Jarem08
Silent Operator

Re: cooking triumph!!!

Post by Jarem08 »

Thanks for the pic.

Now I am fighting a growling stomach.

Lunch is coming soon.

Good job Rebel.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

That is a good looking biscuit. To be honest, the only meal that I can cook really good is breakfast. But it took me a long time to master good gravy.

I'd either get it too thick or too thin. Or too doughy.

But I never liked that pale bulldog gravy like they get out of a bag at dairy queen and hardees and mcdonalds. If it doesn't have sausage or bacon grease (or both) in it, it just ain't right.

If you really want a challenge, try making some corn meal gravy sometime. My Granny on my Dad's side was the worlds best at that. I sure do miss those days around their table. The whole family got together every Sunday after church for a meal. And I mean the WHOLE family. There were often 30 of us, and on special occasions when some of my out of town family came in (around memorial day usually) there would be upwards of 50 of us.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Found a old family recipe for biscuits....not many ingredients, but one is melted lard. Will have to whoop up a batch later when I have some room for them! On a quick diet this week to tune my body up for a semi annual visit to a quack. The less luggage I have the quicker I get out of the office!

One of my childhood memories of biscuits is duck and gravy with biscuits. Was a regular for many years at my grandmother's house. My only job was to
supply the ducks! I can smell it cooking now!

Good job, Rebel!
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Nice!

I'm working on learning to make Kolaches myself. It's a challenge, and it's not doing my diet much good, either!

I've kind of given up (at least for now) figuring out how to make the perfect biscuit. Of course, to me perfect means the recipe isn't too complicated …
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

I am no expert by any means, but I do dabble.

I have a German friend and he introduced me to the wonderful food called Maldascha!

:P
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

der Teufel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 pm Nice!

I'm working on learning to make Kolaches myself. It's a challenge, and it's not doing my diet much good, either!

I've kind of given up (at least for now) figuring out how to make the perfect biscuit. Of course, to me perfect means the recipe isn't too complicated …
It is very simple - remember the Southern biscuit is a quick bread. It's really all in your hands. That is the secret, don't work the dough to much.
2 cups self rising WINTER harvested biscuit flour - Southern Biscuit, White Lily, ect.
Sift into a large bowl and make a well in the center.

1/2 cup Crisco shortening, leaf lard or butter.

1 cup buttermilk. (Whole milk may be used)
Add fat to flour, work it in with just the tips of your fingers. Add milk a bit at a time stirring with a spoon until incorporated.
This should resemble stiff mashed potatoes. Empty dough on a heavily floured surface, pad out into a circle. Making sure both sides are floured.
Fold over 4 times and pad out to a circle again.
Cut into 9 pieces, make those round and place into a 12 inch cast iron skillet that has been greased.
20 min. at 425.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

My best biscuits are WOP biscuits. I wop the tube on the edge of the counter to open it, put the biscuits in a greased pan and wait for the timer to go off. Perfect biscuits every time.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

LOL

I can't even say I have the perfect biscuit every time with WOP biscuits :lol:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Son of a biscuit that looked good! :)

Is it odd that basically anytime I eat a biscuit it's as a dessert? I put fresh local honey or sorghum syrup on it and mmmmmmm it's good! :D