seattle city council passes both per gun ($25) and per BULLET ($0.05) tax

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

seattle city council passes both per gun ($25) and per BULLET ($0.05) tax

Post by plant.one »

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ty-limits/

On August 10, the Seattle City Council ignored Washington’s preemptive statute on gun laws and unanimously passed a five cent tax that will be applied to every bullet sold within city limits. The ordinance will also place a $25 tax on every firearm sold in city limits.

Breitbart News previously reported the tax was pushed by City Council president Tim Burgess, who suggested the expense of caring for gunshot victims in 2014 merited a punitive tax forcing the gun industry to pay its fair share. Burgess did not consider the fact that the tax will not be paid by gun or ammo makers but by law-abiding citizens purchasing guns and ammo at retail outlets. Moreover, he did not consider that law-abiding citizens were not the driving force behind a high number of gunshot victims in 2014. Rather, criminals who buy their guns and ammo on the streets were.

His tax will never touch those criminals.

Moreover, Burgess’ tax flies in the face of Washington’s preemption statute. The Seattle Times explained that statute forbids municipalities from passing regulations that impact “registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation… or any other element” of firearm ownership or commerce. Because of this, Burgess himself admitted that the city will likely face lawsuits if his tax is enacted.

Yet the City Council unanimously supported the measure by an 8-0 vote?

NBC 6 reports that opponents of the tax vow a swift legal response in light of the state’s preemption statute.

so how hard is it to move a FFL? cuz i see a bunch of them relocating 2 blocks outside the city limits ASAP.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Re: seattle city council passes both per gun ($25) and per BULLET ($0.05) tax

Post by 68Guy »

Oh but if it will "only save ONE life..." :roll: Needless to say - this is why I DONT live in WA. Unfortunately, Colorado isn't far behind. We took back some seats from the Dems in the last election but just not enough to get the majority and throw out some of the dumb a$$ rules that were enacted....
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

68Guy wrote:Oh but if it will "only save ONE life..." :roll: Needless to say - this is why I DONT live in WA. Unfortunately, Colorado isn't far behind. We took back some seats from the Dems in the last election but just not enough to get the majority and throw out some of the dumb a$$ rules that were enacted....

I took part in that recall!!!
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

"Moreover, Burgess’ tax flies in the face of Washington’s preemption statute. The Seattle Times explained that statute forbids municipalities from passing regulations that impact “registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation… or any other element” of firearm ownership or commerce. Because of this, Burgess himself admitted that the city will likely face lawsuits if his tax is enacted."

So as other ignorant self serving legislators and elected officials, Burgess admits he he wishes to violate the law in addition to potentially paying out a large sum of taxpayers money to fight for his asinine wishes in court.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

I will never spend a single dollar in Oregon, Washington, or California again...their policies will keep me away, though i'm sure some of my money goes to companies there...i just will avoid the entire left coast if possible...sorry, chedr...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Yet another gun control scheme where the elite try to prevent the poor from owning the means to protecting themselves and loves ones.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

^oo-rah Sarge. It's got all the moral virtue of the old poll tax, and likely the exact same "disparate impact" on minorities that so-called progressives claim to despise.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Liberal political hacks could care less about laws they don't agree with, they think the ends justify any and all ways of gaining total control over the citizen, during the Bolshevik revolution they created a gun control registration scheme, as people registered as firearms owners and left the registration centers they were shot in the head as they exited.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

This is because we allowed cigarettes to be taxed.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

300Blk wrote:This is because we allowed cigarettes to be taxed.
I disagree, because cigarettes are not protected by the constitution.

The cigarette tax, on the otherhand, is what brought us the New York Soda Tax...

The right to defend one's self is an inalienable right, and one can choose the manner of defense, up to and including a firearm. This is exactly like a voter poll tax (which the supreme court said you cannot do - tax a right; but yet the NFA tax stands). Note, a Voter ID law (which I favor) is different, because its not a tax, and it is free to any legal citizen.

The biggest issue with this law, especially if it is NOT struck down, is that liberals (why are they called progressives - they are nothing of the sort) will see this as something that they could do federally. If that happens, I'm buying stock in Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Horandy, etc....