspecified trips throughout a time period?

4 Manufacturer: My Form 1 To Make and Register, asked for the Applicant (Family Trust) and the Original Manufacturer of the firearm (AAC).

This form asks for the Name and Address of Registered Owner and the Firearm Manufacturer. I am thinking these are also Family Trust and AAC.

4 Serviceable: (Yes or No) Don't think I see anything in the instructions on the back on this.

5 Reason for Transportation of Firearm: To my Form 1 State Why You Intend To Make Firearm, I answered Any Lawful Purpose. Can I use this here also? If not, then Recreational Shooting? What have others had approved? Probably won't hunt with it out of state.

7. Transporting to: I have 2 locations I want to get blanket 1 year intervals. The first is my shooting club outdoor range address and the second is my Father-in-laws place that we visit often and can shoot at because he has sufficient acres surrounded by farms. Can I get both these places in one form or will it take 2 forms?

8. Mode of Transportation: I planned on Personal Automobile.

Finally, the form instructions say that "a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form" This sounds like a better approach to get a year long blanket duration for a couple of single state locations. Have others used the letter approach?

Thanks in advance for your information sharing,
Shooter
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Application to Transport Interstate - ATF form 5320.20

Post by rpk47 »

Ill just answer these by the question on the form itself

1. Trust name if registered to your trust, your name if registered individually
2. Yes (No is for when you are moving to a new permanent address in another state)
3. ATF only approves up to 1 year, 365 days. Make sure the dates do not overlap. Example April 27 2015 to April 26 2016
4. Name of manufacture on your Form 1. (who made the lower receiver originally)
4a. Serviceable Yes (this is asking Does it work? more or less)
5. Can put lots of things here, Any Lawful purpose has you covered tho
6. Current location item is stored at
7. Destination address, best to put where you will be at for that time. Address needs to be specific but the ATF should allow for anything in a "reasonable" distance. If your in laws and the range you visit are near by each other 1 form should probably be sufficient. However, if they are not close by or you want to be absolutely on the safe side, fill out 2 forms; One with in laws address on it and one with the range address on it.
8. Private vehicle, Commercial Air line, ect.
9-11. export only nothing to see here
12. If on a trust sign it Shooter54 Trustee or Shooter54 Settlor and Trustee ect. otherwise owner of item puts their John Hancock here
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Shooter54 wrote:Now the Pistol to SBR conversion is stamped, I want to shoot it at my club and in-laws across the State line.

A couple of item questions on the 5320.

3 From date and To date: Can I put in a date in May 2015 and then May 2016 for multiple intermittent trips throughout the year as I can get time to shoot? How have others filled this out for multiple unspecified trips throughout a time period?

4 Manufacturer: My Form 1 To Make and Register, asked for the Applicant (Family Trust) and the Original Manufacturer of the firearm (AAC).

This form asks for the Name and Address of Registered Owner and the Firearm Manufacturer. I am thinking these are also Family Trust and AAC.

4 Serviceable: (Yes or No) Don't think I see anything in the instructions on the back on this.

5 Reason for Transportation of Firearm: To my Form 1 State Why You Intend To Make Firearm, I answered Any Lawful Purpose. Can I use this here also? If not, then Recreational Shooting? What have others had approved? Probably won't hunt with it out of state.

7. Transporting to: I have 2 locations I want to get blanket 1 year intervals. The first is my shooting club outdoor range address and the second is my Father-in-laws place that we visit often and can shoot at because he has sufficient acres surrounded by farms. Can I get both these places in one form or will it take 2 forms?

8. Mode of Transportation: I planned on Personal Automobile.

Finally, the form instructions say that "a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form" This sounds like a better approach to get a year long blanket duration for a couple of single state locations. Have others used the letter approach?

Thanks in advance for your information sharing,
Shooter
Give complete dates.. May 1 2015 - Apr 30 2016. No intermediate dates, do it for a full year.

4. AAC. Section 1 contains your trust info.
5. Out of state shooting range
7. If both are in the same state, just list 1. No second form required if same state.
8. POV (personally owned vehicle)
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Double post... Can't delete
Shooter54

Post by Shooter54 »

Thanks Sith & RPK for the helpful advice. 5320's in the mail...

How about a hypothetical Q?

IF: Someone has a MPW 9" Pistol with Sig Brace. The SBR "Make" will be a 6 position buffer tube and CTR. The pistol was engraved before filing the Form 1. The Maker has just received his approved Form 1.

AND: Someone had a prearranged shooting event in Indiana for this weekend and attends without an approved 5320.

While there, does he have 1) an illegally transported SBR or 2) a not yet made SBR (still a pistol) as no fixed stock yet?

Just wonderin'... Your thoughts and why?
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Shooter54 wrote:Thanks Sith & RPK for the helpful advice. 5320's in the mail...

How about a hypothetical Q?

IF: Someone has a MPW 9" Pistol with Sig Brace. The SBR "Make" will be a 6 position buffer tube and CTR. The pistol was engraved before filing the Form 1. The Maker has just received his approved Form 1.

AND: Someone had a prearranged shooting event in Indiana for this weekend and attends without an approved 5320.

While there, does he have 1) an illegally transported SBR or 2) a not yet made SBR (still a pistol) as no fixed stock yet?

Just wonderin'... Your thoughts and why?
I am not a lawyer.. With that said, the form 20, and some of their FAQs can be (IMHO) interpreted multiple ways. In this case, you are talking about bringing the short barrel with you, but in a pistol configuration.

IMHO, since the lower is a registered SBR, and you have, in your possession a short barrel, then you need to have the approved form 20, even if it is in a pistol configuration. Some would argue that the pistol configuration allows you to not need the form 20. However, IMHO, the form 1 to make an sbr means that the lower is now a rifle, regardless of whether it has a stock or not.

Now, having said that, if you have another pistol lower, then you can put the upper on that and you are good to go as long as you do not bring the sbr lower.

The other truth is that if you have it configured as a pistol, no one would know it's a registered sbr unless you told them. And it's perfectly legal as a pistol, so no one should question you about it. The law is making an honest person feel guilty about a legally owned item. And that, right there is my biggest issue with the NFA (and other) laws - they make honest folks with a conscience question whether or not they are breaking the law. To me, it means the law is flawed. Laws should not make the honest feel guilty for doing something within their right.

Hth...
Shooter54

Post by Shooter54 »

Thanks Sith, that was my thinking also.

What gets me is that we have two of the pistols configured identically except for serial numbers.
One is still a pistol governed by its laws that I can take across state lines.

The other is now an SBR that I need pre-authorization to take across state lines if I don't want to commit a crime.

And, I have $200 more invested in the SBR with its more stringent regulations that is identical to the pistol.

Such be the way the laws are sometimes...
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

In section 4 under the Manufacturer I have always put my trust name and they have been approved every time. I am not saying that I am correct, but just that I have been approved for the last 4 years straight with my Trust name there instead of the original mfg of the lower receiver. :|

I actually just moved over the last couple weeks to a new location in the same state. I printed my 5320.20 forms yesterday and they are in front of me right now. I just reprinted them with the original mfg in that slot this time.....I am gonna do that this time and see how it goes. It sounds right to me, and maybe I just got lucky that they approved my forms for the last several years.
Shooter54

Post by Shooter54 »

I'll keep this thread informed of how mine goes. I chose 1 form for 1 location in Indiana (+ 3 hours drive) and I will be shooting also at a midway location (@ 1 hour drive) as well.

I'm taking and liking the 1 form, 1 State approach.