How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

morris
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Post by morris »

Yes fully extended and I don't believe you include the flash hider unless it is pinned.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/1 ... heres-how/
DMIINC
Silent Operator

Post by DMIINC »

Yesterday I filled out the form and mailed it folowing instructions from this post and other forums. We will see what happens. I went corp. route instead of trust. Filled out Certificate of compliance also.
85 Jimmy

Post by 85 Jimmy »

If you are using a trust do you put just the trust name in block 4h or do you have to add the city and state? Also do you have to have the city and state engraved on the lower? What do you do if you move (not the paperwork to move with a NFA item, but do you have to change the engraving on the lower)?

Using a trust do you have to get get finger printed, send in a photo, and get a CLEO sign off?
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

85 Jimmy wrote:If you are using a trust do you put just the trust name in block 4h or do you have to add the city and state? Also do you have to have the city and state engraved on the lower? What do you do if you move (not the paperwork to move with a NFA item, but do you have to change the engraving on the lower)?

Using a trust do you have to get get finger printed, send in a photo, and get a CLEO sign off?
Block 4H should list the name of the original manufacturer of the lower (ie: Bushmaster, PWA, etc)

You must engrave the trust name, city and state on the lower

If you move, it makes no difference in terms of what was engraved on the lower. Your trust will have been legally formed in a specific state and will continue to legally exist in that state regardless of where you live.

Trust eliminates fingerprinting, photo, blessing by CLEO.
85 Jimmy

Post by 85 Jimmy »

FirefighterCT wrote:
85 Jimmy wrote:If you are using a trust do you put just the trust name in block 4h or do you have to add the city and state? Also do you have to have the city and state engraved on the lower? What do you do if you move (not the paperwork to move with a NFA item, but do you have to change the engraving on the lower)?

Block 4H should list the name of the original manufacturer of the lower (ie: Bushmaster, PWA, etc)

You must engrave the trust name, city and state on the lower

If you move, it makes no difference in terms of what was engraved on the lower. Your trust will have been legally formed in a specific state and will continue to legally exist in that state regardless of where you live.

Trust eliminates fingerprinting, photo, blessing by CLEO.
4A is for the name and location of the original manufacturer.
4H is additional descriptiion. So I'd put my Trust name, then my city and state?

What if I move to a different state that does allow NFA items?
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

"What if I move to a different state that does allow NFA items?"

Then ATF will not approve you to move the NFA item to that state, and if you do, you will be in violation of that state's law. You would either need to sell your item(s) or store in a state that allows NFA items. For example: During my 20 year Navy career, I often left some items in a safe deposit box or in the bank's vault if too big to put in a safe deposit box.
85 Jimmy

Post by 85 Jimmy »

Whole Bunches wrote:"What if I move to a different state that does allow NFA items?"

Then ATF will not approve you to move the NFA item to that state, and if you do, you will be in violation of that state's law. You would either need to sell your item(s) or store in a state that allows NFA items. For example: During my 20 year Navy career, I often left some items in a safe deposit box or in the bank's vault if too big to put in a safe deposit box.
So if I move from my current state to another state that DOES allow NFA items I have to sell the item, and then start over again in my new state?
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

85 Jimmy wrote:
So if I move from my current state to another state that DOES allow NFA items I have to sell the item, and then start over again in my new state?
Why would you have to do that?

Fill out a 5320.20, check #2 NO, and send it in.

I send in a little letter saying something like:
I am moving from XXXXXXXX to XXXXXXXX on or about XX January 2013. Please see the enclosed form and update the NFA registry.

signed

They will send you back your approved 5320.20 to your ORIGINAL ADDRESS and you MUST have that in hand prior to moving your NFA weapons. If you have to move before you will get your forms and plan to store you weapons temporarily in your old state(say in a safe deposit box) and will not have access to the mail at that location simply put in your letter to please mail the approved forms to your NEW address. Then once your forms come to your NEW address you can go back and retrieve your items from their storage location and take them to your new address.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

85 Jimmy wrote:4A is for the name and location of the original manufacturer.
4H is additional descriptiion. So I'd put my Trust name, then my city and state?

What if I move to a different state that does allow NFA items?
Very sorry, I looked too quickly at one of my form 1's... 4a is for the original manufacturer.

Whenever I have filed a form 1 in the past, I've always put pre-existing "identifying data" in 4h. For example, one of mine read "COMMANDO SER. xxxxx" because that was already rollmarked into my lower.
fitz5011

Post by fitz5011 »

According to the instructions on Form 1, under 2I titled Serial Numbers and other markings, It states that if an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the origional manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts (ie. you manufactured the receiver) YOUR name and address are to be entered into 4a. and a serial number You create is to be entered into Item 4g. Therefore according to the instructions for Form 1 you do not need to engrave an existing firearm (made and stamped by someone else) to be used with a SBR, you only need the manufactures info already stamped on the receiver.