New Ruger American in 7.62x39 uses mini-30 mags!

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RAINS
Silent But Deadly

New Ruger American in 7.62x39 uses mini-30 mags!

Post by RAINS »

Just got wind of this tonight. Threaded barrel and it uses mini-30 mags. I'm going to haft to buy one. No choice I need it. Now the only question is???? How long until a mag fed 300blk comes down the pipe???? And how on earth am I going to choose between them? I wonder what my credit card limit is? Never mind it's a Ruger American. I can just buy both straight out! Good job Ruger!

R

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... 16976.html
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Ruger American in 7.62x39 uses mini-30 mags!

Post by DutchV »

Even if they don't make one, I bet you could swap stocks and use Mini-14 mags with a 300 Blackout action.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Why didn't they manufacture it so the rifle could the ubiquitous AK magazines? :roll:

mbogo
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Ruger doesn't make AK mags.(money money money) In a bolt gun I'd rather have mini30 mags. Plus ak mags they are heavy and have a lot of variation that can cause jams.
The stock swapping option is a great idea! Although I bet it's only a matter of time before Ruger switches their .223 and 300blk guns to mini14 type mags.

R
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Steel AK mags are heavy because they are built to be relatively bombproof. As for variation, you can pretty much take any country's original military production AK mag in 7.62x39 and put it in any other country's AK rifle in that caliber, and it will work. You start dealing with calibers like .223 that there was never an original combloc standard for (or aftermarket/cheap magazines), and only then do you really run into inconsistencies since each manufacturer/country did their own thing.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

I have some east German ak mags that I expect to last several lifetimes. No way I'd want to use them in a bolt action carbine though. Too heavy and cumbersome. As far as mill/import ak mags working in any ak. That's just not true. I've run into plenty of cruddy jam causing ak mags(surplus, new usa made and new mill type).(this especially true with poorly made us aks) There is no set standard for manufacturing ak mags.
Ruger mini 30 mags run around 25bucks a pop. At that price I can buy a couple and be a happy camper with my 7.62x39 bolt gun. I think Ruger made the right call.

R
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

There are a lot of AK magazines out there (Korean, etc) that look like original military production, but which are not, FYI. That's not to say you can't find bad military issue mags, but in general they tend to be pretty solid, which is a minor miracle considering how many different countries have made them. Probably one of the best military magazine systems ever designed.

Agreed on being a bit heavy and clunky for a lightweight bolt action, but that's true of semi auto mags in general, and one reason why AICS magazines are popular for bolt guns.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Yeah I like I use east German ak mags. Built like a tank! The plastic rotary mags ruger has used in the American 300blk and 308 has kept me from buying one. I don't even like the rotary mag in my 10/22. I was saving up for a scout in 308 because it uses ACIS type mags. With a little luck I'll pick up one of the new mini-30 mag Americans around xmas. I'll post a review and pics when I do.

R