Reloading Inventory v3 app for Android users just released

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloader's Inventory app for Android users just released!

Post by exx1976 »

r.tenorio671 wrote:... A useful feature in your app would be the ability to export it to your laptop/desktop with the formulae intact so that you can use it in MS Excel 8)

I can do that. What do you mean when you say formulae, and what would the spreadsheet look like?
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

exx1976 wrote:
r.tenorio671 wrote:... A useful feature in your app would be the ability to export it to your laptop/desktop with the formulae intact so that you can use it in MS Excel 8)

I can do that. What do you mean when you say formulae, and what would the spreadsheet look like?
...for what little I know, it sounds like your app uses multiple linked tables that have embedded calculations that will update the appropriate fields as a data element changes. The few phone apps I've used are limited in that they can accept imported files in one of the delimited, txt or csv formats or export in the same flat file format. Unfortunately, a flat file doesn't always include the calculations. Your app sounds on the surface to be more of a database that uses a form (or forms) for the user interface, but most SS applications have some sort of "form" capability as well, but not always easy for the majority of users to create on their own. FWIW, if your app could be interchangable between the desktop and the mobile device where export/import of the data could be done for synching you would probably reach a larger target audience. Data file interchange can be via USB, NFC, BT, e-mail attachment, basically any media format that doesn't rely on the cloud. If the cloud is compromised, unreachable or gone.... Just my depreciated $0.02....
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

r.tenorio671 wrote:
exx1976 wrote:

...for what little I know, it sounds like your app uses multiple linked tables that have embedded calculations that will update the appropriate fields as a data element changes. The few phone apps I've used are limited in that they can accept imported files in one of the delimited, txt or csv formats or export in the same flat file format. Unfortunately, a flat file doesn't always include the calculations. Your app sounds on the surface to be more of a database that uses a form (or forms) for the user interface, but most SS applications have some sort of "form" capability as well, but not always easy for the majority of users to create on their own. FWIW, if your app could be interchangable between the desktop and the mobile device where export/import of the data could be done for synching you would probably reach a larger target audience. Data file interchange can be via USB, NFC, BT, e-mail attachment, basically any media format that doesn't rely on the cloud. If the cloud is compromised, unreachable or gone.... Just my depreciated $0.02....

You're correct, it's a multi-table SQLiteDatabase. All calculation and data manipulation is done on the front-end and then posted to the database.

I originally wrote this Android app for personal use, and one of my previous "solutions" (among many) actually was a desktop-based application. But what I found during my initial research (prior to deciding to make the Android app available to the masses) was that a lot of guys don't have a computer near their bench, nor do they have room to put a laptop on their bench. The reason I switched from the desktop app to the mobile app for personal use was that without the mobile component, I still found myself in the situation of not having my inventory at my fingertips, and coming home having bought something that I already had, but had forgotten about.

It wouldn't be difficult to dump the tables to a CSV, as you mention, and I can code .NET, so that's not an issue either. Longer term, the issue that I see with that is that I cannot code for Mac, and the iPhone (when that version is released) guys will want feature parity with the Android version. Then there's the non-trivial matter of the distribution of the x86 code (and the Mac code if I go that route), and then multiple branches to support, and.. The list goes on. All for what I'm not entirely certain would be a feature that would be utilized by all but the outliers of the userbase. I'm not a software development house, not do I work for one. That is to say: this was all written in my spare time. I guess my biggest concern would be eventually ending up with 4 code branches to debug and support and add features to. Since there is a finite amount of spare time that I have between shooting competition and working my regular job, this would extend my release timetable significantly. Since I'm very committed to incorporating as many user-requested features as possible, in as timely a manner as possible, I don't know that would be in line with those goals.

Lastly, since this is the first publicly-released version, I've already received numerous feature requests. My next release will be out by the end of January, and the plan is to follow that up with a release by the end of February. That fast of a development cycle (again, taking the amount of available coding time into account) doesn't lend itself to supporting multiple codebases, for multiple platforms, simultaneously. Perhaps once I get most/all of the most commonly requested features added, and the codebase is more stable, I could look at adding something like that in. I'm just trying to be realistic about it. Underpromise & overdeliver is always better than the reverse.

HOWEVER - having said all that, I am keeping a file of all user-requested features, and marking how many requests I've had for said features. If enough requests come in that it would seem to be a popular feature, I will certainly do my best at adding it.

Hopefully you understand.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

There is a new version of the app that's been released.

Also, the name has been changed to "Reloading Inventory" to make it easier to find in the play store.

This new version includes improved workflows for viewing bullets and ammo, and adds the ability to sort them by a couple different fields.

Lastly - and one of the features in this release that excites me most - context menus were added to ammo to change the workflow. One of the buttons on the context menu is "Shoot". When you go to the range and shoot up 100 of your 500 loaded rounds, you click "Shoot" in the app, then enter 100 for the number of rounds fired, and it reduces your inventory of that round by 100. Then, it asks how many pieces of brass were retrieved (auto-fills with the same as the number that were shot). Lastly, it allows you to auto-increment the number of times that brass has been fired - VERY handy for rifle reloaders!

If you have an Android, and haven't checked it out yet, give it a look!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sinventory
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading Inventory app for Android users just released!

Post by exx1976 »

Gentlemen:

Yet another update has just been released.

The interface has been COMPLETELY redesigned. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Enjoy!
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

v2.2.2 released tonight.

Includes some minor touch-ups from the interface redesign.
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

v2.2.4 released earlier today.

Includes preferences now. Turn on/off the following:

auto-adjust of inventory (turn this off when adding your inventory to the app when you first download it - prevents your already loaded ammo from messing up your component inventory. Once all ammo is entered, turn it on to keep your inventory correct as you use it)

return brass to inventory prompt

auto-increment times fired (don't care how many times your brass has been fired? Turn this off so you don't have to keep clicking "no" every time you return brass to inventory)
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Post by exx1976 »

v2.3 has been released, and contains additional preferences to further customize the app to your needs.

It also includes a shopping list! Define Low Warning thresholds for each component, and when your inventory of that component falls below the level you specify, it is automatically added to your shopping list.

Enjoy!
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading Inventory app for Android users just released - added a free version!!

Post by exx1976 »

Added a free version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ntory.free

Limited to 2 bullets, 2 brass, 2 powders, 2 primers, and 2 ammo/loads, it is otherwise 100% full-feature. Check it out risk-free! https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ntory.free
exx1976
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading Inventory app for Android users just released - added a free version!!

Post by exx1976 »

v2.4 was just released.

New features include a "Load" button on the Ammo context menu to make it easier to increase your inventory after you finish reloading, and, all-new for this version: Rimfire ammo! Easily store & sort your inventory of Rimfire ammo!

Hope you guys enjoy the app, and let me know if you have any feedback!

Future features on the roadmap include:

Shotgun ammo/load data/components
Adding cost
Cloud sync so you can use it on both your phone and a tablet
Barcode scanner

As always, if you buy the full version of the app, all future feature upgrades are free!

Also, look for a pay-as-you-go version of the app in the near future. The base app would include a limited set of features, with the ability to purchase individual features that appeal to you. Don't need Rimfire or Shotgun? Don't pay for them. Don't want a barcode scanner? Don't pay for it. :)