Suppressed Rifle or SBR with Suppressor?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sealtee

Suppressed Rifle or SBR with Suppressor?

Post by Sealtee »

Ok so I am a new member to this forum and new owner of two 300 BLK’s. My 16” carbine gassed 300 BLK will stay as is and will be primarily for supers in the 110-125gr range. My questions lie with the 10.5” pistol gassed upper. During my initial testing I will run it as a pistol, no big deal. What I want to do however is to do a form 1. When I get the ok, I want to make and install a PERMINANT suppressor on this barrel making it in excess of 16 inches long. I will accomplish this by pinning the suppressor to the barrel so that it will have to be machined to get it off. My thinking is that when the barrel is in excess of 16 inches long then this thing would NOT be an SBR but rather just a suppressed rifle and I would only need one tax stamp. (And one tax payment!)

Is this flawed thinking? Seems to me that it would be little different than a 14.5 inch M4 with a 1-1/2 inch flash hider permanently installed.

Next question I have is how often does the ATF come and inspect the NFA item(s) your Trust has? Is this a yearly thing?

Thanks in advance!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressed Rifle or SBR with Suppressor?

Post by Abiqua »

You are correct in that the barrel and permanently attached muzzle device over 16" is not an SBR. You are incorrect that the ATF will come inspect your stuff.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Sealtee wrote: Next question I have is how often does the ATF come and inspect the NFA item(s) your Trust has? Is this a yearly thing?

That's a great idea. Lets have a special tax on From1 and Form4's to fund an additional 10,000 ATF inspectors to check out your trust paperwork and NFA items once per year. :P
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

Pinning a suppressor is just not wise IMO. Just pay the extra $200 and have the ability to take it off.

What are you going to do if you get a baffle strike? Machine it off, send it in, and then weld/pin it back on? That's a lot of hassle.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Sealtee wrote:Is this flawed thinking?
Yes! :lol:

Not from a legal but from a practical standpoint. IMO, spend the $200 and buy yourself some flexibility. If nothing else, it will buy you the ability to use the suppressor on different firearms. Because the two you own now won't be the last two. :mrgreen:
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Or just have your 10" cut to 8.5, and send it in to Liberty for a nice Leonidas. That's the exact route I took after CMMG came out with the new line of barrels that are skinny behind the gas port. Luckily, Aero Precision stepped up with a nice heavy barrel, just a bit too long.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
Sealtee

Post by Sealtee »

polizei1 wrote:Pinning a suppressor is just not wise IMO. Just pay the extra $200 and have the ability to take it off.

What are you going to do if you get a baffle strike? Machine it off, send it in, and then weld/pin it back on? That's a lot of hassle.
I guess that I should have mentioned that in my state SBR’s are not legal. So to have a removable can would mean that I would have to run this thing as a pistol and without a bipod. If this were not the case I would surely agree with you and would have never asked the question to begin with!

Regarding a baffle strike. First of all, as you know, we try to avoid such things, secondly if/when such a thing does happen or if I should want to take the thing apart for cleaning, the design is such that the "guts" can be removed from the front and without removing it from the barrel. Technically this would allow for testing with the can on and without anything the projectile could strike. If/when such a strike does happen, as long as it is not a catastrophic strike where the can is damaged, I remove the damaged parts and machine new ones! (In addition, I should have mentioned that I have a rather complete machine shop!) So for me, I can see no practical down side with a permanently mounted can!

As you know this is going to be a fairly long process. I will keep you posted as to how this thing works out.

Thank you for your responses!
Sealtee

Post by Sealtee »

randyrucker wrote:
Sealtee wrote: Next question I have is how often does the ATF come and inspect the NFA item(s) your Trust has? Is this a yearly thing?

That's a great idea. Lets have a special tax on From1 and Form4's to fund an additional 10,000 ATF inspectors to check out your trust paperwork and NFA items once per year. :P
In another of my hobbies we used to have to obtain a LEUP (Low Explosive User Permit) from the ATF to store either e-matches, BP or larger hobby rocket motors. Having such a permit not only allowed you to store these items it also allowed the ATF to come by each year and inspect your “Proper” fireproof storage container and your records! This was the reason for my question on this! Believe me when I tell you that I am NOT an advocate of more government programs!! :shock:
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Brother...dont pin the suppressor!!

If you cant do your pistol into an SBR, just put a Sig Arm Brace on the pistol. Still a pistol but you can shoot it like a rifle. Add your can and have fun
Simple!!!
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

Well, the additional information certainly changes things...but I agree 100%, just make it a pistol and use a sig brace. That way you can still have the removable suppressor, AND the short barrel. :mrgreen: