New AP bullet for 300 BLK

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: New AP bullet for 300 BLK

Post by 300Blk »

Since it is not as compressible as lead, they need the grooves to allow the material to flow somewhere as it is forced through the bore.

For AP, the goal should be as little mass as possible, not more.
wjm308

Post by wjm308 »

Great, another round for them to stockpile ;)
Adam21
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Adam21 »

I wonder how fast I could push those out of the snout of my 300 Weatherby mag?
Calphalon cookware
BFGoodrich All Terrains
a pet rabbit
some rocks, an oak tree
and a Red Ryder
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Remington 300 Ultramag would be fun.
10 Ring LLC
Silent Operator

Post by 10 Ring LLC »

I guess it all depends on what the manufacturer wants to sell it as. They might restrict it by purchase agreement to gov / LE only.
10 Ring LLC and White River Armory strive to bring quality AR parts to the end user at a reasonable price.
Check us out at www.whiteriverarmory.com
wjm308

Post by wjm308 »

300Blk wrote:Remington 300 Ultramag would be fun.
I think that would end up being more like a sabot round with the jacket separating right after leaving the barrel at those velocities ;)

Anyone know how I can become a MFR that sells to the government just so I can get some of these rounds ;) Always gets me when perfectly legal parts are sold to Gov/LE only?!?
Nelson_2011

Post by Nelson_2011 »

Does anyone know, are bullets of this particular construction deemed by "the authorities" to be "armor piercing", and therefore not legally available for purchase by the peasantry, or would it be more of a "company policy" issue that would restrict sales to peasants?
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

The ATF definition is the reason listed in the post.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Nelson_2011

Post by Nelson_2011 »

The OP describes the bullet as having "an exposed and hardened steel core surrounded by a brass jacket", so perhaps the issue of "legality" hinges on the exact definition of "core" and "jacket"?

The reason I ask is because, to me, just casually looking at the bullet from the outside, it looks like it has a steel "tip" - similar to a Corbin stainless steel ballistic tip, which AFAIK is "legal", when incorporated into a bullet - and a brass "core". So if it is not illegal to make bullets with a steel "tip", it must be illegal because the remainder of the bullet is brass?
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

It's not a steel tip, it's a steel core. Around which they have put a brass jacket. It's the steel penetrator core that makes it illegal.

*edit* And it actually isn't the core that makes it illegal. It's the fact that it is an armor piercing bullet in a pistol caliber.