SBR Interstate transport

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

SBR Interstate transport

Post by Flatliner »

All,

I have never traveled out of state with my SBR or Suppressor. I have a chance to hunt hogs in TX in about a month. 3 questions:

1.) Do I even bother, given the current shutdown or are those still getting processed?
2.) Is it correct that all I have to do is fill out ATF 5320.20 and email it in for the SBR, that the Suppressor is not an issue?
3.) Am I likely to get hassled on Southwest Airlines, I have never had an issue with handguns but haven't traveled with an AR?

Thanks
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR Interstate transport

Post by Sharkbite »

A 5320.20 is the correct form. I would doubt they are being processed with the shut down.

MG’s, SBR’s and SBS’s require an approved form to transport across state lines. Suppressors do not.

I would personally not travel without an approved form. Just not worth the hassle
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Flatliner wrote:All,

I have never traveled out of state with my SBR or Suppressor. I have a chance to hunt hogs in TX in about a month. 3 questions:

1.) Do I even bother, given the current shutdown or are those still getting processed?
2.) Is it correct that all I have to do is fill out ATF 5320.20 and email it in for the SBR, that the Suppressor is not an issue?
3.) Am I likely to get hassled on Southwest Airlines, I have never had an issue with handguns but haven't traveled with an AR?

Thanks
1) Yes - bother. Regardless of whether the gov't is shut down, send the form in; keep a copy or receipt of date submitted in case you are hassled [likely won't happen].

2) I don't believe you can email the Form 20. Also, you need one Form 20 per state. The location field (section 7) can really be anywhere in the state you are travelling to. Also, the temporary permission form is good for up to 365 days - so set your from / to dates a year apart. Suppressors do not require a Form 20, only SBRs, SBSs, MG (perhaps AOWs, I forget), although some folks put their suppressors on the Form 20.
You can fax it to 304 616-4501, or snail mail it to:
NFA Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Remember to do 2 copies per state - they will keep 1, and return the other. That is true EVEN IF YOU FAX IT TO THEM.

3) The airline shouldn't care what it being transported so long as it's legal (which is TSA's job) - in fact, they shouldn't even be looking at your firearms.
I've never had an "issue" with my SBRs or suppressors (although during the TSA scan, a few agents are certainly inquisitive). They haven't ever asked me for the Form 20, or Form 1 / Form 4....
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

If you do get checked, it's a Federal offense and you have no defense. That could turn in to a really expensive hunting trip. In absence of the approved form, you could have your firearm shipped to a FFL in Texas and pick it up there, hunt, then ship it home.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

rlandry6 wrote:If you do get checked, it's a Federal offense and you have no defense. That could turn in to a really expensive hunting trip. In absence of the approved form, you could have your firearm shipped to a FFL in Texas and pick it up there, hunt, then ship it home.
That's a legal option? I have NO intention of risking something illegal, I have other gun options...
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Put a pistol brace on it and fly the friendly skies.

No, you can't ship it.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Putting a pistol brace on a SBR does NOT make it a pistol. In order to be a pistol, it must have ORIGINALLY been a pistol. If you made your SBR put of a pistol, then it might be legal to turn it back into a pistol (IDK for sure). If it was a rifle you did a form 1 on and made it into a SBR, changing the furniture does not make it a pistol
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Sharkbite wrote:
Putting a pistol brace on a SBR does NOT make it a pistol. In order to be a pistol, it must have ORIGINALLY been a pistol. If you made your SBR put of a pistol, then it might be legal to turn it back into a pistol (IDK for sure). If it was a rifle you did a form 1 on and made it into a SBR, changing the furniture does not make it a pistol
You've been reading too many ATF opinion letters.
Thom

Post by Thom »

Sharkbite wrote:

How does anyone know if it was originally a pistol?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

golfindia wrote:Put a pistol brace on it and fly the friendly skies.

No, you can't ship it.
You can strip it to a bare receiver, but unless you remove it from the registry, it will still be an NFA item.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.