How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DMIINC
Silent Operator

Re: How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Post by DMIINC »

I put 300 BLK on all 4 of my papers and they all got approved.
jdonovan
Silent Operator

Post by jdonovan »

put something other than:
multi
any
all

and you'll get it approved
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

My first post and a couple questions for you guys that have been around the block.
This week I plan to submit my papers for my first SBR. According to ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92), I am required to include the caliber as part of the engraving.
Since my receiver is marked by the original manufacturer as "multi", I believe that I need to include the specific cal in the new engraving. Is this true?
The real question is: If I use multiple calibers on my SBR do each of the different calibers need to be engraved on the receiver? It seems ridiculous to have the original "multi" listed, add my own SBR cal, then add more or use "multi" again.
If "multi" is not acceptable for Form 1 4c, do I still need to include "Caliber: Multi" in 4h since it is to be changed with the additional engraving?
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

Did all mine, so far,as "30 Cal", with 9" barrels. I do know that I will have at least one 300aac, with a 9" barrel. The rest may wind up being other things.... 6.8, 7.62x39 (still 30 cal), 5.56. etc.

BTW, the only options with my lowers were 5.56 and 30 cal.

But I'll always have at least one 9" 30 cal, for all my lowers.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Crimson wrote:My first post and a couple questions for you guys that have been around the block.
This week I plan to submit my papers for my first SBR. According to ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92), I am required to include the caliber as part of the engraving.
Since my receiver is marked by the original manufacturer as "multi", I believe that I need to include the specific cal in the new engraving. Is this true?
The real question is: If I use multiple calibers on my SBR do each of the different calibers need to be engraved on the receiver? It seems ridiculous to have the original "multi" listed, add my own SBR cal, then add more or use "multi" again.
If "multi" is not acceptable for Form 1 4c, do I still need to include "Caliber: Multi" in 4h since it is to be changed with the additional engraving?

My lower also has "multi" on the lower. That term is not something you want to put anywere on the form 1. You don't need to engrave the lower with every caliber you have or might aquire at some point in the future. What they want is the information on the caliber you have now or are planning to get when the form is approved. In block 4h what they want is the engraving info you are putting on your lower. Name(or trust name), city, state. Remember only state can be abbreviated.

CFR 479.102 deals with manufacture of all firearms. It is obvious that stamping a caliber on the lower of an AR-15 does nothing to incicate what the actual caliber of the upper to be. If you buy a complete rifle the lower is stamped with the caliber of the upper because that's the way the rifle was produced. If you buy an unrgesitered lower like we did it comes stamped with "multi" since the company has no idea what caliber upper will be placed on it.

What the NFA is looking for on the form is the caliber of the upper you are going to use. You are free to change the caliber or barrel length at any time but you have to put something on the form besides "muliti" to placate the NFA. When the firearm was made, the maker put "multi" as the caliber and it is accepted under GCA as a weapon with that designation. Why the NFA won't accept that is just another example of government trying to over control gun issuses.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

randyrucker wrote:
Crimson wrote:My first post and a couple questions for you guys that have been around the block.

My lower also has "multi" on the lower. That term is not something you want to put anywere on the form 1. You don't need to engrave the lower with every caliber you have or might aquire at some point in the future. What they want is the information on the caliber you have now or are planning to get when the form is approved. In block 4h what they want is the engraving info you are putting on your lower. Name(or trust name), city, state. Remember only state can be abbreviated.

CFR 479.102 deals with manufacture of all firearms. It is obvious that stamping a caliber on the lower of an AR-15 does nothing to incicate what the actual caliber of the upper to be. If you buy a complete rifle the lower is stamped with the caliber of the upper because that's the way the rifle was produced. If you buy an unrgesitered lower like we did it comes stamped with "multi" since the company has no idea what caliber upper will be placed on it.

What the NFA is looking for on the form is the caliber of the upper you are going to use. You are free to change the caliber or barrel length at any time but you have to put something on the form besides "muliti" to placate the NFA. When the firearm was made, the maker put "multi" as the caliber and it is accepted under GCA as a weapon with that designation. Why the NFA won't accept that is just another example of government trying to over control gun issuses.
"Multi" is an option on the eForm 1, and it is also the option that I selected.

I guess I'll find out soon enough if they don't like that choice or not.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I would very much like to see the NFA approve "multi" as the caliber as that is the most accurate description for an AR that you build on an unregistered lower and already stamped on the lower. I am suprised it is an eform option as I was told by others on the forum the NFA was rejecting Form 1's with "multi" as the listed caliber.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

I will let you know.

It most certainly is an option on the eFile Form 1. And since my lower says "Cal: Multi" on it, and I do intend to use a 300BLK upper but also a 10.5" .223/5.56 upper eventually, I thought it was the right choice.

I guess we'll find out.

I'll keep you posted.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

Along with "multi" being acceptable for caliber, I wish they would make "multi" acceptable for the length. We can dream (along with shorter weight times).
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Since Multi is an acceptable caliber for most NFA items it would make sense. I keep finding examples where it has been rejected over the past few years. The attorney that drafted my trust recommended not to use multi due to it being often rejected. It does NOT make sense that it could be rejected if the NFA itself has it listed as an option on the eform. I guess I'll probably find out soon too since I don't plan to wait long to get mine submitted.
Thanks for the replies guys!