Bug out/Go bag. I need suggestions... (Updated)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bug out/Go bag. I need suggestions... (Updated)

Post by CoheedKillgannon »

Clastac wrote:Looks like a great bag.
Whatcha puttin' in that thing?
Thanks. I already added these 2 kits to it.

http://www.deltaoutdoorsman.com/scart/i ... ductId=124

http://www.deltaoutdoorsman.com/scart/i ... ductId=122

My goal is to build something similar to this generic list posted here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_out_ba ... l_contents

nolwark76 wrote:I would highly recommend working out with it... etc.
Yea man, I agree with everything you said 100%. I have already set aside some weights that I plan to put into all of the large pockets of the bag. There's a lot of hills around my neighborhood and it should provide me with a decent environment to condition myself. These bug out bags truly are a big investment. I want to build up the contents and customize it gradually over time and I want to avoid going past 75 pounds of total weight. In my area, it's funny how much we take for granted. So many conveniences around me. Lately I've been wondering what would happen if it all stopped working. Would everything eventually turn into Book of Eli or Mad Max...

Yup I agree with you on the blk, it's going to be my go-to rifle too for this bag. It's the main reason why I chose Eberlestock over Maxpedition, Camelback, or Eagle Industries etc. I'm also thinking about ways of tying a 5.56 upper to the side of the bag. I guess I could just get a side scabbard for that...

Ariac wrote:Excellent choice man, mine has been great. Their customer service is great to.
Yea I don't regret this purchase at all. Ceylon Blackwell's customer service is very good. I talked to him on the phone. He's a really friendly guy.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Instead of a 5.56 upper, why not a lightweight .30-06 or .308 bolt gun? With a 5.56 upper only you still basically have 1 rifle. If you carry both super sonic and sub sonic ammo, plus 5.56, you've got at least 3 different rounds to carry. In a SHTF situation, I'd hate to get mags mixed up and grab the wrong mag for the wrong upper.

I got a Savage .30-06 for $450, with a cheap Chinese scope. I'd like to get a Redfield as they are made here in Oregon. It shoots 1 5/8" at 200 with factory 150 soft points. It's light, got better range, and idiot proof. When all else fails, a good bolt gun works.

I still like my 5.56 rifles but I will have less and less use for them as I get dies to roll my own BLK. The 300 BLK is good out to 400 yards. If you are actively being engaged at further than that, you either need to go somewhere else or have time to use a bolt gun. Better performance than a 5.56 since you aren't going to get much range past a BLK anyway and it's more accurate at that range since it's still clipping along at high speed.

The Savage is good, but I'd like to build a custom Remington 700 in .30-06 with good glass. A 9" BLK (when it gets approved) and an 06, what else could you want except an M1A1 to travel in? In my opinion, that's the perfect combo of firepower, flexability, and lightweight. Add the ability to use my can and subsonics as well as use the can on the 06, very good.

I don't romanticise about the world coming to an end, it would be horrific and scary. However, I want to be prepared to do my best and I want it not to be a fair fight! I intend to have barter items, a bible, medical supplies so I can help out where I can but my family comes first and if others didn't prepare when they could have, get right with God before you check out I guess.
Clastac

Post by Clastac »

CoheedKillgannon wrote:
Clastac wrote:Looks like a great bag.
Whatcha puttin' in that thing?
Thanks. I already added these 2 kits to it.

http://www.deltaoutdoorsman.com/scart/i ... ductId=124

http://www.deltaoutdoorsman.com/scart/i ... ductId=122

My goal is to build something similar to this generic list posted here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_out_ba ... l_contents

nolwark76 wrote:I would highly recommend working out with it... etc.
Yea man, I agree with everything you said 100%. I have already set aside some weights that I plan to put into all of the large pockets of the bag. There's a lot of hills around my neighborhood and it should provide me with a decent environment to condition myself. These bug out bags truly are a big investment. I want to build up the contents and customize it gradually over time and I want to avoid going past 75 pounds of total weight. In my area, it's funny how much we take for granted. So many conveniences around me. Lately I've been wondering what would happen if it all stopped working. Would everything eventually turn into Book of Eli or Mad Max...

Yup I agree with you on the blk, it's going to be my go-to rifle too for this bag. It's the main reason why I chose Eberlestock over Maxpedition, Camelback, or Eagle Industries etc. I'm also thinking about ways of tying a 5.56 upper to the side of the bag. I guess I could just get a side scabbard for that...
Ariac wrote:Excellent choice man, mine has been great. Their customer service is great to.
Yea I don't regret this purchase at all. Ceylon Blackwell's customer service is very good. I talked to him on the phone. He's a really friendly guy.
I have found that a modified Condor shotgun scabbard works well for this...
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

nolwark76 wrote:Instead of a 5.56 upper... etc.
Nolwark,

Again you made really good points, thanks. That's stuff I didn't even think about. It's been a while since I checked out decent bolt guns. I bet I could find a decently priced Remington or Savage. If I went with one of those as a back-up, I could dedicate all my magazines to 300 blk.

Yea I feel the same way. I truly hope I never live to see an actual SHTF scenario in my life-time. If I ever have kids I can at least hand all of this stuff down to them so that they can make use of it.

Clastac wrote:I have found that a modified Condor shotgun scabbard works well for this...
Thanks, I'll check that out later. I don't want to spend more than $30 or $40 for a side scabbard. I think Cheaper Than Dirt sells Condor gear at decent prices.
Last edited by CoheedKillgannon on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

CK, I shot the 300 BLK with subsonics and my can today. It was awesome! Sorry you can't have a can. Oh well, joke's on me...I got my truck stuck in the mud and it will be Monday before I can get it out. Crap.
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

nolwark76 wrote:CK, I shot the 300 BLK with subsonics and my can today. It was awesome! Sorry you can't have a can.
Hahaha, that's great! I had a feeling it would work just fine suppressed.

Yea you guys are lucky over there. You get to have all the cool toys :mrgreen:
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

For now...
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Can we get an update? How's the pack working out for you? I am going to buy an Eberlestock but which one to get? I really like the Gunslinger 2 as it's a good size, you can carry a rifle and plenty of stuff for a get home bag. The problem I'm having is that I'm really drawn to the Skycrane II. I have expensive tastes what can I say?

I like the idea of the G1 being able to be removed and the pack streamlined. Then I've still got the main Skycrane II pack. I'm thinking hunting pack and meat hauling capabilities.

All their packs are awesome but I only want to buy one. Yes with the Skycrane II it may end up being way to big to move light and fast for BOB but having the options for using it for other things is what draws me to it. I'd like to compete in the Iron Man competition in the trooper division. You have to carry your precision rifle, carbine, shotgun, and pistol, most of your ammo, all your food, a minimum amount of water all on your back for the multi day competition. The Skycrane II seems like it would be the pack to use. Also when backpacking with small children, I'll end up taking a lot of their stuff even if going light so their developing knees and back won't be taxed too much.

There are way to many options between the Skycrane II and the Gunslinger.