new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SEABEE

new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets

Post by SEABEE »

Has anyone tried the new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets yet? I have ordered 3 boxes and am going to work up loads using LilGun and 110. I love the 110 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets but found the Nosler 125 gr green tips dropped hogs better here in Florida. If anyone else has tried these please let me know as I am hoping these new bullets out perform the green tips.
WE BUILD - WE FIGHT - CAN DO
Dinny

Re: new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets

Post by Dinny »

I had multiple FTFs with the 120gr VOR-TX load from Barnes. The brass is a different headstamp than their older 110gr load and the primers are crimped in. I tried firing the FTFs from a bolt action, AR, and H&R. All no fire.

Thanks, Dinny
Medics Save!
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

SEABEE wrote:Has anyone tried the new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets yet? I have ordered 3 boxes and am going to work up loads using LilGun and 110. I love the 110 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets but found the Nosler 125 gr green tips dropped hogs better here in Florida. If anyone else has tried these please let me know as I am hoping these new bullets out perform the green tips.
Have not tried the Barnes 120g yet but I have a question for you. Why would you want to use such an expensive bullet on a pig? Midwayusa has Nosler 125 and Hornady 125 SST on sale right now, both of which are field proven and 1/2 the cost of the Barnes. Shootersproshop regularly has Nosler blems (cosmetics) really cheap.

I guess I am just a CRB. :mrgreen:
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

smustian wrote:
SEABEE wrote:Has anyone tried the new Barnes 120 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets yet? I have ordered 3 boxes and am going to work up loads using LilGun and 110. I love the 110 gr M/LE TAC-TX bullets but found the Nosler 125 gr green tips dropped hogs better here in Florida. If anyone else has tried these please let me know as I am hoping these new bullets out perform the green tips.
Have not tried the Barnes 120g yet but I have a question for you. Why would you want to use such an expensive bullet on a pig? Midwayusa has Nosler 125 and Hornady 125 SST on sale right now, both of which are field proven and 1/2 the cost of the Barnes. Shootersproshop regularly has Nosler blems (cosmetics) really cheap.

I guess I am just a CRB. :mrgreen:
In my part of Florida, the hogs seem to be a bit bigger (maybe it's all the peanuts they eat). Average size of hog taken in 2014 was 175.7 lb; average for 2015 was 149.2 lb. While my night hunting group (3 of us) don't have any of the 120gr Barnes, we now use the 110g Barnes blacktip (stocked up when Midway had them on sale), having found that they give 2-3 inches more penetration on boars than the 125gr Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips. On sows it doesn't seem to matter, as all bullets have zipped through on broadside hits. That's why we use the more expensive Barnes bullets.

Oh, on deer, while I now use the Barnes due to my rifles being sighted in with them, Nolsers and Barnes both zip through deer, killing the deer equally well with the same accuracy.

PS I too stocked up on the Nosler 2nds when on sale. I could detect no difference in accuracy between 1sts and 2nds with my shooting ability.
SEABEE

Post by SEABEE »

Perhaps I wasn't clear what advise I was looking for, I apologize. I want to reload the 120 gr Barnes bullets and was also looking to see if anyone had worked up any loads on them already. As far as the cartridges go ... I haven't tried them. I have the Leupold 1.5 - 4 power variable scope that is sighted in for 125 grain Nosler green tips and the Hornady 208 gr subsonic with my can. The 110 grain Barnes are great but I have to re-zero when I shoot them which throws off my suppressed subsonic POI. As far as hogs in Florida go I have hunted in Polk County & Hardee County and am in the process of moving to Nassau County on the Florida Georgia line.
WE BUILD - WE FIGHT - CAN DO
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Sorry SEABEE, I was going to give you a hard time and tell you to post this in the Handloading section, but I went and looked, and there have been no threads down there for this bullet yet... Looks like you'll have to start the load development on this one...

You were looking for actual experience, so I'm sure you already saw the Barnes load sheet for it:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2016 ... ForWeb.pdf

I ran some numbers on it, and this is a good bullet. At short range (<150 yards) the 110gr will have greater energy, while at long range (>300 yards) this 120gr will be superior. They both have an expansion envelope which allows expansion out to 350 yards. The both have very similar expansion and penetration. Myself, I'll buy whichever is cheaper at the moment, the 110 or the 120. Just don't see much difference between them in energy or terminal ballistics.
Gdmcdream17

Post by Gdmcdream17 »

From Chase at Barnes:

“We still need to get the load data produced and added to the 300 BO and the 120 gr TAC-TX. For loading the 120 gr TAC-TX with Lil Gun I personally would start at 15.9 grs and work up. Max may be around 16.8 grs.”

I went 16.8 grs at 2.25.”
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

they've got h110 data posted on their website

https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-conten ... ForWeb.pdf
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
WesCummimgs

Post by WesCummimgs »

Shot some yesterday in 16” PSA 1x8 suppressed. 17.2 grns W296 produced 1moa groups @ 100yds in pouring rain.(thus no chrono data) The 110’s are tighter in my guns so far as targets are concerned.