Rainier Ballistics bullets released

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cbroome11

Re: Rainier Ballistics bullets released

Post by cbroome11 »

Update.. Contacted Ranier on monday, they gave me a guys email address who was apparently part of the R&D on the bullets and said he would help me get them running but that he is backlogged a few days helping other people.. i'll let y'all know if i ever hear from anybody.
hasdrubal

Post by hasdrubal »

Your post may have saved me a lot of trouble- Rainier Ballistics is local to me and I'm picking up a bulk order in a few days. There were going to be 5k of the HP included, but cutting that way down now.
JimmyT
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyT »

Are these bullets DOA?
hasdrubal

Post by hasdrubal »

I wouldn't say that with only one person posting their experience so far. I'm getting 1k on Monday but probably won't have them loaded up for a few days, maybe get to shoot them a week after.
JimmyT
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyT »

Patiently standing by for results
cbroome11

Post by cbroome11 »

http://www.gunsandtech.com/ballistics/r ... lk-bullet/

never heard back from rainier.. but see above.. guns and tech tested both version with good results. Must just be me. I'm really lost on this one now haha.
cbroome11

Post by cbroome11 »

Read the article too fast the first time. After reading again i caught where they slipped in that "your feed ramps may require slight smoothing" for proper function...aka dremel time.... ugh how does a company spend TWO YEARS developing a bullet as specific as this one, and puts out something that we may have to take a dremel to our uppers to get reliability? Never had to break out the dremel for my 208 A-Max loads..... :roll:
Am i blowing this out of proportion or no? Maybe it's just because i've never had to "modify" my feed ramps.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

cbroome11 wrote:Read the article too fast the first time. After reading again i caught where they slipped in that "your feed ramps may require slight smoothing" for proper function...aka dremel time.... ugh how does a company spend TWO YEARS developing a bullet as specific as this one, and puts out something that we may have to take a dremel to our uppers to get reliability? Never had to break out the dremel for my 208 A-Max loads..... :roll:
Am i blowing this out of proportion or no? Maybe it's just because i've never had to "modify" my feed ramps.
I have to completely agree. After a half dozen AR's and a couple of bolt guns I've never had an issue where the ramps had to be smoothed to feed.
hasdrubal

Post by hasdrubal »

I hope to have a range report soon to share, but two points so far-

First, the cavity on these is very shallow. I would be shocked if there were significant expansion, there just doesn't seem like enough material to mushroom without simply fragmenting off and leaving the rear 90% of the bullet intact. Photos in the linked article aren't that impressive to me.

Second, the article mentions “It feeds well if the feed ramps are correct M4 type although they may require slight smoothing if the edges are sharp.” I've never had to polish the ramps on an AR either, but I've had some where if I chambered a round and then ejected it, there were seriously deep gouges in the bullet.

Of course, these were conventional jackets, but it makes me wonder if I were firing cast bullets, how much material would have been shaved off? Has anyone had issues like this with cast loads in the 300?
dohalysh425

Post by dohalysh425 »

Hello all, first post.

I have 250 of the hollow points on backorder from Midway. I will be trying them out in a hardened arms 16" pistol gas length upper, .093 gas port, suppressed with lil' gun powder. I hope they get to me soon, then I will post results.