Favorite jerky recipe

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Favorite jerky recipe

Post by Jcm800 »

It's that time of the year. Got a nice doe over the weekend. I always make the first one into jerky, minus the backstraps. Have used this recipe for the last 20 years. It always gets rave reviews....even from people that hate venison. Usually get 6) 1gal bags from a decent deer. Use 3 Nesco 4 tray dehydrators to save time.

Marinate 20-24 hrs, stir after 10 hrs. Cook 4 - 4 1/2hrs at 160 deg, rotate trays @ 2 hrs

Switched to 4 blade Slick Trick broadheads this year. Doe didn't make it 20 yds before piling up.
Quartering away, double lung shot....I was impressed.

Post your favorite recipe.....if you can't read this I'll post a close up.

Best deer tracking dogs I've had.....didn't need them this time :lol:
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Favorite jerky recipe

Post by Omega »

I got one of those Lem jerky shooter guns, at first I was quite skeptical but now I love it. It makes making jerky less of a hassle and it tastes great, and good texture. And now I don't have to cut up a good piece of venison to get some jerky unless I want to.
https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-555 ... B002L80J78

I use the Nesco spicy jerky mix, but they have other flavors. The best thing is that its 1 Spice & 1 Cure envelope per lb of venison and you don't have to wait long to let it cure.
http://www.nesco.com/products/Hot-and-S ... 368418f0f/

I also have the same dehydrator, it works great, better I think, than my other one that has the fan/heater on the bottom.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Yea the Nesco's do work great. Have a local bed bath beyond that is going out of business, I went in there today and grabbed two more at 50% off.

I never used a jerky gun. Do you bake it in the oven or use the dehydrator. That looks easy.

I've seen where you can roll the seasoned ground into a log and make a summer sausage.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Jcm800 wrote:Yea the Nesco's do work great. Have a local bed bath beyond that is going out of business, I went in there today and grabbed two more at 50% off.

I never used a jerky gun. Do you bake it in the oven or use the dehydrator. That looks easy.

I've seen where you can roll the seasoned ground into a log and make a summer sausage.
Dehydrator just like normal, and yes, it is real easy. The gun holds most of the 1lb, if not all and I give two good squeezes per strip. The only issue is the very last piece gets stuck in the tip, but I get it out and form it into a puck. Most friends don't realize it was ground venison, they think it's sliced. 4 or 5 lbs fit the 5 racks in the dehydrator, I fill it every time I make some.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~