AAC manufactured 16" AR barrels

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC manufactured 16" AR barrels

Post by A-Game »

The barrel is thick enough to make a descent shoulder so I'm going to chop, crown, thread it. I just don't know what length I want to do yet. It measures 0.715 in front of the gas block. I forgot mine when I went to the shop yesterday to measure the gas port. I have the machined pins so I can confirm your drill bit measurement.
Edit: the rear of the barrel measures from as a taper and isn't as thick as an AAC 9" barrel.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

0.81 is the correct size. It was very very tight on the pin when I checked it this afternoon, there is no drill bit to drill 0.80 and 2.5mm makes a 0.82 hole.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

A-Game wrote:I wish my carbine gas 16" barrel had a gas port of 0.82, if it did I could open it up a tenth or so. Instead it is too large and I am contemplating selling the barrel or just tacking the hole and drill the size I want. I might do that anyway :mrgreen:

Actually, I think I'll do that Friday morning before the range session and see if it will cycle the two types of subs I have and lock back the bolt.
The gas post size of the AAC 16 inch carbine gas barrel is not too large. In fact you need to use a C buffer with it as it is.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Netpackrat wrote:I'll be pleased if mine turns out to have pistol gas with an .082" port like yours, so I can open it up until I get the function I want. My current 10" SBR has an .098" port.
It is already the correct size. Don't open it - you will just ruin the barrel. The reason your 10 inch has a 0.098 port is because it is a 10 inch barrel. A 16 inch barrel needs a smaller size because it has more dwell time.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

300Blk wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:I'll be pleased if mine turns out to have pistol gas with an .082" port like yours, so I can open it up until I get the function I want. My current 10" SBR has an .098" port.
It is already the correct size. Don't open it - you will just ruin the barrel. The reason your 10 inch has a 0.098 port is because it is a 10 inch barrel. A 16 inch barrel needs a smaller size because it has more dwell time.
I agree. I will only open it up if I have the barrel shortened, and it won't function with the smaller port. Not sure what I am going to do with it at this point.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Dredging this thread back up because I am probably going to do something with this barrel soon. Decided against chopping it, and will be building a 16" gun; just wondering what buffer weight I should try first?
Chedr
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chedr »

I bought 2 of these a while back and am running both at the full 16".

One of them arrived with pistol gas and one has carbine length gas.

I used the heavy buffer for pistol gas standard buffer for carbine gas theory and both function great with subs or supers.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks for the reply. Been busy and have not been on the forum in a while.