The ultimate solution for the Colorado Mag ban

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: The ultimate solution for the Colorado Mag ban

Post by Omega »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Remember, Red Jacket was the premier go to place for all things AK. He was considered by many to be one of the best AK builders in the country. They have since given up on their bread and butter work, AK's, and diversified which I think will come back to haunt them.

The TV show is there for ratings so whatever the producers can do to drum up viewership they will. They create a lot of the drama as well as edit hundreds of hours down to make it seem like there is more going on than really is. How popular would any show be if they showed workers just working.

And above all else it is a show that features guns that is on television. If nothing else it is getting more people to join the gun hobby.

I will say that 99% of the stuff they build for the local PD is questionable at best but still cool. Like last night they built a remote sniper rifle system to "drive back the meth heads". I cannot image any use for that other than to freelance kill people. Or the time they built a MK19 for use by the PD. Again, I cannot imagine a scenario where a FA grenade launcher could be used in a LE role. Matter of fact there is no need for any LE to have a belt fed machine gun and I have seen them build several for their local PD.
No reality tv show is good for its genre, the producers just want drama for ratings and could care less about the way the actors are perceived. They amplify stereotypes to the point of stupidity, and make those with negative views of them believe it even more. The worse thing that could happen to the AR platform is to have it fall into the hands of a reality tv show producer.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Speaking of reality gun shows...there was a show called "Gunsmoke", not the western, but a show about a gun shop here in Denver (Wheat Ridge actually). They were a small shop at first, I remember them having literally one cabinet with about six guns, the kind that nobody wanted. Somehow, they got a reality show, moved into a bigger building, and the guy was doing custom work. He would buy collections too. He would take a personal helicopter into the mountains and purchase these weapons.

One night, someone busted a hole in his roof, and stole a bunch of guns. A week later, the ATF raided the store, and haven't heard of them since. I think he got so far into debt, staged the burglary for insurance money and got caught!!!!
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Couldn't magpul just mark 30rd pmags as 10 round 458 socom and be legal for sale in CO?
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Oh I agree that it is all done to get people to watch, and I understand the producers do a lot of editing. It is just clear that the producers don't have a clue about guns what soever. It brings in viewers, unfortunately it also misinforms them.

Is that on Will and his crew or on the producers? hard to say but trying to explain to a couple of excitable teenagers that Will was not firing a an M203 Grenade launcher into the air, but he was firing a 37mm flare launcher, the same one I have attached to my AR15, or having to explain to the same teenagers that I don't need to order the M1919 conversion kit from Red Jacket, because he did not make it TNW did, plus several other things that were just annoyingly wrong, made me sour on the whole show. The only saving grace was that guy Flem, but I think he quit or something.

I have not paid enough attention to it since the first season to know about the things for the Police, but I am with you on this one. I cannot see a situation where PD would have a need for a Mark19.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

VENT625 wrote:Speaking of reality gun shows...there was a show called "Gunsmoke", not the western, but a show about a gun shop here in Denver (Wheat Ridge actually). They were a small shop at first, I remember them having literally one cabinet with about six guns, the kind that nobody wanted. Somehow, they got a reality show, moved into a bigger building, and the guy was doing custom work. He would buy collections too. He would take a personal helicopter into the mountains and purchase these weapons.

One night, someone busted a hole in his roof, and stole a bunch of guns. A week later, the ATF raided the store, and haven't heard of them since. I think he got so far into debt, staged the burglary for insurance money and got caught!!!!
I just shake my head when watching "Sons of Guns". Those taxpayers should be pissed that their local LEOs are buying that stuff. A "prototype" 308 AR-style rifle mounted on a ATV? Gimme a break... My SIG 716 runs like a champ. Then you have HK, FNH, LWRC, KAC, and PWS that make some really great firearms (with most seeing deployments in the Middle East).
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

So lets see what the show has done.

