Nickel boron bcg on sale at surplus ammo

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

vanhorn_s

Nickel boron bcg on sale at surplus ammo

Post by vanhorn_s »

I just got an email from surplusammo.com, and their nickel boron bcg is on sale for $89.99. I just bought one from them last week for 96.99.

http://www.surplusammo.com/bolt-carrier ... fc0819908c

They also have a phosphate one for $67.99, and nitride for $69.99.
Ghmann
Silent Operator

Re: Nickel boron bcg on sale at surplus ammo

Post by Ghmann »

How are the Nickle Boron BCGs compared to the Black Nitride?
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Ghmann wrote:How are the Nickle Boron BCGs compared to the Black Nitride?
Equally durable in practical terms, but slightly slicker and easier to clean. Shinier too.

Both are more than good enough for all uses, as are older types of finishes. the slick finish of nibo is less abrasive to the aluminum that it rubs on, but on the other hand Nitride rubs off the black and leaves smooth surface hardened metal underneath. As the pores clog with aluminum it too, is less abrasive than parkerize type finishes.
SuedePflow
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SuedePflow »

Ghmann wrote:How are the Nickle Boron BCGs compared to the Black Nitride?
To expand on GunFunZS's post; it really depends on who did the work too. Not all NiB jobs are equal, and I'd guess the same applies to nitride jobs. I bought one of these NiB BCG's after seeing this post and it's very different from my other NiB BCG's. Aside from this BCG, I have NiB BCG's rom Spikes, WMD, and AP Customs. All of those are far smoother/slicker, but they also all cost quite a bit more.

See image below. SAA on the left and Spikes on the right. You can see the difference. SAA has noticeable machining marks on every inch of the carrier. They are felt, not just seen. Their NiB looks and fells more like the carrier was bead blasted instead. It's not smooth/slick/slippery like the Spikes carrier. I have a Faxon nitrided BCG is that leaps and bounds smoother and slicker than this SAA NiB BCG. So, like I said, it really matters who's BCG and who's surface treatment we're talking about.

All that being said, as long as this carrier functions fine, I'm happy with it. I didn't expect top-notch quality from a sub-$100 BCG. All I expect from it is reliable functionality for a parts/beater rifle.

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Aim surplus BCGs are known for really good fit and finish at the base level prices, including things like ultralight bcgs, etc. I would be hard pressed to come up with any functional advantage for anything over $150, with the exception of the bootleg BCG which has a gas vent mode for suppressors.
SuedePflow
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SuedePflow »

GunFunZS wrote:Aim surplus BCGs are known for really good fit and finish at the base level prices, including things like ultralight bcgs, etc. I would be hard pressed to come up with any functional advantage for anything over $150, with the exception of the bootleg BCG which has a gas vent mode for suppressors.
AIM BCG's are good for what they cost. I put one of their lightweight BCG's in an ultralight build for my father because his budget was running tight once we neared the end, and it's been working out great so far. A few things worth noting; The NiB on Aim's BCG's is not nearly as nice as that used on the Spikes, WMD, and FailZero BCG's. It's a lot better than phosphate, but there's a reason why it's cheaper... Also, their lightweight BCG is very nice for the money, but if you need lightweight while retaining the forward assist serrations, you'll be spending $240 for a Faxon BCG. Or if you need it to weigh less than 8.9oz, you're spending $300+ on aluminum or titanium.

I appreciate what AIM is offering, but there's still a market for those expensive ones.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

The three AIM NiB BCGs I purchased all rusted where the gas key was staked and under the gas key. This was in a controlled environment and in the original packaging, while they were stored after purchase and before installation. The first one I installed has the NiB coming flaking off on the bottom of the carrier, where the hammer rides against it when it is cycing. The hammer is a NiB coated ALG Defense ACT trigger, that shows no wear.
The AAC NiB BCG in my factory AAC produced AR that was stored in the same environment is perfect. I'm done buying cheap BCGs.
The AXTS nitride BCG I bought on close out when they changed their name to Radian is absolutely beautiful, worth the money at full price.