I am Now a Smoker!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

I am Now a Smoker!!!

Post by tallburnedmidget »

So I bought myself a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40" for Christmas and have 2 successful smokes under my belt!
I'm still working out intricacies of my smoker and learning a bunch about smoking meats and all things related, BUT I am trilled about this new adventure.

Get ready for some smoked meat recipes and/or posts to be coming to the Recipes thread and such.

Anyone else here on any of the smoking meat forums out there on the internet?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: I am Now a Smoker!!!

Post by plant.one »

welcome to the club :)

ps: even c heap generic store bought spiral sliced hams taste amazing when cooked in the smoker. Just sayin ! :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

plant.one wrote:welcome to the club :)

ps: even c heap generic store bought spiral sliced hams taste amazing when cooked in the smoker. Just sayin ! :)
Thanks.

I'll take a pic of mine this weekend. I did an easy modification/add-on so I can cold smoke. It is known as the "mailbox mod".
I did it a bit different then the ones I saw out there but so far so good and actually I am extremely pleased with my version over the one people seem to apply.

Gonna try ground Venison bacon this weekend. Probably going to do half a batch (12.5 pounds) for my first run to see how I like it and what I want to change for the next batch. I'll be sure to post the results :)
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

Get a bag of shelled pecans. Rinse them off with water in the bag. Dump out onto a paper towel and pat dry with another. Add/put pecans onto/into aluminum pan and season with spices (Gator Hammock Cooter Rubb is great, they make other great spices too) Put in smoker when adding other meats. Take out and enjoy when done. Length of time varies with temp of smoker.
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

Get some thick cut bacon and lay it out on cooling tray so that airflow is all around. Place cooling tray on cookie pan with edges so that the Bacon goodness drips into pan. Smoke with other foods for about 4hrs. When done, drain Bacon goodness into a jar, let cool, and then place in fridge.

When preparing your eggs in the AM use some of the gift from the Bacon gods instead of butter to fry your eggs.
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I think those smokers really do a good job. It's almost as easy as set it and forget it.

I found mine to be difficult to keep clean and was subject to mildew accumulation from my poor cleaning regimen. But it would sure cool the heck out of some meat.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

First let me say Photobucket SUCKS !!! I spent an hour and 35 min. effin with that stupid site before I got ONE pic uploaded !!!

Now with that off my chest, to the topic at hand.

I've been smoking stuff with fins, fur and feathers for, lets just say a looong time ..... Awesome piece of kit the smoker is.

But this Christmas I got a cold smokin attachment for an electric smoker. The problem I have though is I don't have an electric smoker ..... So I came up with this device, along the same lines as Rebels scope !!! :lol: :

I have since bought a 20 gallon trash can I'm workin on for the cold smoke chamber for doin cheese, salt, nuts, fruit, veggies, and such. 80 to 85 degrees is as hot as it should get for proper flavor, a problem in the summer from what I hear. No problemo this time of year though.

I have had excellent results with the cardboard box, but need somethin more "permanent". I would post pics of the new contraption, but I'm not dealin with Photo Bucket again today !!!
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
plant.one wrote:welcome to the club :)

Thanks.

I'll take a pic of mine this weekend. I did an easy modification/add-on so I can cold smoke. It is known as the "mailbox mod".
I did it a bit different then the ones I saw out there but so far so good and actually I am extremely pleased with my version over the one people seem to apply.

Gonna try ground Venison bacon this weekend. Probably going to do half a batch (12.5 pounds) for my first run to see how I like it and what I want to change for the next batch. I'll be sure to post the results :)
did you get an amazn smoker tray then?

the "mailbox" size one shoudl fit on the two bars left on the smoker/heat box in your electric, FWIW.

thats where i put mine.

as a helpful note - lighting the wood pellets used in those tray's is easiest when coupled with a propane torch. dont waste your time with a regular lighter. learned that lesson pretty quick :lol: :oops:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ARHuman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ARHuman »

Get some macaroni and cheese - homemade, storebought or out of a box - enough to fill a baking pan, and put that in the smoker for an hour. Stir once and smoke another hour. Crazy good.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

plant.one wrote: did you get an amazn smoker tray then?

the "mailbox" size one shoudl fit on the two bars left on the smoker/heat box in your electric, FWIW.

thats where i put mine.

as a helpful note - lighting the wood pellets used in those tray's is easiest when coupled with a propane torch. dont waste your time with a regular lighter. learned that lesson pretty quick :lol: :oops:
Yeah I'm using the AMNPS. I'm using a flat/rectangular wall hanging mail box. I have a 3inch 90degree elbow duct joint going directly from the smoker to the mailbox like the image below but I am using the other type of mailbox and I used 2 strong magnets to make sure the mailbox sticks to the smoker. It is super streamlined and so far for 2 smokes works like a charm! :)
I'll get an image of mine posted this weekend.

Thanks for the tip on lighting. I have a butane bbq lighter that has been working ok. I will probably buy a propane torch though as I'm sure it would be handy for various little projects I get myself into :)

ARHuman wrote:Get some macaroni and cheese - homemade, storebought or out of a box - enough to fill a baking pan, and put that in the smoker for an hour. Stir once and smoke another hour. Crazy good.
That sounds awesome! Any temp advice? Any particular wood advice for smoking the mac n cheese?