Do I need my trust set up first?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by plant.one » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:02 am

ya i guess if its only a matter of a couple weeks and you dealer doesnt mind holding it for you, there's no reason NOT to wait. If junior is 3 or 4 months away i'd say get the paperwork moving and deal with adding him later.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

BulletFlight for Android
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by voip-1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:19 pm

plant.one wrote:ya i guess if its only a matter of a couple weeks and you dealer doesnt mind holding it for you, there's no reason NOT to wait. If junior is 3 or 4 months away i'd say get the paperwork moving and deal with adding him later.
Junior was born on Friday, I'm now the proud father of a very cute little kid. :P

As far as the trust goes... I emailed guntrustlawyers.com and they offer three levels of trust. The most basic level of trust seems to be pretty similar "paper mill" style trust to what is offered at a variety of websites from $99-$199.

Their 2nd level trust is $650 and is more customized including chat and support from local attorney for state issues and the guntrustlawyers.com attorneys for any federal issues. One of the things that is mentioned as a reason for not going with a "basic" trust is issues that might arise with future transfer of trust and/or assets down the road in the event of your death, divorce, offspring trustee has divorce, etc...

Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks!
Last edited by voip-1 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by plant.one » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:24 pm

i chose a local firearms law specialists to draft mine - $400 well spent, especially since it includes all followup support or any other issues regarding the trust.


congratz on the little guy!

have you bought him his first gun yet? :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by voip-1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

plant.one wrote:i chose a local firearms law specialists to draft mine - $400 well spent, especially since it includes all followup support or any other issues regarding the trust.


congratz on the little guy!

have you bought him his first gun yet? :mrgreen:
Kind of yes. All the title 3 stuff would be his when I'm gone. When he gets to be around the age I was when I got my first .22 rifle I will be getting him one of those.

392heminut
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by 392heminut » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Gearhog has a sale on gun trusts from 199trust.com for $69 right now.

http://www.gearhog.com/?did=68237

This is the trust I used and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

RDA
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by RDA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 pm

voip-1 wrote:Junior was born on Friday, I'm not the proud father of a very cute little kid.
You sure seem proud for not being the father...

;)

Amazing how one wrong letter in an otherwise complete sentence changes the meaning.

Seriously, congrats on the new kid, my boy is now eight weeks old and sleeping here beside me on the couch...

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by voip-1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 pm

RDA wrote:
voip-1 wrote:Junior was born on Friday, I'm not the proud father of a very cute little kid.
You sure seem proud for not being the father...

;)

Amazing how one wrong letter in an otherwise complete sentence changes the meaning.

Seriously, congrats on the new kid, my boy is now eight weeks old and sleeping here beside me on the couch...
At least I can chalk up the typo to sleep deprivation. :)

RDA
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by RDA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am

voip-1 wrote:
RDA wrote:
voip-1 wrote:Junior was born on Friday, I'm not the proud father of a very cute little kid.
You sure seem proud for not being the father...

;)

Amazing how one wrong letter in an otherwise complete sentence changes the meaning.

Seriously, congrats on the new kid, my boy is now eight weeks old and sleeping here beside me on the couch...
At least I can chalk up the typo to sleep deprivation. :)
Indeed, you are forgiven.

gabe1519
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:11 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by gabe1519 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Don't you guys have wives? Instead of adding your child can't you just put your wife's name in there? Then later add your child?

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Do I need my trust set up first?

Post by voip-1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 am

gabe1519 wrote:Don't you guys have wives? Instead of adding your child can't you just put your wife's name in there? Then later add your child?
That's a legitimate point. My wife is listed as a trustee, and the attorney who drew up my trust also provided a form to appoint new co-trustees but my understanding is they might not have the same legal rights as original trustees. I'm sure that the attorney could have added my son to the trust later but potentially for a fee I would imagine.

Post Reply