Lower Registration

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

shootone

Lower Registration

Post by shootone »

Quesiton,

if i have a bushmaster lower marked 556

can i register that for a 300blkout build?

or do i need a lower marked multi under caliber?
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lower Registration

Post by SpaceWrangler »

"Multi-Caliber" won't swing with the ATF. They want a specific caliber on the Form 1 and / or Form 4.

If you're building the gun from parts, fill in the 'Caliber' box on your ATF Form 1 with whatever caliber the weapon is going to be, regardless of what's engraved on the lower.

So if you're building a 300BLK Short-Barrel Rifle from parts, write "300 Blackout", "300BLK", or "300 AAC BLK" in the 'Caliber' box of the Form 1.
Last edited by SpaceWrangler on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shootone

Post by shootone »

SP

I refering to the markings on the lower, i should of been more specific.

So if my bushmaster lower is marked 556 i can still register it as a 300 aac blackout and then purchase an 8in barrel for it?

as far as mulit cailber, i meant do i need a lower marked mulit cailber for a 300black out
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

shootone wrote: So if my bushmaster lower is marked 556 i can still register it as a 300 aac blackout and then purchase an 8in barrel for it?
Correct. It doesn't matter what's engraved on the lower, just as long as the forms reflect the caliber of the weapon you're building.

You know you will have to engrave your (or your Trust's) name and city, state on the lower, right?
shootone

Post by shootone »

yes i am familiar with that part

i have one registered lower already but it was set up as s 556 11.5in barrel

and i now want an 8in 300 blkout and have an extra bushy lower that is perfect for the project, just was unsure of lower markings. called atf to ask and clarify but didnt get anywhere.

thanks for the help.
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

No problem.

You may as well jump on it as soon as you can... ATF Tax Stamp approval times are pushing five months nowadays.

http://www.nfatracker.com/

http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/NfaWait.php

Bleh. Image
NickelBrass
Silent Operator

Post by NickelBrass »

You can also just use your 300 Blk upper on your 5.56 lower. As long as you retain the ability to put the SBR back into it's registered condition, one can change the configuration from short to long barrel and back or even to a different caliber. While it is NOT required to do so, most folks say that a short letter to the BATFE stating that your registered lower will occasional be sporting a different caliber is a nice cover your ass touch.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

shootone wrote:SP

I refering to the markings on the lower, i should of been more specific.

So if my bushmaster lower is marked 556 i can still register it as a 300 aac blackout and then purchase an 8in barrel for it?

as far as mulit cailber, i meant do i need a lower marked mulit cailber for a 300black out
See viewtopic.php?f=152&t=78845, my post from today. I understand perfectly what you are asking. Since you are applying to make a 300 BLK SBR, and the caliber is a required marking, and the lower you would be using/listing on the form 1 is not marked 300 BLK, MY interpretation (see link in my post) is that either you would have to also mark the receiver 300 BLK or the barrel could be marked. The easiest would be if the barrel is already marked 300 BLK from the manufacturer as that would satisfy the caliber marking requirement. Of course, in the meantime you can use the short 300 BLK barrel on your already registered SBR until your new SBR form 1 is approved...the same as I'm doing. Like you, I wanted another SBR form1'd as 300 BLK as a project with other components than what I have on my Colt SBR. Hope this helps. Be sure and follow the ATF link in my post and read sections 6 and 7. They also have the applicable CFR sections you can refer to and read the actual regulations the ATF NFA Handbook comes from.