I'm tired

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

I'm tired

Post by rebel »

You know fella's, I've had a ton of support from some of the guys here in my business. Last summer was just so flat, no sales much though I tried to spur some shooting interest with my range. Got a bit behind so I've been open 6 days a week for the past month to catch up since it's hunting season. It's helping so wish me luck. I just sold a very coveted piece I obtained about 20 years ago- Colt Anaconda, 4 inch in 45 Colt - not very common. I can dump this $$ back into my business for a bit of relief. I have found that my business is more coveted, I love what I do. But I'm tired. I was going to reload this evening but my dog held me down on the recliner :mrgreen:
Doubt I get to hunt much, besides the neighbors have shot everything that walks the past 5 years. Camera up 7 weeks with one deer pic - yeah, that is one pic. Used to have 6-12 on camera at one time.
Been painting some guns on the side, custom work mostly. That helps.
Ramble off - shop local guys, we appreciate it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: I'm tired

Post by dellet »

Yeah, but now you can join the chamber of commerce and probably get a free meal once a month. :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

rebel wrote:You know fella's, I've had a ton of support from some of the guys here in my business. Last summer was just so flat, no sales much though I tried to spur some shooting interest with my range. Got a bit behind so I've been open 6 days a week for the past month to catch up since it's hunting season. It's helping so wish me luck. I just sold a very coveted piece I obtained about 20 years ago- Colt Anaconda, 4 inch in 45 Colt - not very common. I can dump this $$ back into my business for a bit of relief. I have found that my business is more coveted, I love what I do. But I'm tired. I was going to reload this evening but my dog held me down on the recliner :mrgreen:
Doubt I get to hunt much, besides the neighbors have shot everything that walks the past 5 years. Camera up 7 weeks with one deer pic - yeah, that is one pic. Used to have 6-12 on camera at one time.
Been painting some guns on the side, custom work mostly. That helps.
Ramble off - shop local guys, we appreciate it.
I'm sorry to hear about the harder times. I hope it all get's better for you rebel.
Maybe you'll get to do some feral cat hunting to tide you over :D
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Glad you're getting the ship righted buddy, but hate to hear how much you're giving up to get it there but whatever it takes. One of these days when I can pull some free time of my own together to get back west for a bit stopping through and chewing the fat with you is high on my list. I'll make sure to come with a shopping list to do my part for the local rebel economy, much better you than these big box dealers.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ah well, like I said - love what I do. Tha fake homeless guy with "Will work for food" sign next to the interstate makes more cash than I do, but at least what I do is honest work.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:Ah well, like I said - love what I do. Tha fake homeless guy with "Will work for food" sign next to the interstate makes more cash than I do, but at least what I do is honest work.
Even the pan handling industry has problems. :shock:

Had a customer bring a young lady in with car problems and tell me to call him first with the cost so he could take care of it. As the bill grew, so did the number of sponsors from the one of the local churches.

At some point it became clear the car needed more work than it was worth and this is when things got interesting.

Part of my responsibility was to determine if the car was safe for a single mom to haul her kids from home to school, and her, to and from work. Even if she made a separate trip for each kid and the job, this would amount to about 50 miles a day max.

During my inspection of the car, I had reason to get into the trunk area to check out the lights. This is where I found the stack of signs and a five gallon bucket.

Turns out she had an un-reported source of income besides the job, state and fed handouts for disabled children, the local church. While her car was in the shop, someone had loaned her thier extra one to use. She was racking up anywhere between 3-500 miles a day. She had a regular circuit of corners where she would sit with a Down syndrome kid and a bucket collecting cash. She had the smarts to take the scam far enough away from home to limit the chances of being seen and recognized. :evil:

Last I heard she had relocated. No more free rent, no more church sponsors, no more tips where she was working as a waitress with a sob story.

Seems it’s a high risk occupation. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Man, she needs to be whooped with saw briar.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:Ah well, like I said - love what I do. Tha fake homeless guy with "Will work for food" sign next to the interstate makes more cash than I do, but at least what I do is honest work.
If you're doing what you love, and manage to still love it when it's your job, you're more successful than most.

I make a pretty decent living doing something I used to like. :roll:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I know that it's not any real consolation to you, but I went through the same thing when I had my FFL's.

After flappy ears got elected in 08 and then the terrible school shooting soon after, even FFL's couldn't get any inventory for hardly anything.

Ultimately, I didn't renew the licenses for the 4th time at that point. I couldn't justify it with no fresh inventory available, sales were terrible as a result. can't sell something if you cant' get it. I wasn't a huge dealer in the first place.

So, it was what it was.

As for hunting, deers are fewer this year here too. I only have a couple coming around. On a normal year, I have at least 10 different ones. But this year, there are 4.

So, in hope to not put any more pressure on them, I'm not deer hunting this year. I dusted off the old shotgun and have been squirrel hunting instead.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Hang in there buddy.

I understand the frustration with hunting. I haven't been hunting in almost 4 years. I'm trying to get something set up before the end of the season. I just got to find the time in between work and life. I really hate not being able to hunt too.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in