Are You Interested In a New Bullet

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

My ideal weight in for a Supersonic loaded Maximum Expansion Bullet by Lehigh Defense?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 pm

150 grain weight
66%
155 grain weight
10%
160 grain weight
2%
165 grain weight
17%
170 grain weight
5%

Total votes: 58

MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are You Interested In a New Bullet

Post by MMA10mm »

jryock wrote:Couldn't you use the shape of a heavy bullet and use non-lead materials to make it lighter? Projectile manufacture is something I know very little about.
Once in awhile it's good to think outside the box.

Most hunting calibers are "high velocity," meaning, the muzzle velocity for most are at or well above 2500fps. The range is probably 2500-3500 fps with 2700-3000 being typical. Bullet manufacturers have always oriented ideal performance towards striking velocities around 2400-3200 fps.

So, these bullets work horrible at the slower velocities of the 300Blk. That's why the early recommendations were to use varmint bullets or lightweight bullets (often one and the same in .308" caliber) if you want expansion in the 300Blk.

Personally, I think bullets designed for calibers such as the 30 Herrett, 30-30, 7.62x39 and similar rounds are a better choice, but they are hard to find or have diameters or nose shapes which are just not quite right for the 300Blk. (This is where I was coming from with the 130-135gr bullet I described above.) A side benefit to these is they are inexpensive, because they are simple, "old-technology" to make -- a lead core in a copper alloy jacket.

Now, going towards the new technology, an idea I've been playing with is a super-thick jacket with hollow core which goes about half way down the bullet. Jacket walls would be about .115" thick, leaving a gaping .078" cavity. Walls would taper thinner towards the nose and "crimp" onto a hard plastic tip which would be shaped to initiate expansion on impact. This is a starting point -- the dimensions would have to be tested and modified to find the point where reliable expansion is obtained at 300Blk terminal velocities, but this should expand better (sooner) than the Tac-X. The big downfall in my eyes, is this will be too expensive (about the same as the Tac-X, so why bother? I'd rather have the cheaper cup and core bullet...
Mako181
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mako181 »

MMA10mm wrote:The lead bugaboo thing has been so far outdone, it is crazy. Even logical sensible people have decided its so poisonous they won't eat meat that has been shot with lead...

The truth is, lead is bad when it is absorbed over time. The arctic explorers and french army who first used canned foods suffered greatly from lead poisoning, because the lead solder used to seal the cans leached lead into the food over months. Lead needs to be microscopic to be dangerous as a poison. Leaded gasoline -- not very healthy... Lead added to wine (Romans used lead as a flavoring) -- Also not such a good idea. Bite on a piece of lead shot in the pheasant you're eating? Not really a big deal. Spit it out, and you'll be fine. Even if you swallow it, it will probably come out in a day or so... Unless you are using bullets with powdered lead cores so as to be explosively expansive (and hence they spray tiny bits of lead throughout the wound), a lead bullet offers zero health risk. If it is that worrisome to you not to want to risk it, don't eat any meat within 1/4" of the bullet path...

If you shoot an animal with a pure lead bullet (say a round ball out of a muzzle loader), you'll find that the big clumps of lead rarely shed any of their weight, even after expanding. Lead is malleable, the opposite of brittle. It tends to stick together on a molecular level, rather than break apart.
Thank you for putting what I wanted to say into perspective. You did a much better job of explaining the dangers of lead. It needs to be microscopic in order to be absorbed. That is the reason that old indoor with poor ventilation cause a rise in lead levels in people, it is not from the firing of lead bullets per say but from the lead styphanate used in the manufacture of primers and in some cases the slight melting of the bases of swagged or cast lead bullets. I still have numerous particles of lead in my body from several gunshot wounds from many years ago but the body forms a crust around the particles that do not allow it to be absorbed. I have had several work their way out like a pimple and they pop out. Most have been from a shotgun blast of #6 shot I got while pheasant hunting in 1969 in my back.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

"Mosthave been from a shotgun blast of #6 shot I got while pheasant hunting in 1969 in my back"

Been hunting with Dick Cheney have ya?
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

I also vote for the 120-130 gr. bullets. And while your at it some cheap 200-220 gr subs.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I'm interested in a 100 gr. blk tip.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

randyrucker wrote:I'm interested in a 100 gr. blk tip.
Elaborate, please.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You mean a Barnes black tip? 100 grain would be too short unless the construction was changed to lower-mass materials. The 120 grain is like the 100 grain but more bearing surface and it would not be practical to go in the other direction.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I think the 110 gr blk tip has a lot of penetration, possible even over penetration. It's a great bullet. I think the 100 grain would be a perfect combination of extra MV and optimum penetration for hunting. It seems like if you stretched the 100 gr to the same length as the 110 gr you would get ample bearing surface. Lapua's 100 grain bullet got good reviews from folks who bought it at Midway. Maybe Barnes should model a 100 grain blk tip after it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/963322 ... box-of-100
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yes, I would like a 100 grain also. I just don't know how to do it with that bullet.

How would you make the 110 grain lighter without making it shorter?

The 120 grain came out because there are those who wanted more penetration for hunting.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

A 100 gr brass stiletto bullet would be evil looking.......
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!