New Remington 300 BLK UMC Subsonic ammunition.

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Remington 300 BLK UMC Subsonic ammunition.

Post by ScottB70 »

300Blk wrote:I would call again and maybe you will get someone else.

BTW, there is no way to know if the problem is the rifle or the ammunition. That ammunition may be subsonic in most barrels and in Remington's test barrels. Or maybe it is the ammo. It depends if your rifle fires other brands of subsonic fast too.
Do you know of any charts that Remington has published which might have velocity for this round listed? Maybe even with velocities for different barrel lengths?

The box it comes in might as well be blank except for "300 AAC BLACKOUT 220 GRAIN OTM" in regards to velocity.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Remington loads it to be about 1010 fps from their 16 inch reference barrel.

Subsonic is tricky though as if a rifle has a tight bore or chamber, that raises pressure and velocity. Normally it does not matter, but for subsonic it does.

This is why I put a tight spec on the AAC rifle's bore diameter, and the drawing does not let them be undersized. I have spoken to barrel makers who don't seem aware of the SAAMI minimum bore cross-sectional area spec.

I am not saying it is the gun. I am just saying there is no way to know if it is the gun or the ammunition without checking both.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

As Scott mentioned above, there is no load or velocity data on the box anywhere, other than the 220 gr weight for the bullet.
Remington's web page for the UMC rifle line doesn't work correctly, so there's no way to scroll down enough to see if the 300AAC round shows up there or not.
The guy I spoke with said that they show no 300AAC subsonic loads in their catalog, which of course is silly, since I have the box in my hand.

I hadn't thought about the chamber affecting the pressure and velocity.
That makes sense, since I suspect that this chamber is very tight, but have no way to check it.
I just know that cartridges with a neck diameter close to the SAAMI spec of 0.335" will sometimes not seat fully.
The factory Rem loads I tried are all considerably smaller, around 0.325-0.328".
So far, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed with this gun, but I haven't given up yet.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

I spoke with Kris, Director of Product Affairs for Remington.
He was apologetic for the problems I'm having, and the lack of knowledge of the customer support personnel.
He's sending me a label to return the defective ammo, and will have it replaced.
Now that I'm in contact with the right person, that famous Rem customer service is shining through. :)
I'll update when I get the replacement ammo, but I'm hoping it was just a fluke.
willis

Post by willis »

i bought 2 200 round cases of this ammo, fired one box, all were supersonic, end flap says T28 U\1 green and white box.
one 16 inch carbine has carbine gas port, the other has pistol gas, supersonic from both.
I emailed Remington customer support 3 times over a 2 week period, no answer.
tried to call customer service 3 times, never got a option to talk to a live person.
recording talked so fast I could not understand what she was saying.
then I tried the ammo and production? phone number, tried the best option (I thought) it sent me back to main headquarters.
I pulled the bullets in 4 cartridges, they all had 10.8 grains of powder that looks like the picture in an above post.
the powder was so compressed that I had to dig it out to weigh it.
I loaded up 2 with 10.6 and 2 with 10.4.
the 10.6 and 10.4 shot quieter and locked back on empty mag in the pistol gas 16 inch still loud though.
they were both loud out of the carbine gas 16 inch but functioned perfectly.
since I am unable to get Remington to answer me, should I pull all of the bullets and just keep working down on charge to get them quiet from both rifles?
Willis.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

Huh. Seems like we might be seeing the beginnings of a product recall. Sounds like maybe Rem had a bad batch?
My findings were pretty much identical to willis', in regards to powder charge (I measured 4) and extreme compression of the powder.
willis

Post by willis »

I guess what I am really asking is, should I wait for Remington to maybe answer me or just fix all the bullets I have and not buy any more from them??
there are others out there that ARE subsonic.
Willis.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

willis wrote:I guess what I am really asking is, should I wait for Remington to maybe answer me or just fix all the bullets I have and not buy any more from them??
there are others out there that ARE subsonic.
Willis.
Just my opinion, and I may be wrong, but the way I look at it is the difficulty of finding components is such, that I would fix them.

I once pulled down a thousand rounds of factory Lake City 1944 30-06, so I could switch out to non-corrosive primers. When I did, I found the powder charges varied pretty widely (still along a bell curve though). Now this was all ammo from the same lot number and same ammo can, so it didn't vary because of being different components. I ended up averaging the 100 rounds' charge weight which I bothered weighing and comparing that to the peak of the bell curve, and reloaded the rounds at that charge weight. I wound up with 1.5grs of powder left over. Why is this pertinent? Two reasons:

1) My advice above is based on my perspective that I'm not scared of pulling down and hand-loading factory ammo, and:

2) When you look at the variation in powder charges, it becomes apparent how difficult it is for factories to run production runs of 100,000 rds and ensure that EVERY round is subsonic without being too slow. (Very narrow range of acceptable variation in powder charge.) PLUS, those rounds have to work in hundreds of variations of barrels (different makers and tools being worn vs. new when THAT particular barrel is made, etc.)

I think the fact that factory subsonic exists and works as well as it does is freaking MAGIC! For me, subsonic is totally, 100% a handloading proposition, so I can tune the load to MY gun...
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I will get someone to help you. Please stand by.
willis

Post by willis »

300BLK,
if you was talking to me , thanks,
Willis.