Lyman dies

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Lyman dies

Post by 300Blk »

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Lyman dies

Post by 300Blk »

No one knows. They are not even listed on Lyman's web page.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I'll let you know...They are in Lymans 2013 catalog and I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago from a local gun range. Hopefully they'll be in when I visit this weekend.
Wrxkyle

Post by Wrxkyle »

I too bought some of these but this is a first reloading die set so not sure if i'll be much help in a review. Not to mention the lack of primers and powder on the market.
JEVapa

Post by JEVapa »

I got a set of these and so far they work great. They resize well and I made a few hand loads for assessment. As soon as I see how the rounds perform I'll post something.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

20X11 wrote:I'll let you know...They are in Lymans 2013 catalog and I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago from a local gun range. Hopefully they'll be in when I visit this weekend.
Yep...the dies were in and they function beautifully. All measurements on the sized case are in spec...the neck sizing button works MUCH better than the Lee dies. The seating die is FAR more precise than the Lee. And with my range discount, I paid less for them than I did the Lee. I also picked up some RCBS small base dies, their seater is great, but you can feel how much more the sizing die works the brass. I'll probably sell the RCBS sizing die, as the LYMAN is PERFECT. Iam am convinced enough to order LYMAN dies for ALL my calibers.
BobbyG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BobbyG »

Through the years I've bought several sets of Lyman dies and had nothing but success using them.

The one drawback that seems to plague these dies is they tend to rust externally. I wrote them about it recommending an industrial flash chrome which would eliminate this issue completely. Most other die manufactures apparently do this and it eliminates this issue.
Lethal Injections Have Side Affects
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

You could always blue them. If you find a place that does bluing you could probably get them to toss them in their next batch for free, since most of the work bluing stuff is actually the prep.
ballistictools.com/store
Blackout brass, gauges, and more
Gunner220
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunner220 »

You can also buy a carbider expander that just replaces the one in the seating die. Nice not to have to lube necks
Quiettime
Silent Operator

Post by Quiettime »

Bluing does NOT prevent rust. In fact it IS a form of rust.

I bought the Lyman dies and have formed a few hundred cases so far. They work well, but I have noticed they have a tendency to work loose, even with the set screws. Keep an eye on them and you should be good. Much nicer than the Lee rifle dies I have in other calibers.