Are You Interested In a New Bullet

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

My ideal weight in for a Supersonic loaded Maximum Expansion Bullet by Lehigh Defense?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 pm

150 grain weight
66%
155 grain weight
10%
160 grain weight
2%
165 grain weight
17%
170 grain weight
5%

Total votes: 58

Mako181
Senior Silent Operator

Are You Interested In a New Bullet

Post by Mako181 »

:!: :!: I am searching for a reliable expanding bullet in the 150 - 165 grain range that would expand to @ .75" possibly a bit more. I would like to have a muzzle velocity in the 1700 - 1800 fps range with a pointed bullet profile that will provide reliable feeding in the AR platform. :!: :!:

I posed this to Bryan at Lehigh Defense and was informed that it may be possible if there were enough people interested in the bullet.

The current ME line of bullets are designed for subsonic use and will open in flight at 2000 fps. The design could possibly be worked with to design a bullet that would be a boone to those of us who use the 300 Blackout on thin skinned game such as whitetails. My personal ideas are one in the 150 - 165 grain weight range and pre-scored/cut to allow expansion to .75" possibly a bit more and have a pointed profile for positive feeding and good flight characteristics.

This poll is to get some ideas as to all of your ideas toward a specific weight. I'm sure that it will not be an inexpensive bullet but may fall in the range of the existing ME Bullet range. Additionally it may be possible to have another bullet made to mimic the design that would be for target use that did not expand but was similar in flight.

It may be a boondoggle but I believe it is worth an effort. Thank you for your input!! BK 8)

Re: Are You Interested In a New Bullet

Post by 1018 »

Just cruising the ammo companies for pricing, it seems that the 150 gr is the most prevalent weight projectile with the best prices. Following the logic of that's what I'll be shooting for fun, since it's the most affordable, and hunting with a round that has similar characteristics... ? Hoping that his bullet would have similar velocities.
Mako181
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mako181 »

Along with your vote please comment as there are people watching that are gathering info. I am doing this as I would very much like to have a go to bullet over 125gr that will get deep and cause a lot of damage with a better chance of exiting. Additionally I believe a heavier bullet will carry to 200 yards better than a light bullet. Add your thoughts!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I would say a bullet around 120-130 grain's is as heavy as you would want to go, Personally I would want a flatbase so I can load them even longer for use in my Encore or in a bolt rifle. I would also see if they could make it with a poly tip(or use a poly tip from Cutting Edge Raptors).
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Recoil737 »

Mako181 wrote:Along with your vote please comment as there are people watching that are gathering info. I am doing this as I would very much like to have a go to bullet over 125gr that will get deep and cause a lot of damage with a better chance of exiting. Additionally I believe a heavier bullet will carry to 200 yards better than a light bullet. Add your thoughts!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A couple problems with your belief in heavier is better.

First if you want to shoot out to 200 yards and still get reliable, maximum expansion you are looking at bullets that are way too heavy. To expand you need speed and heavy 150gr bullets just don't provide that for the 300BLK as it can't push them out of your barrel fast enough.

Second even though heavier bullets tend to hold their energy longer you are starting with a much lower velocity than the lighter bullets so carrying the energy is not much of a factor when you don't have the ability to expand. When you have proven bullets such as the 110gr black tips and the 125gr hunting rounds they will provide you with a much better terminal ballistics than the heavier rounds you are looking at.

Third is that I have shoot pigs at around 200 yards with the 110gr black tips and they have expanded to full 1/2 inch size while punching all the way through 150+ pound hogs. If you really want to get a round that will penetrate a lot better than the heavier rounds you are looking at wait for Barnes to come out with their 120gr black tips. That should provide plenty of over penetration for most medium size deer, pigs or home defense.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I voted 150 due to commonality with cheap-ish FMJ bullets. Still, 120-130 would be great.
g22rmr
Silent But Deadly

Post by g22rmr »

Another vote for 120-130gr
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

g22rmr wrote:Another vote for 120-130gr
+1
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

bangbangping wrote:
g22rmr wrote:Another vote for 120-130gr
+1
+1
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

talonxracer wrote:I would say a bullet around 120-130 grain's is as heavy as you would want to go, Personally I would want a flatbase so I can load them even longer for use in my Encore or in a bolt rifle. I would also see if they could make it with a poly tip(or use a poly tip from Cutting Edge Raptors).
+1