Been occupied the last few weekends with something non-gun :)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Been occupied the last few weekends with something non-gun :)

Post by plant.one »

This is my new fancy 3wt (ultralight action) Switch Fly rod. First custom rod i've ever put together.

Its built off a 10' Xi fly rod blank. All black line guides and reel seat. Baston Switch Handle Kit (cork and reel seat) to allow for either traditional single handed casting or more modern two handed casting techniques as well as having a nice large fighting butt if i happen to get into a larger than expected fishy!

Hand wrapped on a CRB rod wrapping station. Being my first build i had a couple FNG oopsies that i was able to overcome, and this turned out to be a LOT of fun!

The accent bands forward of the cork are marked off at 2" intervals for a built in measure, and my first stripping guide is exactly 12" from the tip of the front cork. The first guide ending up exactly at 12" from the handle was PURE 100% luck as its on the 2nd section of the rod! i didnt even realize it until i was wrapping the decorative bands and had the tape out to layout the measuring bands on the handle section of the blank that it worked out that way!

The butt of the rod to the front of the cork is 19" so i also have reference up to 31" using the same accent bands and first eyelet.

My Lighting sucks, at least for taking wide images like this for detail.

Because this will be a two handed casting rod at least part of the time i decided to go longer on the wraps at the Ferrules than typical.
This will help spread the stress created during casting that some two handed fly rod casting techniques can produce.

little bit closer view of the handle section

Decorative Feather Inlay

Decorative spiral wrap between three of the forward accent bands.

I got an amazing model year closeout deal on a Ross Rapid fly reel. This is well beyond the quality i had hoped to pair with this setup, reel wise, but 60% off clearance .... it was an upgrade i would have been CRAZY to pass up.

i cant wait for april 1st to get here so i can go give this a whirl on the local trouts!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Been occupied the last few weekends with something non-gun :)

Post by rebel »

That looks very nice, hope you land a big one with it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

April 1st we might have people looking at us funny driving on the lake. :lol:

Great looking debut rod!
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Man thats great, really nice work!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Do you have bass in your neck of the woods?

Popping bugs on the surface on warm summer evenings is a lot of fun. A live cricket over a brim hole works too.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ya i can catch largemouth from the neighborhood association boat launch like two blocks from here, and there's always a patch of bluegill beds just down the shoreline from there in front of the pavilion. i'll get to them later though :)

i'm waiting for easter so i can break this one in properly with some trouts, they stock 3-5 lb browns and rainbows about 10 mins from here every spring, and april 1st is opening day :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.