Filling Out Form 4

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sherc14
Silent Operator

Filling Out Form 4

Post by Sherc14 »

I am a newbie so please do not jump me too bad if I sound like I have no clue what I'm talking about. I'm on another forum that has gotten so bad that members can't post info about topics the board was created for. Its crazy, I know.

So, my question.........
Does anyone here have some experience with setting up NFA Trusts? If so, will you send me a PM or email? I have a few questions about the Form 4 and drafting the trust. I see that QuikenWillMaker does not work any longer in some states, and most if not all would recommend having an attorney draft the NFA trust. I have contacted some attorneys in my area, but they do not have any experience with NFA trusts. I have ordered the suppressor through a local dealer and would like to get a jump start on filling out the paperwork while we wait on the serial number of the suppressor.

If you have some experience with drafting NFA Trusts, or have set up a NFA trust for your class 3 items will you please contact me.

thank you
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Filling Out Form 4

Post by SpaceWrangler »

Hi. I bought my first Title II weapon, a new Colt 6933, as an individual, having my county Sheriff sign off on both copies of my Form 4. When I went back a while later with a Form 4 for a suppressor, he told me he didn't believe I needed a suppressor, and refused to sign.

I don't need an elected official telling me what I may and may not buy here in a free state. Time to set up a Trust and bypass the good Sheriff.

Although many others have done so, I didn't want to set up my Trust using Quicken and other 'cheap and easy' means. I didn't want to jeopardize my collection of goodies (along with my house and job) by setting up a Trust wrong and having the BATF&E declaring it invalid and therefore my Title II weapons illegal. Since we're dealing with the law and several pages of fine print written in legalese, I decided to leave it to a professional.

I called David Goldman at Gun Trust Lawyers (Apple Law Firm) in Jacksonville, Florida.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/contact.html

In regard to NFA Trusts, he is partnered with lawyers all over the country (laws differ from state-to-state, hence the handoff to an attorney in your area). I spent a few minutes on the phone answering a few questions about location, Co-Trustees, Beneficiaries, etc.

A couple days later I received an email from an attorney in my own town, with a copy of my Trust attached in the email. I printed it and had the Co-Trustees and Beneficiaries sign it in the presence of a Notary, and witnessed. Then I sent it back to have it executed by the local attorney.

Total cost was $600.00. If that's the cost of my peace of mind on the issue of NFA Gun Trusts, and to know it was done right, I consider it money well-spent.
Last edited by SpaceWrangler on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sherc14
Silent Operator

Post by Sherc14 »

Thank you. I have seen there website. I may give them a call and see if they would be willing to help me out.
NickelBrass
Silent Operator

Post by NickelBrass »

Hello, I too have a NFA trust and I got it using David Goldman's company. It is just that painless. I also feel that it is worth the money to get it done correctly and be done with it. Here is a little trick that I did with mine that you might consider. I set up the trust with two primary owners, co-owners, and I have trustees and you have to have a beneficiary. Now, the firearms stay in the trust as long as the owner is alive. On his/her death the firearms will go to the beneficiary and they must get them all registered to themself. With the two owner trust that I have set up, As long as there is an owner alive, the trust is not broken. If the owner that is still alive adds another co-owner to the trust before he passes on, then the trust stays intact. The owners can add and remove trustees to the trust as the children get old enough and so forth. The firearms and trust can stay intact for many many years and passed down generations. Once the trust is broken, the beneficiary at the time will take ownership and responsibility of all the items entered into the trust. Hopefully, that person can legally own the firearms at that time. I think they told me that it cost $50 to modify the trust each time that you need or want to do so. It is a very nice way to hold your goods. One other thing, any one named in the trust can legally have an item in their possession and use any item without getting into any transfer trouble. This is a good thing. PM if you need any more info.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

Not sure if he does other states, but you might want to give Sean Cody a call as well.

He's a NFA Gun Trust Attorney here in TX and is one of the Guru's on the subject. I got mine from him and it was painless as well. Did it one the phone/email and it turned out great.

Worth a shot.

http://www.texasnfatrust.com/
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
knoxville
Silent Operator

Post by knoxville »

I to spent alot of time and sent many emails researching trust's used for NFA items. I had mine completed by Patrick Stegall this past year and have had no problems using it to transfer items. Patrick was great to deal with and everthing was done in a very timely manner. Not to mention that he had the best price that I could find anywhere.
I hope this helps in your search!

Patrick Stegall
www.stegall-law.com/