How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Post by certifiable »

exx1976 wrote:
randyrucker wrote:
Crimson wrote:My first post and a couple questions for you guys that have been around the block.
This week I plan to submit my papers for my first SBR. According to ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92), I am required to include the caliber as part of the engraving.
Since my receiver is marked by the original manufacturer as "multi", I believe that I need to include the specific cal in the new engraving. Is this true?
The real question is: If I use multiple calibers on my SBR do each of the different calibers need to be engraved on the receiver? It seems ridiculous to have the original "multi" listed, add my own SBR cal, then add more or use "multi" again.
If "multi" is not acceptable for Form 1 4c, do I still need to include "Caliber: Multi" in 4h since it is to be changed with the additional engraving?

My lower also has "multi" on the lower. That term is not something you want to put anywere on the form 1. You don't need to engrave the lower with every caliber you have or might aquire at some point in the future. What they want is the information on the caliber you have now or are planning to get when the form is approved. In block 4h what they want is the engraving info you are putting on your lower. Name(or trust name), city, state. Remember only state can be abbreviated.

CFR 479.102 deals with manufacture of all firearms. It is obvious that stamping a caliber on the lower of an AR-15 does nothing to incicate what the actual caliber of the upper to be. If you buy a complete rifle the lower is stamped with the caliber of the upper because that's the way the rifle was produced. If you buy an unrgesitered lower like we did it comes stamped with "multi" since the company has no idea what caliber upper will be placed on it.

What the NFA is looking for on the form is the caliber of the upper you are going to use. You are free to change the caliber or barrel length at any time but you have to put something on the form besides "muliti" to placate the NFA. When the firearm was made, the maker put "multi" as the caliber and it is accepted under GCA as a weapon with that designation. Why the NFA won't accept that is just another example of government trying to over control gun issuses.
"Multi" is an option on the eForm 1, and it is also the option that I selected.

I guess I'll find out soon enough if they don't like that choice or not.
If you put " Multi" anywhere on the form1, you will get it back for correction.
Been there, done that!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

Like I said, we'll find out.

Their online system offers it as a choice, and their automated thing that checks for accuracy of forms being filled out didn't kick it back at me.

I'll come back and update either way.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Multi has been removed from the options (because they do reject it now). I have been trying for the past several hours and throughout the day to submit my form 1. The atfonline site is terribly slow and kicks errors frequently.
It's like shooting a Jennings 22, you know it should work, was intended to work, some times gives hope of working. Ultimately you just want to throw it away and call it a loss.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

Crimson wrote:Multi has been removed from the options (because they do reject it now). I have been trying for the past several hours and throughout the day to submit my form 1. The atfonline site is terribly slow and kicks errors frequently.
It's like shooting a Jennings 22, you know it should work, was intended to work, some times gives hope of working. Ultimately you just want to throw it away and call it a loss.
After trying a few times to get in there and verify that it's been removed, I gave up and called ATF.

The nice guy that answered the phone told me that Multi will cause it to be rejected. I asked why it was a choice then if they don't accept it? He transferred me to someone's voicemail and I left a message. Probably won't get a call back, but we'll see.

Looks like I'm going to have to resubmit. At least I only submitted it initially 10 days ago, so I'm not losing much time.

Edit to add:

Just got a call back from NFA. Wow, that was quick. 17 minutes. I was expecting a week. LOL Anyway, he said Multi is an option because it is needed to register certain machine guns, but it should NOT be selected for an SBR application. He is going to void the application on his side and issue the refund for me, and said I should just go ahead and resubmit.

I lost 8 business days on the app. Not too bad. Glad I figured this out now.... Thanks to those of you who pointed this out to me now, rather than 3 months from now...
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

There are SEVERAL of my buddies who have "MULTI" SBR's lowers
that have been through the process and were approved. That being
said.....I know just as many who have been asked to "correct" that
box. I think its up to the examiner and some approve it and some
don't.

As for the automated system.....it was indeed an option on Monday.
My dad and brothers submitted 3 new forms that day. They didn't
use the "MULTI" distinction but it was there.

The one I submitted in December, I also chose to NOT tempt fate
and chose 300 as my caliber.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

As soon as their "daily maintenance" outage is over, I'm going to resubmit. The guy said I could go ahead and do it right away.

Meh. My SOT hasn't even gotten the completed Form 3's yet for the cans, so I'm not worried (this is a dedicated suppressor host). As long as I can have the whole thing running before summer is out, I'll be happy.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

Thanks for the clarifications and follow-up on the "multi" caliber issue, I have a form 1 I plan to do electronically and would have probably used that option had it been available (despite hearing all of the stories of paper submissions being rejected for that reason).
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

RDA wrote:Thanks for the clarifications and follow-up on the "multi" caliber issue, I have a form 1 I plan to do electronically and would have probably used that option had it been available (despite hearing all of the stories of paper submissions being rejected for that reason).

With paper submissions, my NFA lawyer (just got off the phone with him too about a Schedule A question because of this (I had caliber Multi on the Schedule A)) told me they used to be able to just list out ALL the calibers they intended to use. It's only with the eFile system this is an issue, because you can only select a single caliber.

He said as soon as I get my stamp, just drop a letter in the mail to them saying "Stamp number blah blah will also be used with the following calibers, in varying barrel lengths".
manchumedic

Post by manchumedic »

I just got my trust set up and I had some questions about getting an SBR.

Is it better/quicker to use the electronic form versus the paper form?

And where do you all engrave your lower or what's a good place?
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

WAY faster to do eForms.

Engraving, I used Ident Marking , TX. $61 including the ride.