Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncgoober

Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

Post by ncgoober »

I don't know much about 300BO but it seems like people like BA barrels around here so I bought one.

I saw it Sunday evening and got the idea that the deal was a weekend thing so I impulse purchased.
Is there a hidden gotcha with this barrel? Did I screw the pooch?
My main intent is to run subsonic suppressed.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/9-inch-30 ... eries.html
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

Post by BlogSarge »

Looks good to me. Perfect length, 1:7 twist like Robert sez it should be, Melonite / QPQ finish..... I think you're all set.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....ever since my 1st BA barrel back in 2013, I've since used them exclusively in multiple 300BLK, 556 NATO & now .308Win :mrgreen:

...you will be more than happy with it's performance in either sub or super modes 8)
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I don't like the lack of thread relief on the muzzle threads. That's fine when mounting a flash hider, but problematic when mounting a silencer.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I don't like the lack of thread relief on the muzzle threads. That's fine when mounting a flash hider, but problematic when mounting a silencer.

I think I'm with you on what thread relief is (the short section where the barrel is turned down in diameter behind the threads and in front of the face of the full-diameter barrel), but am not sure what its effect is on silencer mounting. Does it make concentricity harder to achieve with direct thread suppressors?
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

My 10" Aero upper with BA barrel required a couple of .030" timing shims to get proper alignment with my SDN-6. Part of that appears to have been an incompatibility between the muzzle threads and AAC's 51T mounts... The barrel threads were either too long, or the mounts were internally too short (I tried several before I discovered what was causing the issue), because it was bottoming on the muzzle face instead of the shoulder. Once I realized what was happening, I installed two of the .030" shims from AAC's timing kits, and that solved the concentricity problem. It was not immediately obvious what was causing the problem, because AAC's "derp" socket flash hiders obscure the interface between the muzzle device and the shoulder.
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

Well the responses started off good.....

I'm definitely intending on using a suppressor (Mystic) and I'll be perturbed if the threading is an issue.
I have to admit that the picture shows a rather undefined face at the shoulder.
The Mystic has a rather deep first stage blast chamber AFAIK and I shouldn't have a bottoming out issue.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

ncgoober wrote:Well the responses started off good.....

I'm definitely intending on using a suppressor (Mystic) and I'll be perturbed if the threading is an issue.
I have to admit that the picture shows a rather undefined face at the shoulder.
The Mystic has a rather deep first stage blast chamber AFAIK and I shouldn't have a bottoming out issue.
How did this work out?

I just received this same barrel & waiting on the handguard. I also have a Mystic?
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

hardcase wrote: How did this work out?

I just received this same barrel & waiting on the handguard. I also have a Mystic?
I'm just now getting around to buying the other parts for my first ever AR15 build.
Realistically due to my newbie skills, it will be many weeks before I get something built.

I just have the 1/2x28 adapter for my Mystic.
Do you have the 5/8x24 Mystic adapter and if so how do you think it tightened up to the shoulder of the BA barrel?
To me, my first impression of the barrel shoulder is that I don't like how "uncrisp" it is.
My other threaded barrels seem to terminate the thread in the last 0.1" before it meets the shoulder and then a relief cut so that the shoulder is very defined and sharp.

Heck, I need to get a 5/8" adapter yet for my Mystic also...there's another $85 or so.

Most importantly, I assume you are planning to run subsonic suppressed so what buffer weight are you planning to use?

My build is looking like...

Purchased:
Aero upper/lower
BA 9.0" (duh)
Existing milspec tube
Rogers super stock

yet to buy:
joeBob LPK (no trigger parts)
ALG ACT trigger
JoeBob castle nut
buffer???
Alpha 7" rail
bcg (TBD)
JoeBob adjustable low pro gas block
seekins melonite pistol tube
Gas vent forward assist (to reduce blowback)
BCM gunfigher mod4 charging handle with RTV silicon mod to reduce blowback
JoeBob milspec barrel nut

Destined for Burnt bronze cerakote/equiv

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

ncgoober wrote:
hardcase wrote: How did this work out?

I'm just now getting around to buying the other parts for my first ever AR15 build.
Realistically due to my newbie skills, it will be many weeks before I get something built.

I just have the 1/2x28 adapter for my Mystic.
Do you have the 5/8x24 Mystic adapter and if so how do you think it tightened up to the shoulder of the BA barrel?
To me, my first impression of the barrel shoulder is that I don't like how "uncrisp" it is.
My other threaded barrels seem to terminate the thread in the last 0.1" before it meets the shoulder and then a relief cut so that the shoulder is very defined and sharp.

Heck, I need to get a 5/8" adapter yet for my Mystic also...there's another $85 or so.

Most importantly, I assume you are planning to run subsonic suppressed so what buffer weight are you planning to use?

My build is looking like...

Purchased:
Aero upper/lower
BA 9.0" (duh)
Existing milspec tube
Rogers super stock

yet to buy:
joeBob LPK (no trigger parts)
ALG ACT trigger
JoeBob castle nut
buffer???
Alpha 7" rail
bcg (TBD)
JoeBob adjustable low pro gas block
seekins melonite pistol tube
Gas vent forward assist (to reduce blowback)
BCM gunfigher mod4 charging handle with RTV silicon mod to reduce blowback
JoeBob milspec barrel nut

Destined for Burnt bronze cerakote/equiv

I got my barrel and my Mystic out to install them. There is an obvious roll in the barrel where the torque shoulder of the Mystic meets the barrel. My Mystic would not thread all the way down, lacking maybe .002". I can see an obvious air gap with it hand tight at the torque shoulder. I would call it a defective barrel. A gun shop with a lathe might be able to fix it but I'm going to try and return this barrel, swapping it for another.

I'm afraid to shoot this with a can on this barrel repetitively.

I called BA today about swapping it out for a better quality barrel but have not heard back from them.

I sent them pictures.

Update:

Since I had this can out messing with it, I decided to take it apart to clean it. The fixed adapter has not been off since last summer. I got the band around the tube to turn about 1/4 turn before I couldn't turn it anymore. I'm going to send it back to Liberty rather than take the chance of messing it up. I'll send this barrel with it. If Liberty gives it a thumbs up, I'll keep it and let you know.