New 300blk scope from pfi (pride fowler industries)

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

v188
Silent Operator

Post by v188 »

Without rereading this whole thread from several months, does this RR scope fix the issues earlier with all the scope marks being so small as to be unusable while aiming at longer distances?

I keep looking for a good optic for my SBR, without the $1500 price.
priler

Re: New 300blk scope from pfi (pride fowler industries)

Post by priler »

I have read this whole thread and more. i'd like to ask some of you who have this scope a few questions. it would help a lot.

at the lowest magnification (1.25x) do you notice any barreling or any type of distortion at all? ..and if so,how much? some of you may call this "fisheye" when you pan the scope from side to side as you view.

is it actually 1.25x at the low end or is it more like 1.5x?

how would you rate it's ability to resolve out at farther distance,say 500 and 400 yards? do you pick up sufficient detail?

how is the low light (night) performance? do you notice a change in low light performance going to 4x from 1.25x?

at the lowest intensity(1),are any of the three color options low enough to make the illumination useful at night without disrupting your target and/or view?

thanks.

oh yeah,almost forget. HELLO,i'm new here. :lol:
priler

Post by priler »

i'm still hoping someone could answer the previous questions.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

priler wrote:I have read this whole thread and more. i'd like to ask some of you who have this scope a few questions. it would help a lot.

at the lowest magnification (1.25x) do you notice any barreling or any type of distortion at all? ..and if so,how much? some of you may call this "fisheye" when you pan the scope from side to side as you view.

is it actually 1.25x at the low end or is it more like 1.5x?

how would you rate it's ability to resolve out at farther distance,say 500 and 400 yards? do you pick up sufficient detail?

how is the low light (night) performance? do you notice a change in low light performance going to 4x from 1.25x?

at the lowest intensity(1),are any of the three color options low enough to make the illumination useful at night without disrupting your target and/or view?

thanks.

oh yeah,almost forget. HELLO,i'm new here. :lol:
At the lowest magnification I did not notice any barreling or distortion. I thought the glass was good.

I know the scope is not 1x but I can't say if it's closer to 1.25x or 1.5x.

The resolution is not as good as higher quality scopes at longer rangers. In addition, there is no parallax adjustment so stuff would be pretty blurred at 400-500 yards. I believe the parallax plane is factory set at 100 yards and it has pretty good resolution out to 200 yards.

The lowest night setting still had some "halo" effect in the Reticle at 1.25x. At 4x this effect was lessened. I did not think the lighting adjustment was good enough to use at night without some obscuration of the target area.
RickLafayette

Post by RickLafayette »

My only two gripes with this scope is that, on my scope, the illumination doesn't work in the daylight. All I see is the black reticle. In the dark it is extremely bright (?) My other criticism, though small, is that the rear flip up cover has to be pulled off if you rotate the eye piece to change magnification.
priler

Post by priler »

thanks for taking the time to answer.

i'm comparing the PFI rr evolution 1.25-4x24 to the Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR-AK762.

Pride fowler seems to have spent a good portion of production cost on the reticle,glass and FFP. HI-LUX spent it on reticle,glass and turrets. both seem to have slight advantages over the other. i'm leaning towards the PFI. the reticle is faster for COM hits with better wind holds and the two reticles in one aspect seems superior. a Christmas tree with cross hair on top and two outer brackets for fast work on low and better,faster ranging and holds on higher magnification. (I don't care about subsonic).

if it were a Vortex PST 1-4x24 with it's type of reticle,i would say the type of turrets and zero stop that one has would make sense but not on the BDC reticles these have.

I can use 1.25x with both eyes open fine. what I can't stand is barreling and other distortions for both eyes open,especially multiple targets or moving and shooting. the PFI seems to probably have an easier eye box too.

anyway,thanks.

forgot to ask if,...after you've found the perfect/correct mounting distance,does the eye relief change between 4x and 1.25x? in other words,if I have it mounted perfect with an eye relief of 3" at 4x on my rifle/mount set up and I change the magnification to 1.25x,i don't have to move my head at all and 3" eye relief would be perfect still at 1.25x,right? factory specs are 4.4"@1.25x 3"@4x.
priler

Post by priler »

double post
Last edited by priler on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
priler

Post by priler »

triple post