First, it is made "Red Jacket Firearms" more popular that it was before. I had never heard of them before the show but I am not an AK guy either. What does it being more popular do? That means they are getting more exposure than before and that means they are selling more guns than ever before. And when they are selling more gun it means there are more guns in the hands of citizens. I personally believe the more guns in the wild the better. And if those guns are in the hands of new gun owners that is even better. Heck, Academy Sports sells RJF guns.

Second, the gun show HAS converted people who were either on the fence into people who have even decided to buy guns because Red Jacket is on television and they want to be part of it. I know a lot of their customers these days are new gun owners and those sales can be directly attributed to their show. And it is the new gun owners that are going to be what saves our hobby not those who have always been gun owners.

Exposure, even through a TV show, tends to numb people. Just like in the 80's when it was a big deal for a guy to have ear rings in. Today no one bats an eye because people have become numb to it because they have seen it all the time. And a TV show that exposes people to guns will also numb some people to guns.

The only people who say it is a "stupid" or "dumb" show are those who are die hard gun owners. To them it doesn't matter how dumb the show might get they are still going to be part of the gun hobby. I do not believe the show has driven too many gun owners away from the hobby but it sure has drawn people into it.

And finally, and probably the best thing it does, is it puts a thorn in the side of a lot of those who hate guns. They would much rather see that time slot be filled with a show about granola bars, global warming and fairy farts but it is instead filled with a show about guns.

As much as some say it is bad for gun owners I believe it does just the opposite.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:So lets see what the show has done.

First, it is made "Red Jacket Firearms" more popular that it was before. I had never heard of them before the show but I am not an AK guy either. What does it being more popular do? That means they are getting more exposure than before and that means they are selling more guns than ever before. And when they are selling more gun it means there are more guns in the hands of citizens. I personally believe the more guns in the wild the better. And if those guns are in the hands of new gun owners that is even better. Heck, Academy Sports sells RJF guns.

Second, the gun show HAS converted people who were either on the fence into people who have even decided to buy guns because Red Jacket is on television and they want to be part of it. I know a lot of their customers these days are new gun owners and those sales can be directly attributed to their show. And it is the new gun owners that are going to be what saves our hobby not those who have always been gun owners.

Exposure, even through a TV show, tends to numb people. Just like in the 80's when it was a big deal for a guy to have ear rings in. Today no one bats an eye because people have become numb to it because they have seen it all the time. And a TV show that exposes people to guns will also numb some people to guns.

The only people who say it is a "stupid" or "dumb" show are those who are die hard gun owners. To them it doesn't matter how dumb the show might get they are still going to be part of the gun hobby. I do not believe the show has driven too many gun owners away from the hobby but it sure has drawn people into it.

And finally, and probably the best thing it does, is it puts a thorn in the side of a lot of those who hate guns. They would much rather see that time slot be filled with a show about granola bars, global warming and fairy farts but it is instead filled with a show about guns.

As much as some say it is bad for gun owners I believe it does just the opposite.
Not saying its bad for gun owners. I think a gun customization show is a great idea. But some of the stuff they build, is just ridiculous.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

VENT625 wrote:
Not saying its bad for gun owners. I think a gun customization show is a great idea. But some of the stuff they build, is just ridiculous.
Agree 100%
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

VENT625 wrote:Speaking of reality gun shows...there was a show called "Gunsmoke", not the western, but a show about a gun shop here in Denver (Wheat Ridge actually). They were a small shop at first, I remember them having literally one cabinet with about six guns, the kind that nobody wanted. Somehow, they got a reality show, moved into a bigger building, and the guy was doing custom work. He would buy collections too. He would take a personal helicopter into the mountains and purchase these weapons.

The shows name was "American Guns"

Gun shop was called Gunsmoke.
Last edited by velo555 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Lopez
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'll weigh in- watched season 1 some and tired of it quickly. Drama, drama. Gets old fast. BUT it's not for people like us, it's for people that don't know diddly squat about guns. I agree with Dolomite, the show has brought some gun culture to the forefront and however nauseating the show may be, has merit in that sense.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.