Rainier 300BLK plated bullets

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Rainier 300BLK plated bullets

Post by rjacobs »

I went by the Rainier booth at SHOT and chatted with them about their new 180g 300BLK bullets that they designed along with Alexander Arms. One is a "FMJ" for lack of a better term(or I cant remember exactly what they called it) and the other is a hollow point, although I dont think its an expanding hollow point, but probably more an accuracy hollow point. They didnt know a lot about them. Alexander arms is selling both the bullets in loaded ammo and has an exclusive contract for a period of time(I was told the time, but wont repeat it). I am going to be getting in contact with Rainier this next week about doing a large buy at the earliest opportunity. They wouldnt commit on a price at SHOT, but when I asked "sub 20c" they kind of said "yea somewhere like that".

I will keep this thread updated with info.

IF these bullets run I think they will be the new "cheap" option for subsonics since the 208g AMAX went away and a lot of people wont run the coated lead projectiles through their suppressors.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rainier 300BLK plated bullets

Post by dellet »

Those popped up on his website recently. One is listed a target or range load, the other as a hunting load. Two bullets, four loads. Both have a version for barrels shorter or longer than 16". Very nice to see someone who understands the market he is selling in.

Basically loaded ammo $20 a box.
[http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/300_AA ... ition.html
300 AAC Blackout 180g HP SBR Subsonic
This product is an exciting new addition to our ammunition line-up! 300 AAC Blackout 180g HP subsonic ammunition for short-barreled rifles (shorter than 16 inch barrels) only featuring an Alexander Arms® custom-designed projectile. Affordable medium game hunting. Nominal muzzle velocity: 1,012 FPS. Box of 20. Please see the important product note included in the Additional Info section!
QTY PRICE
1 - 9 $19.00
10 - 29 $18.62
30 - 49 $18.62
50 + $18.62
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Awesome news!
I was just in the middle of trying to did up some info on the new Alexander Arms projectiles.

It looks like the projectiles will be coming in two "flavors".
Solid for training / plinking & Hollow Point for hunting / duty.

One thing to keep in mind, Rainier specializes in plated cast projectiles.
They are not copper jacketed.
This should lend itself well to expansion in subsonic loads.
Going by their price structure on other projectiles, I would estimate their price point being around $.15 per bullet when buying quantities of 500 or more.

As soon as I can get the Terminal Threshold Velocity for the hollow point bullets, I will add them to my "Max Effective Range of Common 300 BLK Projectiles" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

I have to wonder why they didn't make them heavier, unless it is just a material cost thing.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Netpackrat wrote:I have to wonder why they didn't make them heavier, unless it is just a material cost thing.
I was thinking the same thing. Not saying 180's don't work subsonic, they can but can also be a bit finicky
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Not only that, but if they are intended for possible hunting use, with velocity being the limiting factor, you are not going to extract as much energy from your cartridge with a lighter bullet.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

When I call them next week I am going to try to get like 100 of each for testing. If I get some if somebody has some way to shoot them into ballistics gel I will send a couple. Otherwise I can shoot them into milk jugs filled with water.

The hollow point, to me, didnt look like it had any skives so I dont know about expansion. Im used to jacketed stuff though and I am not up to speed on the cast lead stuff and how it expands.

They are a flat base with a fairly long bearing surface. IMO this is how they are able to run them lighter and still get full functionality(so they claim). I would say the bearing surface looked like as much as a 220g SMK to me. This would cause the bullet to have as much drag going down the barrel as a heavier bullet. Im not a ballistics engineer or whatever so my thought process might be totally wrong on why they would run. I do know flat based bullets fly better in the subsonics than boat tails(which can in fact do a 180 in flight and fly backwards).

So overall I am excited about these and once I get some pricing I will setup a buy on them.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Here's an interview that was posted a few months ago with Bill Alexander. He talks at length about the development of these bullets and why he did what he did.

In a nutshell, the goals were to make a bullet that performs as a pistol bullet, using pistol powders. The hollow point version is designed to expand at subsonic velocities. His purpose in design was an economical hunting round from the start. The flat base and length of bullet allow a better selection of powders that will allow for more reliable function even in carbine gassed systems.

The video is about 15 min. long, detailed discussion about the bullet starts at about 4:30
https://www.full30.com/video/f868df001e ... 4102472524
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I remember that video, got some people worked up
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

DoubleJ wrote:I remember that video, got some people worked up
The video at that time was a poorly edited version of this one, and it did not come across well. They cut a 15 min interview in half.

I was actually one who did not think much of the edited version. Later in the thread a link to the full version was posted. It seemed pretty clear it was edited with a purposely very poorly. It didn't make sense that a guy would trash a cartridge while at the same time be designing new bullets and loads for it.