SBRing a M&P 15 in 22lr??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

SBRing a M&P 15 in 22lr??

Post by Sharkbite »

Anybody ever shortned the barrel on a MP15 in 22?? Im thinking about taking off everything past the handguard and threading it for my suppressor

Im wondering
A. How The barrel comes out of the recvr
B. If i can send the upper/barrel to a machinist to cut and thread. Does that count as manufacturing a SBR or does it only become manf once its put on a rifle lower? In other words can just any old Joe cut it or do i have to be there with tax stamp in hand as its cut?

Its not like doing a standard AR... No pistol lower to fall back on while i wait cor the stamp
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBRing a M&P 15 in 22lr??

Post by Sithlord »

Sharkbite wrote:Anybody ever shortned the barrel on a MP15 in 22?? Im thinking about taking off everything past the handguard and threading it for my suppressor

Im wondering
A. How The barrel comes out of the recvr
B. If i can send the upper/barrel to a machinist to cut and thread. Does that count as manufacturing a SBR or does it only become manf once its put on a rifle lower? In other words can just any old Joe cut it or do i have to be there with tax stamp in hand as its cut?

Its not like doing a standard AR... No pistol lower to fall back on while i wait cor the stamp
Are you referring to the S&W M&P 15-22, or a S&W M&P 15 with a 22lr upper receiver. They are completely different things, and neither has anything to do with the 300 BLK.

However, assuming (from some of your other comments) that you are referring to the 15-22, unless you have a 15-22p (the pistol version, which is fairly rare), the moment you have possession of the 15-22 upper with a shortened barrel, you immediately have what would qualify as an SBR, because the 15-22 upper will not fit a standard AR-15 milspec LOWER. Thus, you would HAVE TO HAVE the M&P 15-22p to be legal (or wait for the SBR stamp).

The 15-22 barrel does not come out like a standard AR-15 barrel either. Different tools are required. Here is a barrel nut wrench for the 15-22:
http://www.tacticool22.com/shop/barrel- ... -p-18.html

I recommend hopping over to the S&W M&P 15-22 forum and asking there:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

You could place the lower under someone else's control, not at your residence.

Possession of a short barreled upper by its self, is not a violation of the NFA.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I did a 4.5" 15-22 rifle. I sent it off to get threaded the day the stamp came back. I also had a 15-22 pistol to play with until the F1 SBR stamp came back.

I unscrewed the barrel nut from the receiver/barrel with a homemade wrench I made from 1" conduit. Be sure to clamp to the barrel, NOT the upper receiver or you will bend the bolt slide. Joint http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/ to learn how.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
rckshrk2

Post by rckshrk2 »

I also SBRed a M&P15-22. Mine has a 5.5" barrel and a shortened rail so that I can get a grip on the Spectre II mounted underneath the rail. While the form 1 was being processed, I shipped the lower off to be engraved. And once I got my form 1 approval, the upper was shipped to have the barrel and rail chopped.

Identmarking handled the engraving and I can't remember off the top of my head the name of the person who did my barrel work, but I would happily use either service again. I recall at the time it was a big plus for me that neither service required me to break down the rifle. When I have a chance, I'll post pictures along with info on the guys who did the work for me.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Info on the shop that chopped and threaded the barrels would be GREAT

The above pic is what i have in mind. Beeeeeautiful 8)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

JP Grips is cheap and good for chop/threading.

Local trophy shop laser engraved the lower before the stamp was sent for $30. It took in about an hour. Got to love a plastic receiver. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
rckshrk2

Post by rckshrk2 »

Here are those picture and info I promised. Identmarking handled the engraving for me and Jim Pixley at http://www.jpgrips.com took care of the barrel and rail chop. Both did a great job, I would highly recommend them. And finally, I want to apologize up front as my photoshop kungfu isn't as refined as a lot of others posting on the board.

1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Do you know how much they would charge just for cutting the barrel down and threading?
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
rckshrk2

Post by rckshrk2 »

1slow01Z71 wrote:Do you know how much they would charge just for cutting the barrel down and threading?
Just send JPGrips a quick email. I'm sure you'll get a quote within a day or so. I contacted them about 6 months prior to having the work done on mine. I honestly don't remember how much I paid, but I do remember being pleasantly surprised that it wasn't any where near as much as I expected.