Interpol to FBI to local LE- to our son (big brother is watching)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Interpol to FBI to local LE- to our son (big brother is watching)

Post by hardcase »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this.

Our 28 y.o. son is really into online gaming. Some I don't like due to the violent nature but he is living in his on place, has a job, etc.

Last night local PD called and said they were looking for him. They had gotten word by way of Interpol and the FBI he was in danger and they could not find him. LE showed up at his employer but he was not working at the time. Naturally everyone there thought he was a dope pusher or something. Scared us to death.

He got it cleared up but the scary part is who the heck is watch all of us, especially those of us with multiple firearms and post online? I DON'T LIKE IT. Makes me want to unplug, throw my internet connection away.

The Patriot Act, high tech computers and the internet will be the downfall of the USA.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Interpol to FBI to local LE- to our son (big brother is watching)

Post by dellet »

Did you ask what game he was playing? :shock:

The amount of electronic surveillance is pretty shocking. Self checkouts that record the transaction with video is possibly the craziest one that people seem to embrace.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i'm wondering if it was almsot like a case of "swatting" as revenge for something that happened in an online gaming venue.

having been part of the gaming universe for a long time i dont think its as likely to be a big brother thing as it is a little snowflake thing.

someone gets lippy after a bad loss, he told them to pound sand, words were exchanged, butthurt ensued, and a call to authorities was made. the gaming universe is of course worldwide which could explain the Interpol part.

"ya this wanker i was gaming with was talking shit about wanting to shoot something up because he was depressed about his girl" or whatever excuse they came up with.

give the gamers user name, IP's traced back thru the game server account, and there you go. Their word against his, but because of the current environment of "now we have to track down EVERY report, no matter how frivolous".... you have a contact from the local PD checking on things for your son.

one of the games i used to play online, someone slipped a spy account into our alliance, and got some basic personal info about most of our alliance leadership via a skype chatroom we used outside of the game. nothing major (as most of us were smart enough to keep most of our personal info secure). i used to have people on the opposite team threaten to come to Detroit to kick my ass all the time because of said butthurt after a bad in-game trouncing or some such. "go ahead buddy, anytime you're ready". i used to screenshot and archive it anytime it happened, but it never went anywhere past someone talking trash. wouldnt have been a hard stretch for them to report something unfounded to the local authorities though, and get traced thru my online accounts - which is why more than anything i used to screenshot incidents when they happend.

now of course with most of the online chatting on gaming being voice, its harder to archive those kinds of interactions, but yea... i can see that playing out about like that
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Wow. So this is what is replacing Chess or Checkers at the local barber shop, then having a cold one after the game.

I have an original Mario Brothers with duck hunt from my younger days, but otherwise it is board games or cards. Rook, hearts, little poker every now and then. At least you know who your oponents are and no FBI. And no incident record with them.

I am beginning to think "Jack Reacher" had the right idea.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

The gamer angle is interesting. Seems like I read a while back that the bad guys were using game platforms to host a private game and use the in game voice chat system (like steam) As an unmonitored real time communication network accessible anywhere with internet.

Big brother knows all. My wife just flew southwest. She is retired mil. Booked the flight online, went to go through the TSA line and they waved her over to the TSA fast pass lane. She was pre approved without even applying. Nice but damn they know all.

An all knowing government scares me more than a couple of Muhammad disciples.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier