Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncgoober

Re: Ballistic Advantage 300BO 9" barrel $101 shipped

Post by ncgoober »

hardcase wrote: I got my barrel and my Mystic out to install them. There is an obvious roll in the barrel where the torque shoulder of the Mystic meets the barrel. My Mystic would not thread all the way down, lacking maybe .002". I can see an obvious air gap with it hand tight at the torque shoulder. I would call it a defective barrel. A gun shop with a lathe might be able to fix it but I'm going to try and return this barrel, swapping it for another.

I'm afraid to shoot this with a can on this barrel repetitively.
I have three other guns that have a right angle shoulder and face that are perfectly flat and sharp.
Really, what possible reason could there be not to have a sharp/flat shoulder?
Even if it can be remedied with a shim, that still is a PITA since its just another part to lose.
I thought this barrel maker was an upper tier company?
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I posted the third reply on this thread. I mentioned then that I didn't like the lack of thread relief and shoulder shown in their picture.

Some manufactures just do it that way. If you are mounting a flash suppressor or muzzle brake it's fine. But if you are mounting a silencer, it is very problematic.

Here's the picture I was referring to that is on their web site.

Here are the threads I cut after cutting my SBR barrel down to 7.5 inches. Notice the thread relief and sharp shoulder.

ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I posted the third reply on this thread. I mentioned then that I didn't like the lack of thread relief and shoulder shown in their picture.

Some manufactures just do it that way. If you are mounting a flash suppressor or muzzle brake it's fine. But if you are mounting a silencer, it is very problematic.
NCgoober wrote: Is there a hidden gotcha with this barrel? Did I screw the pooch?
Well it looks like I indeed screwed the pooch.
My first ever build is off to a roaring start.

Off to request a free ship back label for what I consider a defective barrel.
My bad for not spotting the picture and their bad for not giving the warning that their 9" barrel isn't suitable for a suppressor. Amazing.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

ncgoober wrote: Well it looks like I indeed screwed the pooch.
My first ever build is off to a roaring start.

Off to request a free ship back label for what I consider a defective barrel.
My bad for not spotting the picture and their bad for not giving the warning that their 9" barrel isn't suitable for a suppressor. Amazing.
You might get it to work. Lots of manufactures do the barrel threads like that. If you are direct threading you may try some sort of bushing. For a QA/QD mount several shims may do the trick.
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

L1A1Rocker wrote: You might get it to work. Lots of manufactures do the barrel threads like that. If you are direct threading you may try some sort of bushing. For a QA/QD mount several shims may do the trick.
Ain't no way that I'm going to put my $800 can against that rolling edge.
If I add a shim than the shim is against the roll which is the same difference to me.

I looked at their super premium hanson barrels and I dont like look of that shoulder either.

Ballistic advantage premium Hanson

KAK barrel

Kak value line $100
Last edited by ncgoober on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
elCapitan
Silent Operator

Post by elCapitan »

Is there any good way to verify that the shoulder is at least perpendicular to the barrel from rim-to-rim? Not the profile of the shoulder, that you described as rounded, but the entire circumference of the shoulder?

I've got the same issue with a Radical Firearms 8.5" complete upper in 300 BLK. Mine doesn't appear as rounded--maybe slightly--but definitely a tiny shoulder, with the barrel width stepping down a time or two before the threads, like yours. My thinking is that if the shoulder is at least perpendicular rim-to-rim, maybe you could first install a very short nut, and tighten it down to the shoulder. Then the other face of the nut would provide a larger, nice, flat surface for the shims. But again, that only works if 1) the shoulder is a perpendicular face to tighten the nut to, and 2) the two faces of the nut are exactly parallel.
ncgoober

Post by ncgoober »

elCapitan wrote: My thinking is that if the shoulder is at least perpendicular rim-to-rim, maybe you could first install a very short nut, and tighten it down to the shoulder. Then the other face of the nut .........
I understand exactly what you're saying and it might work, but I don't need the hassle of finding such parts and now you're stacking tolerances of the nut faces and such.

At this point I would rather just get the KAK value line at the same price and have a perfect mate from the start.
Yeah the operational spec may not be as good but my primary application is <100 yards anyway.
If I want better than the value line I can go with a Mr. Blond.

I'm going to send the BA back.
If somebody wants to buy my ballistic advantage (currently priced $160) barrel for $115(shipped) send me a PM.

KAK value line
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

The sales rep at BA suggested sending the barrel back to them, on my dime of course. I sent it back to them yesterday. We will see how they respond. If they send it back to me, I'll take it to a gun smith in my neighborhood and have him turn down the shoulder to make it fit properly. I probably should have done this instead of sending it back.

Just as a side not, when I tried putting my Mystic on the barrel and gave it the look through at the sky test for concentricity, the barrel was not concentric with the can. It was not off by much but had a detectable oval shaddow.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

This is a follow-up on my dealings with Ballistic Advantage. I sent the barrel back to them and they returned it to me untouched. They are blaming Liberty for a poorly designed suppressor.
elCapitan
Silent Operator

Post by elCapitan »

Well, that stinks. No easy way for you to counter the argument, but still... seems like a cop out, doesn't it?

Like I said, I was in the same boat with a Radical Firearms upper, but not sure if you followed my thread on it (viewtopic.php?f=136&t=97205)

Short version: That's just how RF does it, too, although they were a bit better on the customer service side than BA seems to have been for you. But before I went to the hassle of sending it back, I got myself a barrel guide rod from CNC Warrior for $15 (https://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetai ... Code=26224), and checked the alignment of the can. Despite the small shoulder, it was pretty much perfectly concentric, so I'm just going to keep mine as is, and keep checking for concentricity every now and then, through the first few hundred rounds.

Not to say I'd blame you if you just wanted to get a different barrel with a nice broad shoulder, but in my mind, no matter the shoulder size, mounting method, whatever... a $15 rod is a pretty inexpensive insurance policy against baffle strikes. I can't claim to have much experience with silencers at all, but it seems like a logical "best practice" to adopt. I sure don't regret it.