New Remington 300 BLK UMC Subsonic ammunition.

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

willis

Re: New Remington 300 BLK UMC Subsonic ammunition.

Post by willis »

Remington finally emailed back
short and sweet, those are supersonic :shock:
so I will fix them myself :roll:
Willis.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

willis wrote:Remington finally emailed back
short and sweet, those are supersonic :shock:
so I will fix them myself :roll:
Willis.
Which is what I was told, and that's WRONG.
Sounds like you got hold of the same department as me. lol
willis

Post by willis »

I reread the email, they answered back about 115 grain with the same barcode numbers as I have on the 220 grain boxes. :roll:
do not understand what's up with that :!:
Robert asked me to send the email to him, I did, awaiting a response .
Willis.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I went through this headache early this year with the 220gr UMC boxes (L300AAC4). And I was using AAC's own Handi Rifle with a 16" barrel and a silencer.

The UMC ammo was not always subsonic. However the other 220gr in the green/yellow boxes (R300AAC8) were always subsonic; more accurate and consistent too.

The CS folks at Remmy were awesome. They offered a check refund at first, but I got lucky and talked them into replacing my UMC boxes with the R300AAC8 boxes instead.
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

willis wrote:i bought 2 200 round cases of this ammo, fired one box, all were supersonic, end flap says T28 U\1 green and white box.
one 16 inch carbine has carbine gas port, the other has pistol gas, supersonic from both.
I emailed Remington customer support 3 times over a 2 week period, no answer.
tried to call customer service 3 times, never got a option to talk to a live person.
recording talked so fast I could not understand what she was saying.
then I tried the ammo and production? phone number, tried the best option (I thought) it sent me back to main headquarters.
I pulled the bullets in 4 cartridges, they all had 10.8 grains of powder that looks like the picture in an above post.
the powder was so compressed that I had to dig it out to weigh it.
I loaded up 2 with 10.6 and 2 with 10.4.
the 10.6 and 10.4 shot quieter and locked back on empty mag in the pistol gas 16 inch still loud though.
they were both loud out of the carbine gas 16 inch but functioned perfectly.
since I am unable to get Remington to answer me, should I pull all of the bullets and just keep working down on charge to get them quiet from both rifles?
Willis.
I've had the same experience, almost all of them are supersonic even in warm weather. The only mass produced sub that stays sub 100% I've found is the 208 whisper load by Hornady.

I pulled a bunch of the UMC down & worked up my own load for my rifle. I found some very interesting things.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?
Sgt45
Silent Operator

Post by Sgt45 »

I've found that with my pistol they function the action but will not go to bolt hold open. That said, they are very accurate with my can on the indoor range that I've tried them on. We shall see about longer range. The Gorilla sub-sonic also cycles the action and does go to bolt hold open. It has a slightly different point of impact.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Sgt45 wrote:I've found that with my pistol they function the action but will not go to bolt hold open. That said, they are very accurate with my can on the indoor range that I've tried them on. We shall see about longer range. The Gorilla sub-sonic also cycles the action and does go to bolt hold open. It has a slightly different point of impact.
What mags are you using?
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
felixXJ

Post by felixXJ »

Has anyone gel tested this bullet yet? I'd like to try them on hogs. I've used the Hornady 110SP and 125SST to good effect on deer and turkey but wanted something quieter to keep the "hog scatter" down.
felixXJ

Post by felixXJ »

bamabaxter wrote:I apologize in advance if any of this has already been covered in earlier posts. Was too lazy to read the rest just wanted to share my findings.

I am not too pleased with this ammo. I bought a few boxes and the only thing I like about it is the actual projectile. Flat based 220 gr makes for better feeding in the AR platform since the ogive is not as round as the normal 220 gr projectile. My biggest gripe,thhe bullet could be moved by hand .050"! Seriously, I noticed that a few were seated at different depths and upon further inspection, they were not crimped at all. That is fine, I do not crimp unless the bullet has the groove, i.e. Barnes Tac-Tx. These bullets do have cannelures and are not tight at all in the case neck. As I said I could literally move the projectile all around. Makes me wonder how deeply they seated after they were chambered up the feed ramps. None of them went supersonic through my rifle, however they would no hold my bolt open-even with a suppressor (carbine gas before someone asks). The charge was approximately 10.5 grains of some rifle looking powder that is extruded. Anyway, I would not waste my time with this cheap $h!t. Only thing I want is the bullets. Debating pulling the last 40 and just reloading them myself correctly with some 1680.

Does anyone have any insight as to what type of powder this is? A1680 is impossible to get where I am.
BlueRock

Post by BlueRock »

The powder shown in the vial is not A1680. A1680 is a very small spherical or ball type powder. The balls are so small and fine, that I have trouble seeing them with any great detail with my old eyes. The powder in the vial looks like an extruded powder, maybe a canister type powder similar to AA 5744, which is close to A1680, but operates at a higher pressure. Most large manufacturers do not use the same powders which are available to reloaders. I have read that they normally buy canister grade powder in very large quantities and then blend powders to get specific results to minimize lot to lot variances.