Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncgoober

Re: Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

Post by ncgoober »

Nic56 wrote: I think you would be just as happy with a value line $100 KAK barrel. I bought two of their 11" 5.56 barrels and built an upper using one. I use it suppressed. If I needed another barrel for 5.56 or 300BLK, I will probably buy another KAK barrel if they still have them for sale at that price.
Just to reiterate, my use is primary suppressed subs at distances 100yards and less.
Not terribly demanding.
I do want it reliable enough for a SD use.

I like the KAK's also except for the following issues....

The value line is 8.5" and I can't fathom why they would make it 8.5" when it seems like 9" is the optimal recommended size for reliable operation. I imagine though that everybody is going to say it should work as well as a 9" but at some point you can't keep saying that it will work as good as a 9". Secondly, I have to check with KAK about their relief cut. It kinda looks like it might work.

The $180 9" Mr. Blond seems like the relief cut is fine but it has a 1:8 twist where the YHM at the same price is 1:7 which I think I prefer.
So if its the same price as YHM, I think I would go with the YHM if the YHM relief cut is proper.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

I really don't think the 8.5" length will cause you any issues. I know others run shorter with no problems. The threads and shoulder on my 5.56 KAK value line barrels look very good to me. Of course, threads can always be cut out of alignment to the bore. However, my KAK barrels look nothing like the threads and shoulder on the BA barrels. There is a good flat edge on the shoulder, with a gap between the threads and shoulder.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the 1:8 twist instead of 1:7. I have not really heard of anyone having problems with a 1:8 though, but yeah, I would prefer the 1:7 twist.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

Nic56 wrote:However, my KAK barrels look nothing like the threads and shoulder on the BA barrels. There is a good flat edge on the shoulder, with a gap between the threads and shoulder.
Thanks for that info on the KAK threading. I think I'll give them a ping and confirm that they would be similar on the 300BO variety.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Since I was in the b#&ch and whine column about this barrel from Ballistic Advantage I wanted to give it a thumbs-up report to set the record straight, as far as my experience is concerned. This barrel turned out to be OK. I shipped it to Liberty to have them check it out to see if it would work with my Mystic. I got it back with an OK.

I've put about 60-70 rounds total through it both supers and subs without any issues using my Mystic. I also bought a go and a no-go gauge in 300 BO and checked the rifle as per directed on Brownells. Everything passed. I wanted to put about 100 rounds through this SBR before checking for accuracy.

One thing I've found is that many barrels are made by companies that just make barrels for other folks. This may be the case here. At any rate, I'm happy the way my SBR with 9" barrel turned out. The length of time to build this, my first SBR build took a long time but it is now done and the fun now begins :P

Once I get a list of parts used and a picture, I'll post the specifics.
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

Hmmmm.....I don't know if I bailed too early. I haven't been able to really find a good cheap 9" 1:7 melonite substitute with thread relief.
I've become too occupied in buying other higher priority items that will become extinct when Hildebeast comes to power and we lose Congress (Thanks Trump!)
kylekae

Post by kylekae »

Lets see if i can bring this thread back to life. So after reading this I have a few questions. From what I have gathered BA 9 300blk barrel has the correct length, twist rate, and gas port size (0.995) to run all 4 modes W/O a adjustable gass block. only issue may be the the thread relief for a suppressor. KAK now makes a 9" barrel with 1:7 twist rate and has the correct thread relief for a suppressor. The issue with the KAK is their gas port is 0.125 which is large. It will operate in all 4 modes but my concern is that it will over gassed and be unpleasant to shoot running supers suppressed. The option to solve this would be to purchase a adjustable gas block and reduce the size of the gas port but thats another $90 spent. are there any updates on BA thread relief with a suppressor. the BA barrel would be ideal as the gas port is smaller, but there is no reason to purchase it if i have to shim the flash hider to get it to work with a suppressor. The suppressor is a silencer co omega that will be released in a few weeks. .
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

kylekae wrote:Lets see if i can bring this thread back to life. So after reading this I have a few questions. From what I have gathered BA 9 300blk barrel has the correct length, twist rate, and gas port size (0.995) to run all 4 modes W/O a adjustable gass block. only issue may be the the thread relief for a suppressor. KAK now makes a 9" barrel with 1:7 twist rate and has the correct thread relief for a suppressor. The issue with the KAK is their gas port is 0.125 which is large. It will operate in all 4 modes but my concern is that it will over gassed and be unpleasant to shoot running supers suppressed. The option to solve this would be to purchase a adjustable gas block and reduce the size of the gas port but thats another $90 spent. are there any updates on BA thread relief with a suppressor. the BA barrel would be ideal as the gas port is smaller, but there is no reason to purchase it if i have to shim the flash hider to get it to work with a suppressor. The suppressor is a silencer co omega that will be released in a few weeks. .
How much do you plan on shooting supers with it? I hardly ever shoot supers much from my 10" barrel. You can tune it somewhat using a Extra Power Spring and heavier buffer, although I don't know how much doing so would overcome a heavily overgassed barrel. I have been running Wolff Extra Power Springs on some of my rifles. There may even be some stiffer springs out there. But, in the end, you might be better off using an adjustable gas block.

I would rather deal with the gas port issue than possible issues with the muzzle threads if I was running a can. Of course, you can always looks at other brands out there.

kylekae

Post by kylekae »

I was planning running about 50/50 between subs and supers suppressed, I dont really plan shooting much unsuppressed but a properly set up 300 blk should run all 4 wo changing buffers or adjusting gas blocks from what I collect, so that is what I's trying to achieve first time around. I have read that the AAC 9' barrel had a gas port of .10 and .125, so I'm unsure which it is, and they would not disclose that information. But i know the ACC barrel runs in all 4 modes without being over-gassed.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

kylekae wrote:I was planning running about 50/50 between subs and supers suppressed, I dont really plan shooting much unsuppressed but a properly set up 300 blk should run all 4 wo changing buffers or adjusting gas blocks from what I collect, so that is what I's trying to achieve first time around. I have read that the AAC 9' barrel had a gas port of .10 and .125, so I'm unsure which it is, and they would not disclose that information. But i know the ACC barrel runs in all 4 modes without being over-gassed.
Looking around, I see where some are saying the AAC 9" barrel uses a .098" gas port diameter. Like I said, if you are dead set on a KAK barrel, you can start off with an extra power spring and see what buffer will work in all modes, or the modes you only plan to run. That is what I did with my 10.5". Running a stiffer spring and H3 buffer may still have you overgassed somewhat for supers, but if you can reach the threshold of just being able to cycle subsonics, you will be where you need to be. Of course, there is always the adjustable gas block option.

https://www.reddit.com/r/300BLK/comment ... d_cycling/

45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Get a bootleg adjustable bcg or superlative adjustable gas block or both.
Then you can tune it to be perfect.
My 9 inch barrel likes h-2 buffers.